U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 PM

6,271 posts, read 7,912,681 times

Advertisements

I thought this was important enough to repost in it's own thread for those people that need a break from "Normal"...

I posted it in another thread, but thought some other may be interested enough to check it out after another posted was looking for winter work!

Enjoy, comments welcome....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Quote:
I haven't done winter camping with no tent. I haven't lived anywhere where it gets below 0. The coldest I have slept outside was in a tent when it was 13 degrees out. I would love to camp in a colder environment though. I like the cold and the 13 F didn't feel very cold at all.

Well you can check with the University of Alaska Fairbanks, they are looking for some help this winter on some expeditions for the Ice worm work this winter... They live on Glaciers.

Ice worm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Ice worm
Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For methane ice worms, see Hesiocaeca methanicola.
Ice wormScientific classificationKingdom:AnimaliaPhylum:AnnelidaClass:ClitellataSubclass:OligochaetaOrder:Haplotaxida
Family:EnchytraeidaeGenus:Mesenchytraeus
[SIZE=2]Eisen, 1878 [1][/SIZE]
Ice worms are species of the worm genus Mesenchytraeus that live in glacial ice. They include Mesenchytraeus solifugus, M. harrimani, M. kuril, M. maculatus and M. obscurus.
The first ice worms species were discovered in 1887 in Alaska, on the Muir Glacier .[2] These glacier ice worms can be found on glaciers in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. They have not been found in other glaciated regions of the world. The name "solifugus" is Latin for "sun-avoiding", as ice worms retreat underneath the ice before dawn. Enzymes in ice worms have very low optimal temperatures, and can be denatured at even a few degrees above 0 C (32 F). When ice worms are exposed to temperatures as high as 5 C (41 F), their membrane structures disassociate and fall apart (i.e., "melt") causing the worm itself to "liquify". Ice worms are several centimeters long, and can be black, blue, or white in color. The ice worms come to the surface of the glaciers in the evening and morning. On Suiattle Glacier in the North Cascades population counts indicated over 7 billion ice worms on that glacier alone.

What the hired help is going to be is to do the snow snake patrol, they are the natural predator for the ice worm. They have very small teeth and since they live in sub zero temps, they are about six feet long, with a seal like fur that is white and have an anti-freeze type of body fluid like some frogs so the cold doesn't affect them. But if they bit you, it is like pouring liquid nitrogen on your skin, you get an immediate case of frost bite. So you would be monitoring the sensors to tell the science techs that they are in the area.... Pay for that type of work is unbelievable!

Last edited by starlite9; 09-05-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Something extre for the cold nights!

Wilf Carter - When The Ice Worms Nest Again - YouTube

Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 PM

3,780 posts, read 4,178,880 times
I think I will pass on that job....

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM

I guess most need to read it a little slower

Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 AM

18,868 posts, read 15,566,403 times
Snow Snakes, yes, I have heard that they are very much a relative of the "Jackalope" down here in the lower 48. I think that they share the same DNA.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 AM

3,780 posts, read 4,178,880 times
I guess I should have put the sarcasm on flag too...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Snow Snakes, yes, I have heard that they are very much a relative of the "Jackalope" down here in the lower 48. I think that they share the same DNA.
You're correct! If you start out telling someone about the ice worms in Alaska, they don't believe you until they in fact see that there really is such a critter... Then when you talk about the snow snake, you can reel them in!

Almost as good as telling Newbies that if you pull a sheet out of the dryer and flap them at the Northern Lights, it makes them move from the static electricity being thrown off...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,781,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

Almost as good as telling Newbies that if you pull a sheet out of the dryer and flap them at the Northern Lights, it makes them move from the static electricity being thrown off...
I did not know that and I have a 4 year degree in Staticology from Regent University.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM

1,051 posts, read 860,057 times
I finally noticed the (possible) spelling error on the thread title: Looing for winter workers on Ice Fields-should we take the Looing as a Freudian slip? :-)

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I finally noticed the (possible) spelling error on the thread title: Looing for winter workers on Ice Fields-should we take the Looing as a Freudian slip? :-)
ahahaa good one! I wonder too???~ I have a thing with using glacier ice in any drinks as the ice worm thing freaks me out...have to even bleach the cooler when I use it just to chill things~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: