Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well Ray, you are welcome to come down and spend a week in February here in N. Carolina-----it might even get below freezing!! I promise the dogs will be friendly.
Well, thank you very much for the invitation

But let me tell you something a lot of us forget to mention about the interior of Alaska: when -30 and colder, the it's almost bleak out there if it weren't for the heaters in our automobiles. You won't see many people going for long walks when the temperature drops to -20 and colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 50,059 times
I live in N.E. FLorida, and I have to agree with the original poster. The heat down here is awful, the humidity is, too. And, right now, the end of September, we still have highs in the 90's and lows only in the mid-70's. I've lived here all my life, and now, that I'm a senior, I wish I lived up north.
The bugs here eat up any garden you happen to plant, unless you want to dust everything with Sevin.
It IS cheaper to live here, than in Alaska, from what I've seen and heard, but, wow, is it worth it?
One of my worries, in June, and July, is, if I have a car accident, will I roast to death before the EMTs come to help me?
Seriously.
So, to make a long story short, husband and I are finally taking that vacation of a lifetime, a trip to Alaska. We will be there, God willing, in July of 2012.
I've subscribed to the Kindle edition of Anchorage Daily News, and am very busy finding things to see and do, in and around Anchorage.
If anyone wishes to recommend a restaurant, (not expensive, like Club Paris,please), a sightseeing trip, or a low-priced souvenier shop, please do.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM

23 posts, read 50,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, thank you very much for the invitation

But let me tell you something a lot of us forget to mention about the interior of Alaska: when -30 and colder, the it's almost bleak out there if it weren't for the heaters in our automobiles. You won't see many people going for long walks when the temperature drops to -20 and colder.
Same here in Florida, but in June and July. You won't see anyone walking, jogging, or bicycling outside when the temperatures soar above 100, and are coupled with 80% humidity. You could die, very quickly.

We get cabin fever in the summer. Too hot to even EAT, sometimes.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraPalliser View Post
Same here in Florida, but in June and July. You won't see anyone walking, jogging, or bicycling outside when the temperatures soar above 100, and are coupled with 80% humidity. You could die, very quickly.

We get cabin fever in the summer. Too hot to even EAT, sometimes.
This person speaks the truth. Cabin fever exists in the South, big time. It's just from May-September instead of November-April.

And kinda like in Alaska, when it's so cold your heater won't quite keep you warm, it gets so hot the A/C doesn't even keep you comfortable.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,561 times
Ship... yes indeed heat can be very misrable... I'm very glad the heat is gone for awhile here myself Wish I were in AK right now getting used to that new job ...

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
^ Well I've been envying Wisconsin's weather lately. Or, well, the upper Midwest. I don't have a Wisconsin station on my Favorites list, but I have a couple of Minnesota ones, and the temps up there have been fantastic. Our heat is going to break on Friday; the high is 66˚F and the low is 38˚F! So excited for the cool weather, and then the cold weather after that! The day I see snow fall on those mountains will be a happy day indeed. Luckily, my new spot gets a lot more snow than Asheville proper, and my friend down the mountain said we got a ton last year, so I'm hopeful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska