U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,009,836 times

Advertisements

How many years does the oil drum heaters last for Alaskan homes? More economical than electric for heating the entire house? With demographics what are the prices around state of Alaska for heating the house year round?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 34,924,135 times
Lots.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 AM

15,599 posts, read 37,087,146 times
I for one, do not heat year round. Whats demographics?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,009,836 times
I think I want to learn about home heating with oil. The Alaskan way even with new modern homes. Self rely is better at the same time being tide into electric grid. Sixy mile radius delivery. Guess one can pay them extra for extra miles added.
Alaska Aerofuel, Inc.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,836 times
COMIN IN YOUR DIRECTION SOON:
WWW.RESTORETHEGULF.GOV

Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 AM

6,381 posts, read 13,175,163 times
Well for what it is worth, I use oil for backup and coal for primary.

Oil is about 3.50 a gallon, the furnace of the house uses about 150 a month in the dead of winter, that is about $550.0+- a month depending on the price of fuel, is about $3300.00 or more a winter.

To use wood, it takes about fourteen cords of wood and burns for about five to six hours before needing restoking (if you buy it cut, they want from $200.00 to $350.00 cut and delivered, so about $2,800.00 if I buy the wood at $200.00 a cord and don't cut it myself.

Coal burns about ten to twelve hours a load and longer, and a ton of coal cost $65.00 at the mine, and a ton of coal is about the same as three to three and a half cords of wood. So if I use four to five tons of coal for the winter it cost about $400.00+- on the average to heat a 3,800 sq ft home for the winter.

A dedicated coal stove cost me about $2,200.00 and paid for itself the first year. I pick up the coal at the Healy mine in the pickup or with a trailer, at two to three tons a trip.

Oil has just gotten too expensive for a lot of folks and coal/wood was always the main heat to Fairbanks til oil showed up in the fifties, now the City of Fairbanks has all sorts of restrictions against burning it, but people are getting fed up with that as well. I don't live even close to Fairbanks so that isn't an issue.

Until they build a gas pipeline from up North, it won't be getting better anytime soon.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM

4,715 posts, read 9,623,384 times
Interesting starlite9 - An eye opener that COAL is that much cheaper...

You would think there would be enough demand for a small oil refinery somewhere in Alaska. (Heck I bet the airlines use enough Jet A to support a small refinery all on there own!) It is a shame that the state that supplies the raw crude oil doesn't refine it themselves. Would go a long way towards getting people to quit burning wood or coal if fuel were a little cheaper.

In your cost analysis, you need to add the cost in fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle you are using to get it since your "wood" costs is a delivered amount. A general rule of thumb is $.55 per mile.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Interesting starlite9 - An eye opener that COAL is that much cheaper...

You would think there would be enough demand for a small oil refinery somewhere in Alaska. (Heck I bet the airlines use enough Jet A to support a small refinery all on there own!) It is a shame that the state that supplies the raw crude oil doesn't refine it themselves. Would go a long way towards getting people to quit burning wood or coal if fuel were a little cheaper.

In your cost analysis, you need to add the cost in fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle you are using to get it since your "wood" costs is a delivered amount. A general rule of thumb is $.55 per mile.

There is are of refineries here in Alaska already, two in North Pole that tap directly off the Pipeline and down on the Kenai Pennisula where they process crude oil from the Cook Inlet. There use to be one up on the North Slope oil
Fields, but don't know if that is still operating or not, use to be they cracked gasoline and diesel, then just diesel and then I heard they shut that down, but don't know for sure.

Regardless of having them here, we still get raped on the prices even when the cost of shipping isn't there! Cost more 10 to 15 cents more a gallon in Fairbanks 12 miles from the refinery verses Anchorage 350 miles away! Even with that, we pay more on average than the States do where "Our" oil is shipped to.

As far as wear and tear to get Coal verses Wood, one ton of coal is one trip about a 100 mile round trip (50 of it empty), which is worth about 3 1/2 cords of would in BTU's, and it would take about six trips in the pickup on rough roads to get that amount of heat using wood if you get it yourself, not to mention a few days of dedicated hard work!

Coal, I back up the 1/2 ton truck, a loader dumps it in the truck for me! Takes about an hour with a shovel to rake it off into the coal crib! My old 3/4 Ton truck would haul two tons, but I traded it in for a newer smaller one!

Last edited by starlite9; 07-17-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM

732 posts, read 1,293,227 times
Starlite,

Do you have problems with fires in your crib? I work in a coal burning industrial facility where we have many safeguards in place to prevent, and occasionally extinguish spontaneous combustion in coal storage.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea whatsoever that folks actually burned coal in their homes.... Just assumed (wrongly as usual) that folks burned oil or wood only....

Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Starlite,

Do you have problems with fires in your crib? I work in a coal burning industrial facility where we have many safeguards in place to prevent, and occasionally extinguish spontaneous combustion in coal storage.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea whatsoever that folks actually burned coal in their homes.... Just assumed (wrongly as usual) that folks burned oil or wood only....

No, don't have more than a few tons so the heat isn't there where you have compression and such. I let the coal run out in the crib so the coal in the fall is fresh as well.

When I worked at the power plant, we also had coal fires in the Coal piled up, but that was different storage and stuff. There was a lot more weight to create the heat. My coal crib is about 8'x8' and the coal is about three feet deep or so when I fill it! But it is away from the house just in case!

Last edited by starlite9; 07-17-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska