Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Stiffy...I think he needs a driving companion, you up for the ride?
I don't know. I think he'd talk tooooo much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,738,637 times
ROFLMAO !!!! falling down laughing !! sorry that just struck me so funny !

Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 AM

96 posts, read 255,809 times
Default Chena Hot Springs is Overrated

Really, it is overrated, overpriced. Lots of places to see the Northern Lights.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
Stiff, I swear you must really dislike people. Where did you get the idea that I would talk toooo much? I type thoroughly on here because it's the internet, but that doesn't mean I don't understand social skills and graces. Not to mention I don't think you'd be a very fun riding companion. It would be like taking my grumpy-ass grandpa.

Also, what makes you think I wouldn't pick Whittier as a place to live? Seems like a hell of a nice place to me.

And arcticracer, thanks for the heads-up about Chena. I figure if I'm going to be in the interior at all that gives me as good a chance of seeing them as I would at Chena, which is just one specific spot in the interior. Anyway, maybe I will skip that one, I'm not sure. In any case, thanks for your opinion.

Now it all comes down to getting the money together. If this doesn't happen this year (which I believe it can), it will most certainly happen next year. So, regardless of whether it's this winter or next, I will keep this thread. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give their advice, even stiffy. And hopefully I will be finally setting foot in Alaska for the first time very soon. Thanks again folks!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Not to mention I don't think you'd be a very fun riding companion. It would be like taking my grumpy-ass grandpa.

Also, what makes you think I wouldn't pick Whittier as a place to live? Seems like a hell of a nice place to me.
True this statement. I still think you'd talk way tooooooooo much. You wouldn't pick Whittier because there are very few jobs there. Also, everyone lives in the same building. Other then Begich Towers there isn't much in the way of private housing for rent. Check it out.

http://begichtowers.com/

Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Well well Ship - Stiffnecked gave you very sound and useful advice. Whitter is not a place you could ever settle down. There is nothing to do, you are remote and cut off, and 9 chances out of ten - you would never ever be able to get a job in that place. Add to that - you are an 'outsider' and no matter what - you will always be treated in that manner. It was very sound 'helpful' advice. But YOU got this all figured out... (chuckle). Watch what happens... !! Yes by all means keep this thread opened and on going.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Chitty, speaking of walk the walk and talk the talk. You've been saying for the past year that "something good is going to happen soon" and you claim to be moving back to Barrow. You also claim to you will build a new shelter for Brother Francis. Why are you still in Anchorage? Why haven't you build the new shelter? Why are you shooting down on Ship? Move to Barrow, build the shelter, or keep quiet!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
I forgot to mention the new teen center in Barrow.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Chitty, speaking of walk the walk and talk the talk. You've been saying for the past year that "something good is going to happen soon" and you claim to be moving back to Barrow. You also claim to you will build a new shelter for Brother Francis. Why are you still in Anchorage? Why haven't you build the new shelter? Why are you shooting down on Ship? Move to Barrow, build the shelter, or keep quiet!
It will happen, I am more anxious than you are. Any day now.. .. .. and then I want to hear what you have to say!

I am going to make a complete fool out of you wartman; Oh wait . You have already done that yourself by being wrong in your accusations too many times.

I am not getting down on Ship - His presumptions are running wild!

And for the latest news; The photography forum is in an uproar !! It seems one member is trying to convince all the pro's - they are wrong !!

IN fact I was told.. That this photograph here.. (Sun) is much better than ANY PHOTO I have ever made !!

The intelligence level of some people can only be measured by using a 'fraction'!!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,818,309 times
I didn't presume anything. I asked why Whittier wouldn't be a place I could move to, and he answered the question. Problem solved. I asked a question, he gave an answer, and that's that. Now I know more than I did before I asked the question, thus the question was a success. Also, your ability to stick to a topic is all but nonexistent Eves. Quit talking sh*t about Floyd in my thread. You already do that in every Barrow thread, and this is not a freaking Barrow thread. I'm trying to get useful information from people who actually have some to give. I don't even know why you're posting here unless you have advice to give, and even then I would take it with a grain of salt given your history here.

The reason I was going to go to Whittier is because I am desperate to see at least one of the Prince William Sound area towns, and unless the map is just wrong, there seems to be a road going into Whittier. Portage Glacier Road goes straight there, but the weird part is that about halfway there, the marking on the map turns into dotted lines, which makes me think it's an unimproved trail or something. So I guess my question is, can you drive to Whittier?

And to address something Eves said about being "remote and cut off" and how that would prevent me from settling down in a place... that's kind of the whole point of moving to Alaska for me: to be "remote and cut off". I don't need "things to do" living in a place like Alaska. If you're as nuts about the outdoors as me, there are always things to do. And that is NOT an assumption, as I have three friends here in town who lived in Alaska (one for fourteen years), and they all think that I've got a good idea of what I'm getting into. The only people who have raised doubts have been a couple of internet trolls. Big whoop.

Anyway, sorry to be rambling so much, but people, please don't ruin this thread. It's the only thread I've ever made on this forum, and I would prefer not to have a bunch of the Eves vs. Floyd crap or anything of that nature. And thanks yet again to all those who have been helpful, and that includes Stiffy. Can't believe I just said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska