Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,855,754 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the job postings for 9 months now and have been reading and researching many areas of Alaska. Yesterday I found a job posting (actually 2) and one of them is located in Soldotna. This would be for the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation with State Benefits and about $3,038.00 a month. The other posting was for $1,000 more a month and in Anchorage.

I believe the Soldotna location would be a smaller community and plenty for me to do on my time off. Any thoughts?... I was going to wait 2 more years but this job seems like a great match for my skills and background. The market to sell my home "sucks" right now so my daughter is going to rent my home so I will either rent there or try to buy something very/ extremely modest... My friend Denise would follow me up in about 18 months when she is done with school to help share the rent. She has an aunt that lives in Eagle River so that would work out for her. Well... let me have it LOL ... I do value your advice, opinions... even commentary red... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,650,043 times
I grew up 10 miles from Soldotna and still have a house in Sterling. It's really a fairly decent place. Located in the middle of the Kenai Peninsula you have many options. Fishing, hiking, skiing, boating, wildlife viewing, photo taking etc. Fairly decent shopping in Soldotna or Kenai and only 3 hour drive to Anc for bigger shopping. Close to the mountains and the ocean.
It's a drag in the summer when the fish are running and the tourists are too! Traffic can be phenominal to say the least.
Come check it out.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,899,702 times
We lived in Kenai for 7 years out of the 30 years in Alaska, it's my favorite community in the state. If it weren't for the job in Anchorage I'd be back down there now. I envy Rance living where he does or where he did in Sterling. Kenai is a very short drive from Soldotna and would be my preference. I found Kenai to be slightly less touristy than Soldotna.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Thank you Rance I've been reading about the Kenai Peninsula and it was on my list to visit on my next vacation... imagine actually planning a move... GEEZ.. not a small one either. I will be leaving almost everything in my home behind if I do this.. even Frankie and Abby... don't worry they will be in great hands with my daughter Erin.. she spoils them so much!!
Soldotna, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and yes the free location guide.. Visit Soldotna - Alaska's Kenai River City.. must get the interview first LOL...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,958,582 times
And the best donuts in Alaska as well!

The Moose Is Loose - Bakery - Soldotna, AK | Facebook

Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,750,646 times
From what you've posted, I would guess a great fit for you. We lived there for 2 years before coming back south for hubby's work, but still have the house there just out of Soldotna. You can choose either town due to proximity, and as long as you're not a big shopper, you should have everything close. We did well with groceries, etc., with 3 bears in Kenai and Freddie's in Soldotna. Congrats! Winters will be milder than WI, and summers cooler...but summer bugs the same or worse depending on rain

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,642,658 times
you have a DM!....ummm..The Moose is Loose and Sal's...dangerously fat pack'n places!...the moose is loose will send you into a diabetic coma....Many times I just walked in to "smell" the wonderful baked goods...damn can't eat them!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,855,229 times
Everyone above forgot to mention another big bonus-not very far to drive to Homer! :-)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
We lived in Kenai for 7 years out of the 30 years in Alaska, it's my favorite community in the state. If it weren't for the job in Anchorage I'd be back down there now. I envy Rance living where he does or where he did in Sterling. Kenai is a very short drive from Soldotna and would be my preference. I found Kenai to be slightly less touristy than Soldotna.
I am looking now at all the wonderful suggestions... actually ran across a new listing for sale fully furnished.. pretty cute... just one bedroom but a huge garage and a potting shed/greenhouse type building with a fenced in garden area... www.AlaskaRealEstate.com - Property Detail

i know get the interview first... if I do I won't have much time... this by the way just listed... should you offer the asking price in this area? Or can you negotiate... every area is different.. this is only a 1 bedroom but perfect just for me. I have 18 months to put in another room for her... thinking the huge garage could use a second level inside don't you think?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks... I believe it is a great fit too... don't know about the home but I can always rent until I find the right place... I do appreciate it... not a big shopper at all... can always shop online right?.. I'm not into "stuff".. do most of my shopping at "goodwill".. 2nd hand shops.. I hold onto things forever.. of course now my daughter will have most of my stuff if I get the job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska