Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times

Advertisements

Okay all you wonderfully helpful folks, I need some opinions please. Here is the story: I interviewed for a job last week and fully expected the hiring process to be a bit drawn out and take me past the time that it would be feasible to drive up to Alaska this fall. I was wrong! I was really just trying to get some contacts and do some networking before putting application in, but things moved quite a bit faster than anticipated. Anyway, job offer is on the table. My question is about driving up from TN in mid-October. 3 trucks and a 20ft cargo trailer. Will we need studded tires or will all terrain tires work? Any advice is very much appreciated! This is so exciting and scary!!!! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
All season tires will work. Might run into a storm or two in the mountains, the Canadians take good care of the road after a snow.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:13 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
I've driven the highway up four times and once down, all in the winter. Three times in a Subaru Justy, once in a mini-bus and once in a U-Haul pulling a car trailer.
Each time we ran into snow storms, cold weather and car trouble. But we made it almost on schedule every time.
Carry extra clothing, food & water. As you get further north, there's less people, less cars on the road & less road side services. Plan your fuel stops and carry extra gas if possible.
All weather tires will work, but have a shovel, a tow strap and maybe even a few bags of sand. And a flashlight.
But, my number one biggest suggestion: get a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . It's the essential guide to the drive.
It's a beautiful trip, so don't forget the camera!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM

There is no need to carry extra gas, the longest stretch between fill ups is about 100 miles. Just keep the tank on the upper side of half a tank. Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, lots of critters on the road.

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Yeah, just do it. Good tires, carry a spare for each rig.
Have fun.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There is no need to carry extra gas, the longest stretch between fill ups is about 100 miles.
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth
True this!! No need to carry extra gas.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! We have a copy of the Milepost and have read just about everything we can get our hands on about driving the Alcan in October. We have two extra cargo trailer tires and are thinking of getting two more.

Hmmm, bags of sand. Will kitty litter work? We will already have some of that with us since we will have a kitty riding shotgun in one of the trucks. If kitty litter isn't good enough, I will pick up a couple of bags of sand per truck. Great suggestion!

We will be taking our time on the drive so that we can enjoy some of the awesome scenery, plus not get worn out driving so that we get the "are we there yet" attitude.

Guess I better get busy selling a house full of furniture as well as selling the house too Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM

The steepest place on the Alcan is just outside of Fort Nelson near the old Steamboat Lodge, I forgot what the grade was but it's doable.

The Alcan Highway is a Road Trip You'll Remember!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Here's why I suggest carrying the extra gas... We were driving down and took the Cassiar. We pulled into Dease Lake 10 minutes after the only gas station closed. We didn't have enough to get to the next town and spent the night in the car.
Had we had an extra 10 gallons, we would've made it.
But, with better planning, we would've got to town 15 minutes earlier... This was before I started carrying a The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .

Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
I wish you a safe trip. I am hoping to be on the road in 3 to 4 weeks also. I've always had to prepare for winter with supplies here in Wisconsin when traveling but nothing like this adventure. I appreciate all the tips on having the motor winterized for much colder temperatures and yes have my milepost 2011. Coming by myself I want to cross all my T's and dot every i for sure. I just received my passport (got it in 5 days can you believe the government being that fast).

I do have winter tires on my Forester but no heater system on the motor. I do use synthetic oil but do you think it wise to have the heater installed before this trip?... just thinking better safe then sorry. I know this is stewnsue's thread but so helpful for my situation (hoping that I have that situation )... hope to see you in Alaska ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska