Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,716,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
OMG, I have never, ever in my life heard such unmitigated vomit spewed in public. Bigots are usually much more circumspect. What is wrong with Russians? Are they not white enough for you? And Filipinos are some of the most ardent supporters of America left overseas.

As far as the UN forces which you fear, I have seldom seen such poorly led and trained troopers. Given the large population of veterans in this state, I would imagine that an invading army would have it's hands full if they tried driving in from Canada by the time they reached Tok.
Your Reading Comprehension isn't very good; is it, Dear?

And I'd suspect that your capacity for Critical Analysis may be less than stellar.

I happen to identify with the Primeval Russian Vampires (but maybe the terms 'Urals' and 'Kamchatka' are unfamiliar to you? Maybe you haven't experienced Moscow traffic like I have, either?). So those Vamp clips were 'feel-good' videos to me: happy moments of frolic in the dark, quiet, cold. That should have been obvious.

It should also be obvious that I sensed the OP might be contemplating a move to Barrow, because he thought the place might offer refuge from what is happening in the rest of America. There has, for some time, been a consensus that when things get too bad in the Contiguous States of America, one will be able to flee to the Far North...to a climate too cold for "Them". Just in case that sort of flight was OP's motivation for moving to Barrow, I was seeking to disabuse him of the notion that he could escape "Them" by schlepping to the edge of the World.

Many people still have the idea that Alaska is populated entirely by big, hot, bearded, blond MEGADADDIES (who are, in the fantasies of such people, desperately lonely and horny...and oh-so-available), and cute nose-rubbing Eskimos, whose sole purpose in life is to be cute, while otherwise staying out-of-the-way. Not really surprising. People still go to Austin, Texas, and expect to see dudes running around in Cowboy Hats.

But back to that 'Reading Comprehension' thing: there was no 'value judgement', explicit or implicit, about either Russians or Filipinos in what I wrote. But neither group is going to fulfill someone's fantasies of going to Alaska and having unlimited access to (inexplicably) lonely Norwegian Musclebears.

I realize those cable shows about the Fishermen and the Truckers have 75% of the men in America constructing fantasies about all those big, hairy dudes (like maybe a week in a Fishing Shack, alone with Todd Palin and his buddies...something I wouldn't mind, myself, come to think of it...as long as that hateful Wife of his stayed away). But fantasy and reality are seldom the same thing. Most of those big ol' men have even bigger wives, whom they chose knowing full well that they would blossom from 200 to 600 pounds. They like 'em that way.

Even here in Oregon, you see the most strappin' hotties with women whose Blubber could carry them through a whole Ice Age. Nothin' wrong with that. I approve. Just pointing out that gentlemen's fantasies that having 'kept themselves trim' is going to allow them to ditch their wives and take up with Ice Road Truckers....are only fantasies. Guys: an hour a week on the Cybex Circuit at your gym in Cincinnati will not make you worthy of a giant Swedish Lumberjack in the Great North Woods (assuming there still is such a critter).

As for the UN Troops.... What do you think is going to happen, if the UN gets better funding....as in a direct cut of American Taxpayers' Income Taxes? Things are changing incredibly fast. None of the old assumptions are rock-solid-dependable, anymore.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 PM

914 posts, read 2,094,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
You are WRONG kaul !!!

Tai, Phillipino, Samoan are the majority here in Barrow; after the Inupiat residents. There are no Inuit living in Barrow or in Alaska!!

At times I think there are more phillippino living in Barrow than Inupiaq. they have been here for decades!! They hold lots of important jobs here in Barrow.

More assumptions from someone that doesn't even live here.
Asians as the majority in Barrow? The demographics data shows otherwise. Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs. If you call the "9.1% Asians" in Barrow as the majority, you must have serious problem reading numbers. Furthermore, it is laughable for you to declare that there are no Eskimos living in Alaska. Before you can bold your statements to make them sound believable, please do yourself a favor and check the facts again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
At times I think there are more phillippino living in Barrow than Inupiaq. they have been here for decades!! They hold lots of important jobs here in Barrow.
hmmm.......

Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,740,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Asians as the majority in Barrow? The demographics data shows otherwise. Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs. If you call the "9.1% Asians" in Barrow as the majority, you must have serious problem reading numbers. Furthermore, it is laughable for you to declare that there are no Eskimos living in Alaska. Before you can bold your statements to make them sound believable, please do yourself a favor and check the facts again.
hmmm.......

I said There are no Inuit. Do not twist my words Kaul!!

I live with Inupiaq Eskimos for 30 years Kaul. There are NO Inuit in Alaska were my exact words.

If you want Inuit; then go to Canada, Greenland, Russia !!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,163,848 times
And Alaska

Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,913,797 times
Yeah, there are no Inuit in Alaska.

ICC Alaska : Home

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Right Warpt... I was about to get my hip boots on..."it's" getting deep.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,819,459 times
^ Heh, no kidding. No Inuit in Alaska, huh? For someone who lived with them for 200 years or whatever and married one, I would think you would know better.

Inuit is a term that is not used in Alaska because, as I understand it, it does not include Yup'ik people. Inupiaq people are technically Inuit, however.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:35 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,740,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

And the whole thing about it being super-dry in Barrow has been disputed by some people, including Floyd, if I'm not mistaken. I have never felt it for myself, so I can't say, but I know people who live in much drier places that are less cold, such as high-altitude Colorado, who experience joint pain from the cold. I'm not making this up, Valerian Root notwithstanding.
I am so happy you brought up that point as if Floyd is/was infallible. A meterologist stated very plainly on this board months ago, That I was RIGHT but for a different reason than what I stated. Yes the Arctic is extremely dry. even floyd said it is a desert (for precipitation).

Anchorage is very wet (air). Here in the Arctic that is just not the case.

IN Barrow May (the entire month) is 24 hours of pure sunlight

the same is true with June & July, now we got 90 days of it so far and a week and a half 1/2 of it in August !!

Well I have to apologize to you for being so wrong. I just did not realise you were speaking in generalities. I will keep that in mind from now on and just keep my mouth shut.

Some of your assumptions just bug me ok. Its just that plain & simple.

That is just like me making comments about where you live from hearing what others say.

People are under this wierd assumption that if they just google it, they will always come up with the right answer. Too many times it is the opposite of what some people intend.

I would like to provide you and excellent example of what I am talking about.

A certain person made a big fuss over this supposed fact: (according to him) that whales only travel UNDER THE THICKEST ICE.

There is nothing to support that statement. It is ridicilous!

Here is a sign that says the exact opposite- and yet that person still maintains the sign is wrong!! It's 20 years old he claims. Whales breathing habits have not changed ok.. I am sure we both agree on that.

Now Lets discuss tis and use just a little common sense here. A whale can't hold its breath for very long. Just how does that whale breathe when it is under 12 feet of ice. Surely it can't bust through that massive ice. So how do they breathe if they travel under the thickest ice ? They dont. simple as that. whales are experts in finding 'cracks' in the ice. they travel THROUGH THE ICE.

It is proven FACT: they can bust through ice as thick as two feet. That is their limit. Scientists have been studying these animals for over 100 years; Guess what ? They have actually learned a lit bit in that time span about these magnificent creatures. But science cannot teach you; what the Inupiaq people have known for many thousands of years.

floyd insists time & time again & again, there is more meat on a whale than blubber, that is absurd and ridiculoous and ANY WHALING captain will tell you the opposite is true. 3/4 times more blubber than the small amount of meat which is only in the chest region.

Any whaling Captain will tell you; Whales are just like children; they each have distinct personalities; which they display in the exact same manner year after year. They give themselves to the captain of their choice. That captain (that is successful) will always have the same events happen, concerning weather, and how the whale behaves after the initial strike. A whale will always match the captains personality!!
Some captains never catch a whale because of their (bad) personality.

I have heard too many whaling captains in too many different villages use the exact same words over and over again. I am not going to be ignorant enough to say it isn't so. This is what they believe. I have personally seen with my own eyes proof of this in 1983.

My mother in law was explaining to me what I have tried to type above about the personalites of whales. She saw the look on my face of disbelief. Puzzlement and questions marks floating up out of my head were clearly visible to her (it seemed). She began to laugh, You watch she said... This year it is warm (temps were about zero-ten below). She continued to laugh, I was noticeably getting bugged, This is Joe's weather she said.. YOU watch!!.. ..she continued .. when Joe receives a whale it is over very quick. that whale dies on the spot. It always happens very close to the ice. Once he strikes; that whales dies; and is very still. THEN, she said.. Laughing very loud.. GET READY!!.. The temp is going to drop 100 degrees; she kept laughing and said; that wind is going to come in with no warning @ 100 miles per hour!! she continued laughing at me.. I warned you she said.. laughing as she shook her head and walked away!!

Two weeks later; it all went down Exactly like she said it would. I had a witness beside me from Boston who was just as shocked when it went down. Eveyone was running .. .. .. for clothing! Joe was standing up. arms outstretched .. laughing!!! That ferocius wind came in just like she described it 100% right on!!

These people have skills and abilites that are totally un-heard of in your world!!

That was just one observation of a very true story that really happened.

When a captain receives a whale; that whale will always do the same thing; and act in the same manner after it is harpooned. And, so does the weather!! Certain captains have certain other traits. and their whales always act in the same manner. For instance. some whales are stubborn and they want to put on a big show for their gift and it takes many haproons and that whale will thrash and make a big display. That is just one captains. Another might have his whale always hide and go south. Another will always have his whale hide, under the ice. He actually has to use his nose to find it! Now you explain how that is done please?? I have seen it too many times. How can someone possibly smell where that whale is under 12 feet of ice? when it is well below zero.
After much fuss, driving up and down the ice. smelling .. here, there, everywhere, looking at small water puddles, .. DIG HERE.. now you tell me how someone can possibly know that ??? and there it is... right where his nose told him to dig.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm trying to figure out what whales have to do with dry or wet air.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,913,797 times
The whale's snot it blows out of it's hole is the factor in how dry or wet the air is, everyone knows this !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska