U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 11,120 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Sitka after I retire. Will a pension of $1800 a month allow this? I still have eight years before Soc. Sec. I just need a small abode foe myself.
All replies will be greatly appreciated. Also, may I bring my guns on the ferry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

6,930 posts, read 11,722,585 times
You may bring guns on the ferry. There are rules to abide by though. If you plan on renting you will NOT be able to survive on $1800 a month in Sitka. However, if you are purchasing a home or land and paying cash then you might be able to do it. Rents and housing are not cheap there.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks much Stiffnecked.The reason I asked about my guns is that I see the ferry docks in Canada, so I wasn't sure about that.
Sounds to steep for me. Would Juneau be more reasonable? I just need an effiency appartment or studio.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM

If the ferry only docks in Prince Rupert you are fine as long as your firearm never leaves the ferry. Which it shouldn't. On $1800 a month you're going to have a hard time anywhere in Southeast Alaska. Nothing there is cheap. If you plan on working and earning additional income after retirement then that will change things.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Okay. Thanks for taking the time to reply Stiffnecked. Take care.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,709,924 times
Not knowing squat about what it takes to "live" in Juneau. I did a quick online search and found a 1 bed rm / 1 bath Apartment for $700/Month in the "valley" - wherever that is. It included hot water, heat, water/sewer, and 1 parking space.... Looks like you would need to pay for electricity only.

I do not even know how realistic $700 a month for a 1/1 is there, I just searched until I found a listing with a price.

So can you take care of yourself and other expenses for $1100 a month? I somehow think you will have alot of the same financial challenges wherever you go. Except that AK is expensive to get to and from and as stated here ad nauseam, your staples are more expensive in AK. (Some of this is offset by the PFD, but I would never put that in a budget. You cannot budget it until after at least 2 years, 1 year to establish residency and then you have to wait another to actually get it)

While Stiffnecked is obviously WAY more qualified to answer the question, I thought I would through my .02 in. It also depends on how bad you want to live there vs. how well you want to live.

IF you are still that far from SS and in good health, then you should consider some seasonal work. It seems by reading here, there is plenty of seasonal work in the summer, but that it completely dries up in the winter... In other words don't give up on your dream, if this is really your dream.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks Dakster. After further review I am looking at the Kenai Peninsula,Homer or Soldotna. I see that it's a tad nippier there but after three years at the AFB in Minot,ND I suppose I can handle it. I was looking for a town between 5,000 and 10,000 so actually Juneau is too large for me. One other question though, does the one year residency rule pertain to hunting and fishing licenses? I have no idea what a PFD is. I also have a rental in AZ, but don't count it in my budget as I never know how long it will be between occupancies. Actually it doesn't look too expensive getting up there on the ferry, as I will be traveling light. Thanks again for your reply. Take care

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,800,723 times
I understand the PFD is the refund you get from the IRS on Income Tax - privilege of Alaskans!-

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM

164 posts, read 223,135 times
PFD = Permanent Fund Dividend. It's a program that sets aside a percentage of revenues from oil and other natural resources into a fund. Each qualifying Alaskan (you have to establish residency for a year I believe) is paid an amount from that fund every year. The amount varies from year to year.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I understand the PFD is the refund you get from the IRS on Income Tax - privilege of Alaskans!-
???????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska