U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

49 posts, read 46,601 times
Well, I read the book years ago and later saw the movie. I have always been intrigued and saddened about what his intentions were other than living simply and enjoying the solitude. I have not understood why he was so adamant about refusing guidance and/or equipment from experienced Alaskans, especially with so many people voicing concerns about his safety and lack of knowledge.

Over the last few years, I have been a bit taken aback with the anger and resentment over this bus and how everyone assumes that anyone from the outside is unskilled, unprepared, and a liability to the entire state because, of course, they will most likely have to be rescued which will cost the state of Alaska money, resources, and the potential of endangering the lives of the rescuers. I understand the concern, I truly do. I simply don't understand how this particular topic...the bus...brings out so much animosity. Over the decades that mountaineers having been climbing Denali, many lives have been lost and many dollars spent on rescues. Yes, I realize that the climbers pay special use fees when they register and, in the event of a rescue, "may" be required to pay air or ground costs. However, the overall feeling on this forum when a climber dies on the Alaska Range is one of sadness rather than a feeling of anger towards the climber for attempting it to begin with. What is the difference? Is it that the mountaineers attempting to summit are experienced and skilled whereas so many of the treks to the bus are attempted by those who are unskilled and improperly prepared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Thank you all for responding to the post about my son's trip to the bus. I was just now posting another reply while several of you had commented in the midst of my typing. When he returned last night he said that he guessed he would have to watch the movie now to see what all the fuss was about. Well son...he died...the end.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM

161 posts, read 129,046 times
Accidents happen to even the most skilled hikers/campers...sometimes no matter how prepared one is, mother nature has other plans for them. I think the anger comes from the fact that McCandless went out there completely unprepared, died of starvation, and then was made into a hero by Hollywood. Many of the people who are fans of McCandless want to see the bus he lived and died in. I don't think it's necessarily the fact that someone is hiking into the bush that bothers people, it's just that McCandless represents everything a person is NOT supposed to do when going off into the Alaskan bush. His story should serve as a warning, not as an inspiration.

Last edited by EllaRose; 08-25-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM

14,872 posts, read 24,722,876 times
Good point about Denali climbers.

Maybe we should just set the bus on top of Denali!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

17,594 posts, read 11,205,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbear View Post
Well, I read the book years ago and later saw the movie. I have always been intrigued and saddened about what his intentions were other than living simply and enjoying the solitude. I have not understood why he was so adamant about refusing guidance and/or equipment from experienced Alaskans, especially with so many people voicing concerns about his safety and lack of knowledge.

Over the last few years, I have been a bit taken aback with the anger and resentment over this bus and how everyone assumes that anyone from the outside is unskilled, unprepared, and a liability to the entire state because, of course, they will most likely have to be rescued which will cost the state of Alaska money, resources, and the potential of endangering the lives of the rescuers. I understand the concern, I truly do. I simply don't understand how this particular topic...the bus...brings out so much animosity. Over the decades that mountaineers having been climbing Denali, many lives have been lost and many dollars spent on rescues. Yes, I realize that the climbers pay special use fees when they register and, in the event of a rescue, "may" be required to pay air or ground costs. However, the overall feeling on this forum when a climber dies on the Alaska Range is one of sadness rather than a feeling of anger towards the climber for attempting it to begin with. What is the difference? Is it that the mountaineers attempting to summit are experienced and skilled whereas so many of the treks to the bus are attempted by those who are unskilled and improperly prepared?
It is not just the "magic bus", it is any idiot that does something incredibly stupid and ends up dead. Alaskans do not like having to pay for someone else's stupidity (Timothy Tredwell, for example). It does not get any simplier than that.

If two people make the same trek at the same time of the year, and one is experienced and well prepared, and the other has neither the experience or is prepared, and they both end up dead, then Alaskans are far more likely to be sympathetic towards the individual who did everything right and still ended up dead, than towards the individual who essentially committed suicide because of their lack of experience and preparedness.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,702,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I think we should extend that requirement to any non-Alaskan resident who wants to spend more than 24 hours off the road system. They have to state their destination, when they plan on returning, and pay a small fee that includes their "rescue insurance" coverage.
why just charge non-Alaskan residents??? there are plenty of Alaskan residents....pilots, climbers, airsurfers, boaters...etc...who need to be rescued too??? bet the numbers are higher for the residents who get into boating situations, wind surfing, water surfing, etc than lower 48ers

Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 AM

Rance...sounds great! How do you suppose we can haul it up there...lol?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,722,876 times
About a dozen sherpas from Tibet should be able to carry it.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 AM

4,001 posts, read 5,278,714 times
"Society", the original soundtrack of the film, expresses perfectly by its melody and words the pathetic character & destiny of McCandless. The Ed Venner song in its sadness symbolizes the depressive mood of Christopher McCandless.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,120,364 times
Eddy Vedder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska