U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,742 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
[FONT=Verdana]Moving to Alaska has always been a big dream of mine! I'm not getting any younger, I'm not married and I dont have any children so I think its a great time to put my dream into action!! I am giving myself 1 year to make this happen. I will be moving with my sister so. I have done some research and all I can find is how EXPENSIVE it is to live there... Does anyone have any words of encouragement and advice on this dream of mine? I would also like to know what I need to do before I make the move?[/FONT]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM

2,338 posts, read 3,233,877 times
Yes, Alaska is more expensive. But a bunch of us live here and make it. And people move here all the time.
Well, unless you are independently wealthy, you'll need a job. And for that you'll need a job skill.
And Alaska is a big state. Where were you looking at moving to? I'd recommend a visit before hand to see what you are getting into.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,375,653 times
I went out to lunch yesterday with someone from Florida. He owns property in Alaska and comes up 2x a year. He commented how expensive everything was in Alaska compared to Florida. Groceries, gas, just about everything costs more. Some of it costs a lot more.

You will either increase your income or lower your standard of living.

Might as well know the facts.

On the other hand...I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM

9,145 posts, read 21,142,562 times
I live in Texas and know someone who made that move. I believe he started his own business once up there.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM

6,050 posts, read 10,282,121 times
I was born in Texas. Once you get out of it you never have a desire to go back. Besides that the Alamo is fixin' to fall, again.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 AM

2,738 posts, read 7,066,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainevm06 View Post
[SIZE=3]
Moving to Alaska has always been a big dream of mine! I'm not getting any younger, I'm not married and I don’t have any children so I think it’s a great time to put my dream into action!! I am giving myself 1 year to make this happen. I will be moving with my sister so. I have done some research and all I can find is how EXPENSIVE it is to live there... Does anyone have any words of encouragement and advice on this dream of mine? I would also like to know what I need to do before I make the move?
[/SIZE]

Relative to it's size, Alaska doesn't have very many roads. There are a LOT of towns with no road access at all. Literally everything has to be either flown in, or shipped in by boat. Prices of goods in these locations can be astronomical. For that reason I'd recommend considering only those towns with highway access.

You're probably tired of the incessant Texas heat...but...the other extreme is just as bad: the interior of Alaska is generally WAY colder in the winter than other locations. For example, in Fairbanks it can (and does) easily reach -50 , below zero...you can't generally go outdoors for more than 10 minutes or so without heavy winter clothing.

Where would I recommend moving to? Well....think Kenai, Soldotna, Homer...places on the Kenai Peninsula. The south-eastern panhandle of Alaska is warmer too, but rains quite a lot there. I live in Seward, another "too much rain" location. (move here only if you love small towns with 24/7 non-stop rain that lasts for days)

Bud

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM

17,852 posts, read 17,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainevm06 View Post
Moving to Alaska has always been a big dream of mine! I'm not getting any younger, I'm not married and I don’t have any children so I think it’s a great time to put my dream into action!! I am giving myself 1 year to make this happen. I will be moving with my sister so. I have done some research and all I can find is how EXPENSIVE it is to live there... Does anyone have any words of encouragement and advice on this dream of mine? I would also like to know what I need to do before I make the move?
Personally, I would start by letting the weather determine my general location in Alaska. Basically, your choice is between being cold and dry, or wet and warm.

Southeastern (panhandle) Alaska is the warmest part of the State during the winter. They still get snow, but it rarely drops below 0F. During the summer it almost constantly drizzles. Juneau may get only two or three sunny days per month. The entire panhandle, all the way up to Cordova, is a temperate rainforest where they get 50" or more of precipitation annually.

South central Alaska is colder and drier than the Alaskan panhandle. The Anchorage area will typically see it drop to -20F or colder for a few days in December, and again in February. However, most of the winter it is typically between 0F and 30F. While Anchorage gets about three times less annual precipitation than Juneau, there are still a great number of cloudy or overcast days because of the nearby mountain ranges. The temperatures in the summer are generally between 55F and 65F. It has gotten as warm as 80F in the summer, but only rarely.

Interior Alaska has the coldest temperatures in Alaska during the winter, and also the warmest during the summer. It is not uncommon for Fairbanks to see -40F or colder sometime during the winter, and it often exceeds 80F during the summer. Interior Alaska also has far more sunny days than cloudy days. Because of the heat in the summer, Interior Alaska is also where the vast majority of the thunderstorms form, which cause the majority of the forest fires.

Texas is dealing with a 3.5 million acre fire now, a record for Texas. Alaska's largest forest fire, located in the Interior of course, exceeded 7 million acres.

Once you have determined the kind of weather you consider to be acceptable, focus on that particular area of the State for jobs.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,654,704 times
Words of wisdom? Sure, go for a visit first.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
I'm moving from San Antonio to Anchorage in June 2016. I lived in South Naknek for a Summer, so I know that the cost of stuff is outrageous. I'm driving up so I'm planning on stocking up on basics, shampoo, conditioner, soap, fem hygiene, cooking spices, laundry soap....any other suggestions?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 AM

2,338 posts, read 3,233,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya Jean View Post
I'm moving from San Antonio to Anchorage in June 2016. I lived in South Naknek for a Summer, so I know that the cost of stuff is outrageous. I'm driving up so I'm planning on stocking up on basics, shampoo, conditioner, soap, fem hygiene, cooking spices, laundry soap....any other suggestions?
For the drive: get a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska