Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM

200 posts, read 285,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There is no need to mention the Cassiar on this thread, they are coming from Tennessee, this means the eastern route up the highway. You can cross into Canada in Saskatchewan south of Regina or drive into Montana and cross at Sweetgrass. Saskatchewan is pretty flat as is Alberta. If you can, avoid going through Edmonton in the day time, there's a million plus people living there and it has crazy traffic.

Plenty of year round lodges in BC for fuel. No need to carry extra gas, just keep topping off at a half talk and you'll be fine. I had some Toyo all season tires that worked well when I drove down and back a few winters ago. I now run Nokian All Season tires, they work very good on ice/snow.
Thanks Warptman! We will definitely cross Edmonton off the list of places to travel through during the day time. I think we are crossing at Sweetgrass. I read somewhere (can't remember where because I have read so much lately I can't keep everything straight) that if transporting firearms to stop on US side of border to have them validated as being your firearms before crossing to Canadian side. Does anyone know if this is necessary? We will have the firearms declaration form with us and be prepared to pay the fee.

Thanks Floridakash for the reply. We are carrying extra gas just in case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,919,273 times
If you cross at Sweetgrass, that means you'll be driving through Calgary, this place is crazy! It is a nice drive up to Edmonton from here on the Canadian Autobahn, Highway 2. Hang a left after you pass Edmonton International Airport over to Devon and go north from there. You'll bypass Edmonton.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
If you cross at Sweetgrass, that means you'll be driving through Calgary, this place is crazy! It is a nice drive up to Edmonton from here on the Canadian Autobahn, Highway 2. Hang a left after you pass Edmonton International Airport over to Devon and go north from there. You'll bypass Edmonton.
Thanks Warpt! What do you think about a 7 day timeline to get from TN to Soldotna, AK? That's roughly 600 miles/day or 10 hr/day driving. Doable or do I need to add another day or two?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,970,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Thanks for the tips y'all! We are going to take our time on the drive up. I want to actually enjoy driving cross country. How exciting

Hey AADAD, how am I supposed to ever meet you in person if you are down in San Diego? Thanks for all the help!
Yah I am wondering that too! safe travels to your family

Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,919,273 times
I think it's doable. Just remember to pull over in rest areas if you are tired, the next rest area takes forever to get to when tired. Days are getting shorter now. The thing you have to worry about through Alberta and lower BC is deer on the road, little things are hard to see at night.

Get a set of Lightforce lights and some sort of wing to put them on. They sell the light mounts that bolt on where your front license plate mounts and have wings to put the lights on. Can never have too much lighting.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,820,018 times
Ya know, this thread makes me wicked jealous. I keep hearing about Lightforce lights lately, so they must be some good lights. I have always used PIAA for auxiliary lighting, and my friends seemed to all use KC. PIAA is better than KC in my opinion, but I'd like to try some Lightforce ones. It would definitely be more than wise to have auxiliary lighting, because hell, I run into a lot of critters on the roads driving in these mountains at night. I can only imagine how many are out on the Alcan, and they're bigger. You can see for half a mile with some good lights!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,970,122 times
PIAA lights are very good on ice roads in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Decision time, October or after spring break-up???-dsc_0020.jpg  

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,820,018 times
Yes indeed, and they seem to be on the front of a nice '06 or '07 T4R. ::sigh:: I miss my '04 V8 4WD (SR5) so bad. I remember you from the T4R forum. That is tied for best vehicle I've ever owned. Smoothest V8 ever. Oh, this makes me sad and nostalgic. I had lifted mine and put big tires and everything on it, and I just couldn't afford to keep gas in the tank, so I had to sell it. Oh man, that was a sad day. That truck really guzzled too man, worse than you would even think.

I'm sorry, I'll quit polluting this thread. I sure do wish I was about to head off down the Alcan.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,904,385 times
I agree, you certainly won't miss anything if you bypass Edmonton, especially during traffic!

As the for the firearms, there's several threads on here about getting them in and through Canada. But we had issues with just our ammo, so I continue to recommend that you mail your longarms to yourself c/o a friend, the hotel, or the FFL that you ship your handguns to rather than messing about getting them through Canada, or ship them via Alaska Airlines Air Cargo with a "hold for pick up" on the receiving end. Sometimes you get a good agent who knows their business; but if you get someone who doesn't know anything about guns and the particulars of the rules to transit THROUGH the country with them you could be spending a long long long few hours while they hassle you and dig through your stuff.

Sometimes even calling the main office for information will get you different answers about what is legal and what's the proper procedure each time you call... sometimes even from the same person!

The reason I stress "through" is because most of the paperwork and duties/fees listed on their site are only applicable if you're a resident or a non-resident importing firearms into Canada from the US... which is NOT what you're doing. You are a US citizen and resident who is transporting your own firearms through Canada from the US to the US. You aren't moving into Canada with the intent to become a citizen/resident. You aren't visiting Canada, you are transiting Canada. You aren't intending to hunt or compete in Canada. And you aren't intending to buy or sell the firearm in Canada. And you only need to obtain a Authorization to Transport (ATT) if you're transporting restricted firearms (which are only certain high-capacity long arms, but does NOt include handguns), but you don't need an ATT if you're transporting non-restricted long arms. Therefore, some of the forms and fees it looks like are required from their site (like the the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration and the $50 fee) aren't actually valid for your circumstances and can end up opening a whole big can of worms if you provide them for the wrong reasons. It's totally confusing... apparently, even for their own employees and border agents.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

There are three classes of firearms in Canada:
  • Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route.
  • Restricted: (longer-barreled handguns, some types of long guns) These are allowed for certain purposes, such as target shooting at an approved club or range, but they are not allowed for hunting or self protection.
  • Prohibited: (shorter-barreled handguns, automatic weapons) These cannot be brought into Canada.
Mailing firearms through USPS:

432 Mailability

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
  1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
  2. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
Anyway... seriously... save yourself the hassle and ship your firearms.

Long arms to yourself through USPS, via an FFL dealer or AA Air Cargo.
Handguns to yourself via FFL dealer or AA Air Cargo.

Note that you are sending your own firearms to YOURSELF, therefore you aren't transferring them and don't need to pay the exorbitant FFL transfer fee. You only need to pay a negotiated handling fee with an FFL dealer if you opt to go that route.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I agree, you certainly won't miss anything if you bypass Edmonton, especially during traffic!

As the for the firearms, there's several threads on here about getting them in and through Canada. But we had issues with just our ammo, so I continue to recommend that you mail your longarms to yourself c/o a friend, the hotel, or the FFL that you ship your handguns to rather than messing about getting them through Canada, or ship them via Alaska Airlines Air Cargo with a "hold for pick up" on the receiving end. Sometimes you get a good agent who knows their business; but if you get someone who doesn't know anything about guns and the particulars of the rules to transit THROUGH the country with them you could be spending a long long long few hours while they hassle you and dig through your stuff.

Sometimes even calling the main office for information will get you different answers about what is legal and what's the proper procedure each time you call... sometimes even from the same person!

The reason I stress "through" is because most of the paperwork and duties/fees listed on their site are only applicable if you're a resident or a non-resident importing firearms into Canada from the US... which is NOT what you're doing. You are a US citizen and resident who is transporting your own firearms through Canada from the US to the US. You aren't moving into Canada with the intent to become a citizen/resident. You aren't visiting Canada, you are transiting Canada. You aren't intending to hunt or compete in Canada. And you aren't intending to buy or sell the firearm in Canada. And you only need to obtain a Authorization to Transport (ATT) if you're transporting restricted firearms (which are only certain high-capacity long arms, but does NOt include handguns), but you don't need an ATT if you're transporting non-restricted long arms. Therefore, some of the forms and fees it looks like are required from their site (like the the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration and the $50 fee) aren't actually valid for your circumstances and can end up opening a whole big can of worms if you provide them for the wrong reasons. It's totally confusing... apparently, even for their own employees and border agents.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

There are three classes of firearms in Canada:
  • Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route.
  • Restricted: (longer-barreled handguns, some types of long guns) These are allowed for certain purposes, such as target shooting at an approved club or range, but they are not allowed for hunting or self protection.
  • Prohibited: (shorter-barreled handguns, automatic weapons) These cannot be brought into Canada.
Mailing firearms through USPS:

432 Mailability

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
  1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
  2. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
Anyway... seriously... save yourself the hassle and ship your firearms.

Long arms to yourself through USPS, via an FFL dealer or AA Air Cargo.
Handguns to yourself via FFL dealer or AA Air Cargo.

Note that you are sending your own firearms to YOURSELF, therefore you aren't transferring them and don't need to pay the exorbitant FFL transfer fee. You only need to pay a negotiated handling fee with an FFL dealer if you opt to go that route.
Thanks for all the info! Very helpful. I had already searched C-D forum and gotten a lot of info, but none of it specifically addressed the question I asked about having your firearms validated on US side prior to crossing border. That is SOOO reassuring that the Canadian border patrol officers don't even know the rules (insert sarcasm here!).

Wow there are so many details involved with a long distance move! This will either be a grand adventure or my first trip to a mental hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska