Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 42,403 times

Advertisements

Are there more men than woman in Kenai? Single people at all ? Mostly married? Retired? I am a single female. May be moving there and ...curious .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Dear Single Female...Yes...Yes...Yes...and Yes!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 PM

148 posts, read 951,385 times
Default Moving

Moving from Idaho,

I would hazard a guess that your phone will be ringing off the wall for a date an hour after you land in town. Women up in the frozen tundra are rather outnumbered by men.

If you're looking for a husband--no problem. Quantity is no problem, but quality might be a problem.

As part-time Homer resident Tom Bodett says, "We'll leave the light on for ya." The only problem is that some of them biggie, rugged, bearish Alaska men may be better-looking in the dark.

Just don't expect well-dressed GQ-type of men. Expect beards, a little body odor ( or a lot of body odor ), nose hair, ear hair, long hair, long nails, and yummy blubber for a romantic dinner.

Those Alaskan men aren't dumb, though. Living in a $70,000 cabin is smart when the next 8.2 earthquake rolls around.

Z

Last edited by Zelia; 12-05-2006 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: higher cabin price- granite countertops, and pool

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 PM

47 posts, read 58,590 times
Zelia,

I'm not from AK or even traveling there but just viewing some boards ~ saw your post and just laughed so hard! Too funny! I now have a visual that will be with me each time I hear "Alaska" ~ :-)

~Denise~ (Would take an AK guy in a $70K log cabin but he would have to lose the nose and ear hair and cut the nails!) :-)

Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Compliment

TexDen,

Thanks so much for the compliment.

When you really think about it-- body odor, nose hair, ear hair, and long nails are easy to fix. A person with HEART problems ( not very loving and romantic ) is much more difficult to fix.

When I first wrote the post I had a low price for a cabin. I checked one Web site, and cabins in Alaska are a lot more expensive than I thought they were. A lot more expensive!!!!!! Some of them do have a little land, but a 12' x 10' cabin for $60,000 or $70,000 is pretty darn expensive. Some of them look more like sheds.

Body odor in a 12' x 10' cabin/shed would be a little much.

Z

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM

Default AK men in cabins...

Hi Z,

You sparked an interest in me so I did some searching ~ there are very few single women in Alaska. I can only guess it's the weather and lack of quality jobs and income?? But it does seem to be a target-rich environment if you're looking for a the big, burly he-man type!

To you single men....what is night-life like? Hard to find quality ladies? I'm curious, really...

Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 42,403 times
Default love the replies, hillarious! Can't wait! : )

Thanks for the replies, hillarious! Probably true too! : )

Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDen View Post
Hi Z,

You sparked an interest in me so I did some searching ~ there are very few single women in Alaska. I can only guess it's the weather and lack of quality jobs and income?? But it does seem to be a target-rich environment if you're looking for a the big, burly he-man type!

To you single men....what is night-life like? Hard to find quality ladies? I'm curious, really...

Women probably do find the harsh weather a bit too, too, too much.

One factor, too, might be that women can't shop until they drop--especially in small, rural, isolated areas. What woman doesn't like to shop until she drops?

I can't imagine a woman shopping in huge Nome and Point Barrow malls. Anchorage malls might be okay, but not in small towns. QVC must be making millions in Alaska, from women who like to shop until they drop.

The club scene is probably not that much different than here in the lower 48 states--maybe a little more drinking, more depressing Country and Western songs, more tears in their beers; because so many guys are lonely and loveless.

I don't think many clubs would have wet T-shirt contests. Well, maybe FROZEN wet T-shirt contests. Ouch!

Z

Old 12-08-2006, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 26,528 times
Actually the ratio has statewide has switched 49% men 51 women, probably the high birth rate.
Kenai is a small town and the single men would greatly out number the single woman. The have a saying about single Alaskan Men and Women looking.
The odds are good; But the goods are odd.
There are some very nice men here and women to, it just like the poster said not the GQ type. If you like the outdoors. winter sports, ski, snow-machine, or just want to live in the most beautiful place on earth then Alaska is for you. If you want to get away from all the city car jams, Alaska is for you. If you do not mind dressing warm for -20 Alaska is for you.

I brought a beach bunny who rented bicycles on the beach in San Diego 23 years ago. She has no desire to leave at all. In fact I m selling my house in Southern Cal. as we both have no desire to leave. A vacation to somewhere in the winter is a good break but the scenery changes everyday, the people are very nice and some one is always willing to lend a hand in a pinch.
This is a place where shooting a moose out of season will get you 10 years.
A jury found a man not guilty for shooting his best friend in the butt, when he came home and the friend was in a compromised position, the "friend" jumped out the window naked and ran across a frozen lake. The guy took aim and shot him in the butt. He lived and the jury said not guilty. My kinda place...
Geoffrey

Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Default Man vs Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffinak85 View Post
This is a place where shooting a moose out of season will get you 10 years.
A jury found a man not guilty for shooting his best friend in the butt, when he came home and the friend was in a compromised position, the "friend" jumped out the window naked and ran across a frozen lake. The guy took aim and shot him in the butt. He lived and the jury said not guilty. My kinda place...
Geoffrey
That is TOO funny! No jail time for a shot to a man's behind while caught with another man's wife, but 10 years for shooting a moose out of season. Sounds like true justice to me :-) The man deserved to be shot ~ the moose didn't :-)

Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska