U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 11,946 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know people ask this crap all the time but here it goes. I would like to move from the U.P to a very remote Alaskan town(I'm thinking Lime Village.) The small population and the lack of much modernness makes this place sound ideal. I, like everybody else, have a few questions.

How do people get supplies in this town? I mean, do you have to order it and it gets flown or boated in? Or does a plane or boat come on a regular basis with supplies you can buy? Also about housing, do you have to buy land and build a house or can you just just build on common land? Or can you buy a house that is already there? If you have to build, how do you get building supplies in? And house is food preserved here? Do people have freezers or is everything canned,dried,and frozen(in winter only?) As I understand it, all meat is obtained by hunting and fishing, which I have no problem with. How do you get income here?

In conclusion my three main questions are about getting supplies,income,and housing.

Ok, this ends my questions and please excuse my ignorance.

Except for one thing. When hunting Brown bear, can you just float down the river and get them when they are fishing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,168,729 times
Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnot View Post
Ok, I know people ask this crap all the time but here it goes. I would like to move from the U.P to a very remote Alaskan town(I'm thinking Lime Village.) The small population and the lack of much modernness makes this place sound ideal. I, like everybody else, have a few questions.

How do people get supplies in this town? I mean, do you have to order it and it gets flown or boated in? Or does a plane or boat come on a regular basis with supplies you can buy? Also about housing, do you have to buy land and build a house or can you just just build on common land? Or can you buy a house that is already there? If you have to build, how do you get building supplies in? And house is food preserved here? Do people have freezers or is everything canned,dried,and frozen(in winter only?) As I understand it, all meat is obtained by hunting and fishing, which I have no problem with. How do you get income here?

In conclusion my three main questions are about getting supplies,income,and housing.

Ok, this ends my questions and please excuse my ignorance.

Except for one thing. When hunting Brown bear, can you just float down the river and get them when they are fishing?
I'm sure you will get plenty of answers shortly but one thing I do know (even though I don't live in Alaska) you can't hunt Brown bear without a guide... and the license/tag and to top it off.. you are only allowed 1 brown every four years. Highly regulated trust me...

Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM

306 posts, read 300,857 times
Don't know much about Lime Village, other than it is around 30 people. I live in McGrath and some of the locals go there often. Ive heard brown bear isn't good eating. But black is and we are allowed to hunt them all year around in this area. Because you are not a resident, different laws may apply to you. We have around 300 people in the village, and there is at least a store here where you can get most of what you need. Also it is somewhat easier here to get things flown in because of regular airplane flights and a local post office. We also have someone that provides charter flights of cargo in here that is cheaper than normal cargo flights. All different kinds of people here, from mostly subsistance to very little. But it probably gets a little colder here than Lime village, 40-50 below. There is no scheduled flights to Lime Village, and a ticket round trip here is $450. Mail delivery there is once a month, so you pretty much are on your own for finding out how to get supplies in. You need to be a resident for a year for hunting purposes. Don't need a guide for black bear and they are more readily available.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM

2,433 posts, read 3,553,463 times
Most bush villages have very little opportunties to earn a cash income unless you are a teacher.
If you are really serious about this sort of move, you should plan a trip to Alaska and spend some time with boots on ground seeing what life here is all about.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Ok, thanks for the info about the bear, I do suppose they taste fishy from the salmon they eat.

Keyman51, I Googled McGrath and was looking all the info I could find and it sounds better than Lime Village. There aren't very many people which is what I'm looking for but there are enough to warrant a store to get most of what I need. I can stand the colder temps also. Is it fairly easy to find a job here for unskilled people? I am currently training to be a carpenter but am willing to do most anything. Also, are people willing to "show you the ropes" when you get there? I am talking about finding game, showing you around, and telling you the general stuff you need to know? Will people help you out with meat while waiting for residency in order to get your own?
I would like to move up in the spring so I can get prepared and set up before winter. I planned mainly on bringing my gun, a couple duffel bags of my belongings, all the money I have. Should I bring more?
Is there any land for sale or apartments for rent? Everything I look at says the same thing-no results-

Last edited by bucksnot; 07-20-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 PM

854 posts, read 1,495,230 times
Strongly, strongly, strongly, STERNLY suggest not attempting to move off the road system direct from the lower 48. You CANNOT learn what you need to know on this forum, or any other. With a very good attitude, you MAY be able to find people to teach you things (in exchange for hard, tedious, gross labor), but if you come in totally green, your presence will NOT be appreciated.

Go to one of the very small towns on the road system, rent a dry cabin in the woods, learn what you need to know. Believe me, even this lifestyle shift will be a major shock to the system of almost anyone. Wait to become a resident to get full subsistence priviledges. Even then, DO NOT expect to be able to "live off the land" without some cash income until you've had many years of "wilderness education."

Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 PM

15,695 posts, read 25,302,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnot View Post
Ok, thanks for the info about the bear, I do suppose they taste fishy from the salmon they eat.

Keyman51, I Googled McGrath and was looking all the info I could find and it sounds better than Lime Village. There aren't very many people which is what I'm looking for but there are enough to warrant a store to get most of what I need. I can stand the colder temps also. Is it fairly easy to find a job here for unskilled people? I am currently training to be a carpenter but am willing to do most anything. Also, are people willing to "show you the ropes" when you get there? I am talking about finding game, showing you around, and telling you the general stuff you need to know? Will people help you out with meat while waiting for residency in order to get your own?
I would like to move up in the spring so I can get prepared and set up before winter. I planned mainly on bringing my gun, a couple duffel bags of my belongings, all the money I have. Should I bring more?
Is there any land for sale or apartments for rent? Everything I look at says the same thing-no results-
Spring? There is still ice (packed snow) by the roads in May, which leaves you about two months of summer for you to prepare. The snow starts falling by September, sometimes sooner. For example, we had snow falling late last week in some places already. Moose season happens around September, so I have no idea what "meat" people will help you with

Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM

306 posts, read 300,857 times
I agree with heathen. There is definitely a lifestyle shift here, even if a person gets a place with plumbing and electricity. There is a dislike in people from out of state coming up here, especially if they are brought in to fill a job. You can check out the McGrath internet message board by going to Google - McGrath Alaska. Locals answer questions like they do here and can probably help you find right answers when it comes to laws regarding hunting and trapping.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the honesty. It's more helpful than telling people want they want to here even if it's a lie. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start off living on the road system? I would like an area with very few people (I'm coming up partly for the remoteness) but am relying on your advise about that. I would still like a little info on getting a job. I'm not talking a big college- type job just something to get some cash, even if it's pushing a broom. I don't want to run out of money and not be able to replenish it. Are these jobs common enough to find? My last question for now is how long do you have to be in Alaska to not be an "outsider", "tourist", or "inferior"?
Oh, and I'm sorry if I'm pestering you but I am very serious about this and the more information the better.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,372,730 times
It's one year to having AK residency for hunting/fishing purposes. How long until you are considered local by the people of the area totally depends on them and you. In a small community if you come with some useful skill IMO you are a lot more likely to be welcomed.

There is plenty of very low-population areas on the road system. Heathen's suggestion is a good one IMO. If you start out on the road and with some money in your pocket, you have a lot more options if things don't go well. You are also more likely to be able to find a job in the area, as with roads come things like service stations and shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska