U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 AM

6,380 posts, read 10,888,179 times

Advertisements

Ok, I lied... But I got your attention!

I posted this in another thread of the constant assault of people wanting to come to Alaska and work on crab boats to make big bucks! So I figured this would be better served posted where more people can read it. So here goes...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Capt Phil
Hey names Danny 46 looking to become a deckhand in Alaska tierd of crap jobs .To much debt. Will prove that I am
You may very well be looking for a change of lifestyle, but I can tell you at 46 you're an old man in the crabbing industry. Working on the deck of a crab boat is for young guys, and even tough for the best of them at that.

By 46 you would either be a captain or burnt out from decades earlier, not to mention trying to train you in basic deck seamanship is an uphill battle!

Now for some little info the TV series doesn't tell you about Crabbing. About ten years ago, the Government went in and bought about 200 crabbing ships/boats and they are gone from the market, can't as much as sport fish off their decks anymore. The remaing crabbers had Quota's established from their total catch history. Now those crabbers have to take their Quota's and lump them together with one of the remaining crab ships/boats.

What that did is get rid of the two or three day openings so crews didn't run 24/7 with no sleep and in theory accidents. So they could take their time in catching the total Quota. Well since that happens, the crew's shares turned into a set hourly pay. Problem is the canneries want the crab now! So the boats and crews still run like madmen to get the highest price on the crab before the prices drop (first come, first serve). Many of the experienced crews told them to "stick it", and were replaced with people that really were clueless, so instead of the safety record getting better, it got worse.

Some crews are now making a fraction of what they did ten years ago, but the TV show implies that they are crabbing as in the past! Yeah now the boats are getting full loads of crab, but it isn't because the captains are great, it is because they can keep crabbing without closures.

The government got involved to make something better/safer and as usual screwed it up instead.

Watch the first episodes of the "Deadliest Catch" and you will see the truely panic type crab seasons, the later seasons were filmed after the buyouts and the guys only go in when full of crabs... Not the same thing at all.

But don't take my word for it, buy a thousand(+-) dollar one way ticket to Dutch Harbor (That is the price from Anchorage) and show up broke and see what kind of job offers you get, then let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,553,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Quote:

The government got involved to make something better/safer and as usual screwed it up instead.
I've only been saying this for the last 30 years, having witnessed it first hand all my life. Why a significant percentage of the American population still can't figure this out is beyond me.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I've only been saying this for the last 30 years, having witnessed it first hand all my life. Why a significant percentage of the American population still can't figure this out is beyond me.
Liberalism, keep making the same bad choices and expecting different results!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,553,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Quote:

You may very well be looking for a change of lifestyle, but I can tell you at 46 you're an old man in the crabbing industry. Working on the deck of a crab boat is for young guys, and even tough for the best of them at that.

By 46 you would either be a captain or burnt out from decades earlier, not to mention trying to train you in basic deck seamanship is an uphill battle!
This could not be more true. Having spent time on ships and submarines in the Navy, starting out in your 20's is hard enough - trying to do so in your 40's would be suicide. IMO, the only way to survive on a big ship in middle-age is to have made it to at least Chief where you can sit around with a your cup of coffee all day barking orders at the young guys, keeping them busy cleaning the bilge or chipping paint!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM

4,718 posts, read 7,784,565 times
Goes back to the old addage, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is...

And "showing" up, going out on a boat as a newbie making serious $$, seems too good to be true... If it was that "Easy" everyone would be doing it. Having said that, I know some 46 year olds that can out run, out lift, and out last many 19 year olds out there. So to say, 46 is too old -- doesn't apply to everyone. But this job obviously demands some physical endurance.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM

1,978 posts, read 2,785,521 times
^ Not arguing about the age thing, I'm sure it slows a man down, but about the other part. I saw an interview with Phil Harris from DC (NOT on the show, it was a real interview), and he said he basically was there, saw that the crabbers were driving around in really nice cars, and so he lied his way onto a boat and the rest was history. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work in between him being a lucky new deckhand and the captain of a vessel, but he certainly did well. I would think it's totally doable to get on a crab boat, just like it's totally doable to get almost any job you want if you work hard enough.

Whether you do well, or even survive for that matter, is an entirely different story.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,305,293 times
I suspect it has nothing to do with liberalism. Idiocy has no party lines nor career boundries.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,049,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I suspect it has nothing to do with liberalism. Idiocy has no party lines nor career boundries.
You have the democrats who skin you from the head down. Then you have the republicans who skin you from the feet up. You may be a freezengirl but you possess thawed out common sense.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Not arguing about the age thing, I'm sure it slows a man down, but about the other part. I saw an interview with Phil Harris from DC (NOT on the show, it was a real interview), and he said he basically was there, saw that the crabbers were driving around in really nice cars, and so he lied his way onto a boat and the rest was history. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work in between him being a lucky new deckhand and the captain of a vessel, but he certainly did well. I would think it's totally doable to get on a crab boat, just like it's totally doable to get almost any job you want if you work hard enough.

Whether you do well, or even survive for that matter, is an entirely different story.
That was true forty years ago... Which is when he was a kid.

But there was a lot of guys dying as well then. Ay that time I was in the Coast Guard and we did a lot of Search and Rescues out of Dutch back then, a lot of the boats that sank didn't have survivors. No survival suits, GPS, Loran was just getting used and radios didn't always work....

That is when Captain Harris started crabbing...

Old Today, 07:33 PM

1 posts
Default hi Dollie here

New to alaska just lost my job on the edge of loosing my home need to make some money and love an adventure so here it goes am ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: