Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM

159 posts, read 442,747 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any places that hires winter seasonal assistants that help with any type of guide type work such as hiking,hunting,snowmachine,dog sledding tours etc? Anything outdoors basically..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Yeah...Chena hot springs is a big deal in the winter, with dogsledding and Aurora tours. There are some smaller places around too; look on Craigslist and also on AlaskaList.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Being a hunting guide requires special licensing.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:07 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,572 times
What Frostnip said; and being any type of guide involves lots of training and specialized knowledge. It doesn't sound like you have much of that considering you're asking about a wide variety of activities.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
Anyone know of any places that hires winter seasonal assistants that help with any type of guide type work such as hiking,hunting,snowmachine,dog sledding tours etc? Anything outdoors basically..........
There are people that do winter trips. Do you have winter experience? Most winter guiding does not involve hunting but does involve very cold weather and often dog teams. You might want to work for room and board for one of the winter guiding operations just for the experience.

Better might be to sign on as a caretaker for one of the lodges for the winter. Usually doesn't pay anything but room and board but can gain you winter experience. You need to be able to withstand extended stays by yourself in remote areas.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
What Frostnip said; and being any type of guide involves lots of training and specialized knowledge. It doesn't sound like you have much of that considering you're asking about a wide variety of activities.
I'm looking to be an assistant to a guide, not being the actual guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
There are people that do winter trips. Do you have winter experience? Most winter guiding does not involve hunting but does involve very cold weather and often dog teams. You might want to work for room and board for one of the winter guiding operations just for the experience.

Better might be to sign on as a caretaker for one of the lodges for the winter. Usually doesn't pay anything but room and board but can gain you winter experience. You need to be able to withstand extended stays by yourself in remote areas.
I'm not sure what kind of winter experience you mean?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what kind of winter experience you mean?
If you were stranded in the middle of a northern forest at -30 degrees with nothing more than a box of matches...how long would you survive?

You don't need that kind of experience, but you need enough experience to feel confident that you could survive for a week or two at least.

Have you done winter camping with no tent?

Do you have winter experience. Real Winter...below zero weather.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
If you were stranded in the middle of a northern forest at -30 degrees with nothing more than a box of matches...how long would you survive?

Im not sure

You don't need that kind of experience, but you need enough experience to feel confident that you could survive for a week or two at least.

Have you done winter camping with no tent?

Do you have winter experience. Real Winter...below zero weather.

I haven't done winter camping with no tent. I haven't lived anywhere where it gets below 0. The coldest I have slept outside was in a tent when it was 13 degrees out. I would love to camp in a colder environment though. I like the cold and the 13 F didn't feel very cold at all.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
I haven't done winter camping with no tent. I haven't lived anywhere where it gets below 0. The coldest I have slept outside was in a tent when it was 13 degrees out. I would love to camp in a colder environment though. I like the cold and the 13 F didn't feel very cold at all.

Well you can check with the University of Alaska Fairbanks, they are looking for some help this winter on some expeditions for the Ice worm work this winter... They live on Glaciers.

Ice worm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Ice worm
Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For methane ice worms, see Hesiocaeca methanicola.
Ice wormScientific classificationKingdom:AnimaliaPhylum:AnnelidaClass:ClitellataSubclass:OligochaetaOrder:HaplotaxidaFamily:EnchytraeidaeGenus:Mesenchytraeus
[SIZE=2]Eisen, 1878 [1][/SIZE]
Ice worms are species of the worm genus Mesenchytraeus that live in glacial ice. They include Mesenchytraeus solifugus, M. harrimani, M. kuril, M. maculatus and M. obscurus.
The first ice worms species were discovered in 1887 in Alaska, on the Muir Glacier .[2] These glacier ice worms can be found on glaciers in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. They have not been found in other glaciated regions of the world. The name "solifugus" is Latin for "sun-avoiding", as ice worms retreat underneath the ice before dawn. Enzymes in ice worms have very low optimal temperatures, and can be denatured at even a few degrees above 0 °C (32 °F). When ice worms are exposed to temperatures as high as 5 °C (41 °F), their membrane structures disassociate and fall apart (i.e., "melt") causing the worm itself to "liquify". Ice worms are several centimeters long, and can be black, blue, or white in color. The ice worms come to the surface of the glaciers in the evening and morning. On Suiattle Glacier in the North Cascades population counts indicated over 7 billion ice worms on that glacier alone.

What the hired help is going to be is to do the snow snake patrol, they are the natural predator for the ice worm. They have very small teeth and since they live in sub zero temps, they are about six feet long, with a seal like fur that is white and have an anti-freeze type of body fluid like some frogs so the cold doesn't affect them. But if they bit you, it is like pouring liquid nitrogen on your skin, you get an immediate case of frost bite. So you would be monitoring the sensors to tell the science techs that they are in the area.... Pay for that type of work is unbelievable!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Seriously, you probably won't be able to find any winter hunting guiding or hiking type of work, but there are places that have dog sled and snowmachine tours geared towards day tourists. You could start out doing something like that. As I aid, Chena Hot Springs might be a good place to start. I think there would be work of that type in Girdwood, as well, which might be a good place for you to start because it doesn't get as cold there as it does up around Fairbanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska