Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I forget the camera...lol. I'm too busy chortling at the antics. The berries are nearly gone - we had a storm that brought some fairly severe winds last week. Most berries have either polka-dotted my house purple or are in the next county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,376 times
That is one great thing about the coming of fall.. harvest time.. so true about the free meal... have a great evening everyone..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,805 times
Update: We got 2 full and 1 almost full 5-gallon buckets of huckleberries off that little 1-acre hillside! It's right on the water, really steep and gets lots of afternoon sun. Some idiot from New York City bought it through the lottery a couple years back and had another local idiot take every tree off it (including the eagle tree I've watched for 20 years). It sure did make for an amazing huckleberry patch this year tho. 16 quarts of juice concentrate from yesterday's bucket, just got started juicing todays catch. 'cept for a few gallons for pies & wine.

OH! And I stopped by my favorite cranberry patch to check on their progress. Holey smokes, wait till I take a picture of those, there's got to be a couple gallons of cranberries in that one little patch. I can't wait for tommorrow so I can crawl around in my raingear and pick 'em, .....so many berries, so little time. (:

Still waiting to see the drunken squirrels.

Last edited by GrammasCabin; 08-14-2011 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
I will see what I can do...and promise to have the camera attached to the hip at all times. Just not when I was mowing earlier...I don't have near the acreage as I did in AK, but between the heat this day and the humidity - whew! I have a nice burn to show for my toils.
I do miss gathering blueberries in AK. I don't recall ever seeing a huckleberry (to return somewhat on topic - lol). I had wild cranberries like I've never seen. I will have to try huckleberry - I've never tasted that particular berry.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Cool! They're beautiful! You should be eating potatoes by now too! Did I send you some garlic to plant? We had garlic smashed potatoes tonight with our fried zukini & sockeye with blueberry wine. I love free food! Wonder what the poor rich folks had.

What's in the huckleberry sauce you make for salmon? Sounds intriquing.
Got a little garlic in the planters...have had no time to dig up any spuds yet (seiners from hell today) but I'm sure some are ready...will post pics. Gonna save all the nasturtium seeds and plant them everywhere next year. My neighbor's store bought ones haven't even bloomed yet and the ones you sent are going great.

Let's see...last time I made that sauce I think I used honey, threw in some Pinot Noir, some thyme, lemon, and cornstarch, and the berries of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: