Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM

455 posts, read 743,218 times

Advertisements

Tundra, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more about Kotz. Firsthand info has been a bit of a blind spot here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Indeed. And I enjoy your blog as well. It gives a solid impression of what Kotz is like. And your friend Finnskimo has a great blog too. Kotz seems like a very unique place to live. Not sure I could do it straight from the lower 48, but one day I would love to get myself into a village. Blogs like those are part of the reason why, so thank you!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
You will meet lots of very unique people in the Arctic (as well as anyplace) but it does take a 'special' type of person to call the Arctic home.

Kotz is a great place, I know it well but I have left much about it alone; only because, others can do a much better job.

Kotz as well as all villages is a slow laid back easy going lifestyle that I enjoy so much.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 24,064 times
Hello all I finally got Internet access and am using a iPad till my computer gets here, so I apologize for not updating earlier.

I have my first week working here done as of today, and so far it has been very much unique experience. I stayed 4 nights at the new hotel, which was awfully expensive, but nice. The wifi was down so I felt cutoff from family and the web, and my cell phone did not have service in AK.

I was impressed with how good the food in town is...prices are sky-high but it is tasty and well prepared. I did find it amazing how hard working the owner are...they work all day, and the waitress at the bayside remembered me and my order quirks after only one visit.

I will admit to being homesick, but moreso missing my wife and kids...which came as a surprise to me. That has been more of a personal battle that cannot be blamed on Kotz, but the reality is it is not a town the average person can handle. That is complicating my life at the moment, because I know my wife would not handle it here, but I am sure my boys would love it once they got a taste of it.

Prices are sky-high but expected for convienance. $10 for a gallon of milk, $8 for a bag of chips, etc... Clearly shipping from companies that provide to the bush would be best, but it is nice to know I can get things from the grocery store.

People are friendly, and welcoming, the other imported folks are extremely welcoming and make a big effort to let you know it is hard to acclimate. The native folks are friendly and nice...even the criminals that are appearing in court are polite and quiet. It really seems like the are fine until they drink, and then the typical stuff happens.

The town is small, and that I very cool...I lucked out and found a small house to rent, and it is just a few minutes to walk to the post office, or to the grocery store. It was fun to just walk to places, and everybody knows everybody.

Weather has been crisp and nice, funny how the sun seems to peak around 4pm, while it is dark at 8am when I head to the office.

I can't quite navigate the board on a iPad so when my computer comes I will provide a better update, and shoot tundra tantrum a email too.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,373 times
I am considering taking a nursing travel assignment in Kotzebue, Nome, Barrow one of these northern places. I would appreciate any information from some of the nurses who have been up there and done a contract... Any help in preparing myself would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 7,373 times
I would be going up there the very first week of June.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
You may want to start your own thread. This one is two years old.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
If I had to choose, I'd choose Nome. Of course, it's the only town of the three where I've actually spent some time, but it's a nice town if you steer clear of the drunks on front street. It's very pretty around there, you have good access to mountains and wilderness areas, good infrastructure (for being a bush hub), brand-new hospital, and even a small local arts scene. Of course, there's also Iditarod in March--fun times.

Of course, I'm biased. But I'd choose Nome first.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
Hello all I finally got Internet access and am using a iPad till my computer gets here, so I apologize for not updating earlier.

I will admit to being homesick, but moreso missing my wife and kids...which came as a surprise to me. That has been more of a personal battle that cannot be blamed on Kotz, but the reality is it is not a town the average person can handle. That is complicating my life at the moment, because I know my wife would not handle it here, but I am sure my boys would love it once they got a taste of it.
Don't count her out to quick. I thought the same thing when we first moved to Barrow. The thing that turned the tide was getting out and socializing. Once you can get involved with the other people that live there it makes your world seem not so small. We always enjoyed going over to the high school and watching the basketball games. Met some really neat people that way too.

Student Activities / Kotzebue Huskies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska