Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,793 times

Advertisements

Weather forecast for Dallas, Texas
Humidity: 67%
108° 83°
109° 85°
110° 84°
110° 84°
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
I don't blame you. Ugh.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,819,459 times
^ I love your location tag; probably my single favorite Dylan song.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
There is more reasons than that...but yours is a very good one. Reeediculous!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,819,459 times
Yeah, it's even hot up here at 2500 feet. I think it broke 90F today, and it's going to be hotter the rest of the week. This has been our hottest stretch yet, and it's killing me. I know the temps aren't as high as Texas, but that's one reason I'm here. Still, Valdez weather sounds mighty nice right about now. I am literally counting down until autumn, when the temperatures drop and the chilly winds blow.

If you just want milder weather and better (snowier/colder) winters, there's a lot of places you could go besides Alaska. New England is great, and the Upper Midwest (especially Minnesota) is great too. And maybe the best in the lower 48 is the Rocky Mountain Northwest - Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, the Cascade Range in Washington and Oregon. I would love a place in the Cascades where it snows in the winter with those nice cool summers, but I would much rather be in Alaska, because, you know, it's Alaska.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:21 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,488,535 times
Joy. Texas is where I'll be for a few months for my next assignment. Long enough to save money then I'm going back to Alaska where I belong.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

34 posts, read 67,366 times
Wynternight, at least your stay in Texas is temporary and it should strengthen your love of Alaska. Hope it goes quick.

The wife and I will be spending a couple of weeks in Juneau and Tenakee Springs near the end of August. I don't care if it rains the whole time. It can't come soon enough!

This relentless heat is ridiculous.. just as bad (or worse) than a cold dark winter and it's only the beginning of August. We mostly stay inside when we're not at work. The curtains and blinds are all closed to keep the sun from warming up the house (no scenery outside anyway). The AC runs all day and most of the night so our electric bill is huge. Our lawn grass is dead because we refuse to waste water keeping it green. The only upside I've noticed is that it seems too hot even for the mosquitos.

People complain about how expensive it is to live in Alaska but if you've ever lived in an "affordable" hell-hole like North Texas you'll know why the cost of living here is low. If it wasn't for good-paying jobs we'd be headed north in a heartbeat. We just need to stick it out another year or two before we can afford to escape.

Heinz

Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM

437 posts, read 809,729 times
Oh, I hear ya alright. The heat amd humidity has been unrelenting even here in NW WI. I can't remember a summer like this. Heat indexes up to 110* / 115* often. It's crazy hot and so stuffy outside you can't even breathe decently. I've only been back here for 3 years and I can't stand it.

I bought tickets over the weekend for an October trip (business and pleasure) and I can't wait to get back home. Whether it rains or snows the whole time I'm there it won't matter to me. I just can't wait to get back home to Alaska.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
I miss Alaska. Here in San Diego the weather is wonderful and the peeps excluding family and friends are boring. The REI here is like a mausoleum. In Anchorage the customer service is personal "Hey" and friendly, here they are bored semi friendly. I am sure that they are nice people here who are not bored. They climb up your bumper and act as if they have a right to do it. 98% of the drivers are courteous. If I had been alone in my 4Runner we would have chatted...

In terms of heat and Texas....you should store your things and get on a plane. I did that in 1999 and it worked out.

We are going to K.C. MO for a family reunion. Why in god's name they had it there with heat index >100 degrees is beyond me. This man, I ..... miss the rain, the empty spaces and the fabric of adventure and survival in my home which at least here for now are somewhat non-existent.

(Rant Button to off)

Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM

437 posts, read 809,729 times
Not to derail this thread but the REI in N. St. Paul sucks big time too. No comparison to the one in Anchortown. Customer service the same, non-existant (in N. St. Paul).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I miss Alaska. Here in San Diego the weather is wonderful and the peeps excluding family and friends are boring. The REI here is like a mausoleum. In Anchorage the customer service is personal "Hey" and friendly, here they are bored semi friendly. I am sure that they are nice people here who are not bored. They climb up your bumper and act as if they have a right to do it. 98% of the drivers are courteous. If I had been alone in my 4Runner we would have chatted...

In terms of heat and Texas....you should store your things and get on a plane. I did that in 1999 and it worked out.

We are going to K.C. MO for a family reunion. Why in god's name they had it there with heat index >100 degrees is beyond me. This man, I ..... miss the rain, the empty spaces and the fabric of adventure and survival in my home which at least here for now are somewhat non-existent.

(Rant Button to off)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska