U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 AM

34 posts, read 72,582 times

Advertisements

Alright everyone. I need some advice. I have applied to work in both Skagway & Ketchikan for city departments. Now what I need help determining is, which one would I decide to go with. Now I haven't been to either yet, but I'd like to get as much input from people as possible. What I've been able to learn so far is that Skagway is big in the summer for tourism & such, but dies out in the winter & is somewhat on the road system. Ketchikan has more shopping/businesses because of the larger population and would probably be more appealing since I am coming from a large city type atmosphere. I know that's not just what they have, but those were some basic examples. I will get to see both cities/towns before making my decision, but I'd like to see what others think in terms of living/working there day to day.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,716,882 times
Skagway one can drive to Whitehorse, Canada less than 80 miles away for best shopping & food stores. Ferry system it's very easy to get from Skagway to go to Juneau. Skagway does have some apartments to utilize and one can go through sgtprestons.eskagway.com. They have apartments over by white pass rail road company next to the railroad tracks. Skagway has good dinning places. The Pizza Station and The Boat House. If you like driving around. Skagway is the town. Again the ferry system is easy to get on when one is in Skagway or you can drive to Whitehourse, Canada. Some people don't like the winter months high winds in Skagway. In Skagway many hiking trails and new bridge over the river and recreation center very large one open year round. I lived in Skagway for about 5 months summer time. Very nice town.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Depends. Do you have children? Schools in Skagway are the best in the state. The weather is better...it's in a rain shadow so it doesn't get pelted with nearly the rain that most of SE does. You can drive to Whitehorse for shopping, etc. But if you like big city living, both places are going to be a bit of a shock for you.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,716,882 times
Low Clouds at Skagway. Picture from me September 2009. Quite town in off season.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/281945_2255932360423_1311761048_2679073_1925961_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM

34 posts, read 72,582 times
I don't have any kids. It'll just be me going there. I lived in bethel for about 9 months. I'm prior military & have lived in many geographic locations around the world. So I don't think I'd mind being in a small area again. Bob that's a pretty good picture, town does look peaceful. Does it snow a lot in the winter? or is it just rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska