Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

As a non-Alaskan I wonder how jury duty works in rural/Bush Alaska.

In Texas (I am from that state) one may serve jury duty in municipal, county, and/or federal court but county is the most common. However in Bush Alaska, as far as I know:
  • Much of the state is Unorganized Borough, and in those areas there is no borough (county-equivalent) government
  • Even in places with borough government one may have to fly on a plane to reach the borough seat
  • In many small Alaskan communities hardly any serious crime occurs

Are Alaska Bush/rural Alaska residents expected to do jury duty? If so, do they have to make a plane flight to the nearest large city/borough seat to do it? Can they participate through video camera in a city/municipal office building? In the unorganized borough, where do criminal trials occur, and are they administered by the state government?

For federal trials what do residents do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 05:08 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
As far as I know...if you live farther than 25 miles from the nearest courthouse...you don't do jury duty. And serious crimes do occur in the small as well as larger communities.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I'm surprised no one in those bush communities have claimed a violation of being tried by a jury of their peers.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
It seems the serious crimes end up being tried elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Sounds like there's some places in Alaska where it's still the Old West. I always thought there might be quite a few people from the Lower 48 who went to Alaska to hide out. Some are outlaws and some are there, for whatever reason, they seriously don't want to be found. I bet quite a few have changed their names. Is that an accurate perception of some places in Alaska? Is there a higher percentage of people in Alaska who fit that description than there are in the other states? Ive always had that perception of Alaska since I was a kid and I'm 62 now, but I never seen any evidence to back it up. I would just think about what I would do If I was on the run, and I seriously didn't want to be found. I know that anyody who knows me would never think of looking for me in Alaska. They would look for me in Mexico before they would look for me in Alaska, and I don't even speak Spanish, except for a few necessary words and phrases. So, it does make sense to me why somebody would go to Alaska to hide out.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-28-2017 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
We are responsible for being in jury duty. Doesn't matter how far you live. If you get a pfd, you can be summoned.

In our previous location, you'd fly into the hub of Aniak or you'd participate via teleconference. Teachers generally were excused because of backlash.

Where we are now, you get summoned for 3 months at a time. Until you are selected or excused. All surrounding villages have members flown in. You get a whopping $25 a day.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I just say the right things and they never seem to use me . Supposedly they only want fair and non biased jurors. Works every time.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
No one stands out more in Alaska than someone who's trying to hide.

EA though yeah, I think a lot of people think Alaska's a good place to try and disappear.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-28-2017 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Back in the 80's when my dad worked in the bush he got a jury summons for grand jury duty in Anchorage. He was told the court would pay his way into Anchorage and put him up in a hotel. When he pointed out that it was a waste of taxpayer money he was told he had the right to serve on a jury. If he was selected he would be flying into Anchorage on Monday and back out to the bush on Friday every week for however long. So off he went. He showed up for jury duty and was promptly excused because he lived in the bush.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:16 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
I used to live on Afognak Island. I got called up for Jury Duty in Kodiak. Every week for a month they were going to charter a plane to fly me into town on a Thursday ($300), put me up in a hotel for two night ($300) and pay me a $50 a day stipend and then fly me back home on Saturday. Oh and cover taxi fares. I first tried to get out of based on the ridiculous cost and they told me that wasn't a valid excuse. I got my employer to write a letter saying I was essential to production and there was no suitable replacements to cover me not being there and they let me go on that.
I also had a friend more recently who's mom lived in Southeast Alaska. They were flying her up to Anchorage twice a month for three months for federal grand jury and paying hotels, cabs, food, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska