U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 AM

45 posts, read 59,512 times

Advertisements

Alaska has mosquito's?

I didn't know. I am now educated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 AM

6,718 posts, read 4,985,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
We do get a few cases of road rage in Alaska. A few months ago somebody was stabbed and killed after such an episode. But is true that in more crowded places drivers experience a high number of close calls (I know. I lived in the Big Apple years ago, and also in Sacramento back in the early '80s). Still, if you live in a very comfortable and small place (town) in the lower-48, people are just as close as in the smallest towns in Alaska.

That said, Alaska has changed for the worst in recent years, so now we have some of the same gang activities, and drug users that are common in large cities. A difference is that since most Alaskans are armed, it makes it a little more difficult for criminal to intimidate people.
So true. Here it's hard to tell the gang members on the freeway from the truly "special" people who drive their cars like weapons. A brake pedal is my current protection.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,351,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I always truly enjoy the great ocean of Canada between moi and the rest of the madness when I am in Alaska. It feels safer somehow.
Yeah, I get that feeling too. And also the smaller sea of wilderness between Valdez and Anchorage or Fairbanks.

I grew up around Fort Worth, TX and it still feels a bit like home, especially further out toward the country where I'm from, but every time I go back there are more houses, stores, and traffic. And it seems that I can't stand much over 70F anymore, so I'm getting more limited in where I could live. I do like the idea of western Colorado. Lots of cool places to go around there and not too terribly many people. We're here for the long haul though, and I do love living on the water. Just need a boat.

I moved up here mostly for the winters, but it would be nice to take a month off in late November/December (when it's windy and dark and there's not enough snow yet to really play) and go down to the Southwest and just cruise around, do some rock climbing and mountain biking, which we don't have much of around here.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM

305 posts, read 309,346 times
Just looking at the moose photo makes me glad to be in the Interior. Southeast was home for a good portion of my life, and this picture reminds of the long, dark, wet winters with dripping limbs and heavy snow. The moose is smaller than the neighboring critters I live with now, but he epitomizes room to roam. As the leaves change and I look out over the vista in front of me, all the way to Denali, I know there's a road; I know there are people; I know there is civilization. I appreciate having the choice to take advantage of the offerings on my terms, and that's really what Alaska's all about for many of us who choose to be here.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM

5,964 posts, read 7,137,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Just looking at the moose photo makes me glad to be in the Interior. Southeast was home for a good portion of my life, and this picture reminds of the long, dark, wet winters with dripping limbs and heavy snow. The moose is smaller than the neighboring critters I live with now, but he epitomizes room to roam. As the leaves change and I look out over the vista in front of me, all the way to Denali, I know there's a road; I know there are people; I know there is civilization.[b] I appreciate having the choice to take advantage of the offerings on my terms, and that's really what Alaska's all about for many of us who choose to be here.

That is what's great about Alaska.

Actually I live in Southcentral (outside of Wasilla). That was a really gloomy day, not typical of everyday in the winter, thank goodness. That was a young moose; we do get bull mooses and all sizes wandering through. One thing I've yet to see is a bear wandering and I'm mighty glad.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Freedom to choose.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,804,129 times
Quote:
You are right about that. I lived in Plattsburgh, NY for a few years when in the military (two tours). There are a large number of very small and beautiful places to live at all around Plattsburgh. Some of these North toward the Canadian border, around Burlington, or South on Route 9 all the way to Lake Placid. A whole bunch of places by Saranac Lake and such, Peru, etc.
Its pretty difficult to beat the Adirondacks and Green Mountains of VT. I know the area very well. Lived in Lake Placid and Burlington.

That area is my retirement destination. I've also lived in ME and would have no problem living out my years there.

If between now and retirement I get in some really bad trouble with the law, then I'll head to Alaska for my retirement.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Its pretty difficult to beat the Adirondacks and Green Mountains of VT. I know the area very well. Lived in Lake Placid and Burlington.

That area is my retirement destination. I've also lived in ME and would have no problem living out my years there.

If between now and retirement I get in some really bad trouble with the law, then I'll head to Alaska for my retirement.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,408,316 times
Quote:
Hot weather is not the main problem in the cities of the lower-48, but the large number of people. Now, out in rural areas or very small towns, specially in mountainous regions, is as good as it will ever be.

Come December in the interior of Alaska, and don't tell me that some of us don't wish to be South for a few weeks
Well Ray, you are welcome to come down and spend a week in February here in N. Carolina-----it might even get below freezing!! I promise the dogs will be friendly.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 PM

37 posts, read 47,650 times
WOW, this sounds beautiful. I've never been one for cold weather (don't know why, raised in cold Ohio); but Alaska beckons me for some reason. Especially now that I am into organic farming and living off grid. I have a gut feeling Alaska would be a decent place to drop off the face of the earth (so-to-speak). We just want to live quietly and simply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska