U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM

29,010 posts, read 10,292,392 times

Advertisements

Removing the bus will not stop people from going there. It is the location that is the attraction - not the bus itself. Chris McCandless went here because he was attempting to sort out things and find meaning in life. Others who come here are likely doing the same. I find it very odd that Alaskans of all people condemn this man for trying to find meaning in unspoiled nature. The book and movie made very clear Chris's epitatph - "Happieness is only real when shared". Chris learned this after being alone and dying. He could have lived if he had taken more precaution and had not made certain mistakes. He did not have a death wish, he died because a twist of fate. He lived his life to the fullest, not entirely rejeting society and being "selfish" as many claim, but trying to find a meaning to life and appreciating the beauty in all living things. Many of us will live our lives according to social norms and never experience a spiritual truth like Chris did. He learned too late that relationships are important, but the fact that people are talking about him 20 years later shows that his life made an impact.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 984,309 times
I bet if you think about it really intently for a while you'll figure out why Alaskans generally don't find the idea of getting lost in the Alaskan countryside and dying romantic.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,969,566 times
I liked the movie. Breaking free of societal expectations and norms is nothing to be scorned on. It's not like the guy was already married and abandoning his kids, he just didn't want to live the hollow lifestyle his parents pushed upon him.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,560,595 times
I kinda wonder how many people moved into the bush of Alaska equally green and naive? I find it hard to believe that Chris McCandless stands alone. While it certainly isn't anything one should recommend, there are probably a lot of seasoned people living fairly isolated in the bush who started off the same way. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM

811 posts, read 604,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I kinda wonder how many people moved into the bush of Alaska equally green and naive? .
Probably a lot of them an many of them will never ever hear there stories.

What is it with the "bus" that these knuckleheads seem to find interesting?

If they want adventure climb Mt. Everest and you see where you can see 100"s of dead bodies just as the died all the way back to 1924.

bodies mt everest - Google Search

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,806,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Removing the bus will not stop people from going there. It is the location that is the attraction - not the bus itself. Chris McCandless went here because he was attempting to sort out things and find meaning in life. Others who come here are likely doing the same. I find it very odd that Alaskans of all people condemn this man for trying to find meaning in unspoiled nature..
He was living in a bus. In my book that is "spoiled nature." He was so stupid he could not even manage to find somewhere off the road system.

Quote:
The book and movie made very clear Chris's epitatph - "Happieness is only real when shared".
The book and movie should have empasized his terminal stupidity.

Quote:
Chris learned this after being alone and dying. He could have lived if he had taken more precaution and had not made certain mistakes. He did not have a death wish, he died because a twist of fate.
He died because he was too stupid to live.

Quote:
He lived his life to the fullest, not entirely rejeting society and being "selfish" as many claim, but trying to find a meaning to life and appreciating the beauty in all living things. Many of us will live our lives according to social norms and never experience a spiritual truth like Chris did. He learned too late that relationships are important, but the fact that people are talking about him 20 years later shows that his life made an impact.
People are talking about him 20 years later, like Timothy Tredwell, as example monumental stupidity, and what not to do. Both are deserving of the Darwin Award.

If death is your goal, then by all means admire the fatal stupidity of Chris McCandless.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,806,665 times
Quote:
I kinda wonder how many people moved into the bush of Alaska equally green and naive?
None that survived.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that Chris McCandless stands alone. While it certainly isn't anything one should recommend, there are probably a lot of seasoned people living fairly isolated in the bush who started off the same way. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
He does not stand alone. Timothy Tredwell was just as terminally stupid as Chris McCandless, and both are used as examples by Alaskans of what not to do if you want to live.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:10 PM

811 posts, read 604,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
He was living in a bus. In my book that is "spoiled nature." He was so stupid he could not even manage to find somewhere off the road system.

The book and movie should have empasized his terminal stupidity.

He died because he was too stupid to live.

People are talking about him 20 years later, like Timothy Tredwell, as example monumental stupidity, and what not to do. Both are deserving of the Darwin Award.

If death is your goal, then by all means admire the fatal stupidity of Chris McCandless.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

6,799 posts, read 3,148,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Are you truly comparing the McCandless moron with world explorers?

He certainly did not explorer anything, hell, he starved to death before he could even make it off the road system. McCandless was a typical urbanite, completely out his element as soon as he left the city limits.

You mistaken "heart" for abject stupidity.

McCandless was a delusional idiot, and unworthy of glorification. If someone were "book-smart" they would already know what to expect, even if they lack the experience. McCandless had absolutely no clue what he was doing or what to expect, which blows away your high praise of his abilities.

No, he was stupid in every respect, without exception. The fact that he could walk and breathe at the same time is miraculous in his case.

But they are indeed smarter. McCandless starved himself to death, remember? At least these other stupid urbanites you speak of have enough common sense to stay out of an environment they know nothing about.

It was indeed his life, and if I had to say something good about him, at least he did not kill anyone else in the process of his stupidity. Unlike Timothy Tredwell.

I am at least gratified to know that he killed himself prior to reproducing.
Every point here echoes what I thought as I was forced to read that stupid book in college.

The teacher put McCandless on a pedestal & raved about his life & death. It soon became very clear that the class either agreed with her & passed, or stood their ground & failed. The assignment was to write about the book & do an oral presentation. I wrote exactly what I thought- similar to what you posted. And of course, she gave me an "F"

Best "F" I ever got

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,475,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Probably a lot of them an many of them will never ever hear there stories.
Actually nearly everyone who was never born in that environment, some are just luckier, smarter, and better prepared than others. Every time someone comes in from outside to our nearest village there's a village sweep as to how long they're going to last, topping out at about a year. Me and my wife are currently about 18 months overdue. Outside also includes Fairbanks and the South East, they've got no better track record of moving here to live here than anyone else.

Quote:
What is it with the "bus" that these knuckleheads seem to find interesting?
What is it about Mt Rushmore, the Pyramids, the Westminster Clock Tower (incorrectly often named "Big Ben"), The Lincoln Memorial that makes people want to go and see? Ultimately they're places that people find interesting, for whatever reason, and moving the location of that "monument" elsewhere isn't going to change the fact that people will still visit it, or it's original location. You know there are short boat trips on Lake Nasser for people to "visit" the real location of Abu Simbel well about 180' above the real location anyway.

Quote:
If they want adventure climb Mt. Everest and you see where you can see 100"s of dead bodies just as the died all the way back to 1924.

bodies mt everest - Google Search
No adventure there anymore, anywhere that there's 100% 3G or higher cell phone coverage is not an adventure. Which now includes the summit of Everest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska