Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM

370 posts, read 882,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Yea, what she said. Rent a car when you get here and find/test drive your own car.

The scammers are using real houses. Was it someone here even that looked up the tax records for one and it seemed legit but was still a scam?
Hi,
I amy purchase without a test drive. But the rental car is an option.
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,
No blame, just acceptance. If they do not want to sell then that just stops the sale or purchase. They can do whatever they want. However, edit to add because I'd overlooked. If I suspect someone as being possible untrustrustworthy because they choose not to consider selling to me after having spoke with me, what do they care? I figure that we all project a bit of ourselves and if after speaking with me they project suspicions then, I suspect they may be suspicious. No matter, it doesn't phase me a bit. Its their life, their choice and I'm moving on.

Jen/Gen
Again, does the way you want to purchase a car involve the seller giving you their bank account number? I don't know of any other way to do a transfer, do you? And you consider someone untrustworthy because they won't give their bank account number to a complete stranger from CL? LOL.

Maybe they care because they don't want to see others fall victim to an identity theft scam.

Because that's exactly what this sounds like. There was someone recently on scammers.com trying to pull this same thing. Renting from afar...having the landlord "collect" the car...paying by money transfer.

This is how to do it if you're real....if you must buy a vehicle sight unseen, you get a cashier's check from a legit. bank and you overnight it to the seller. The seller then waits until the check clears before turning it over to you or to your landlord.

Anyway, I hope that explains to you why some people are hesitant to do business with you.

And I would advise anyone reading this not to give their bank account numbers to strangers. Seems like a given in today's world but there are still some pretty naive and too trusting people out there. Some Alaskans may be more trusting than most because identity theft really hasn't been much of a problem here.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I did sell an old beater car to an out of state buyer through craigslist. I told him it needed brakes etc but he didn't care. He sent me a check. I cashed it and sent him the title and left it at Diamond Parking in Anchorage with the key under the mat. Never heard from him again.

But that was a $500 beater van that he wanted to drive to Kenai and live in for the summer. He really didn't care and only risked $500.

On the other hand, the internet an craigslist are scammer heaven. Most of these scammers do not live in Alaska. If they want you to send the check out of country...run.

Otherwise...good luck. I don't like to buy anything sight unseen.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Again, does the way you want to purchase a car involve the seller giving you their bank account number? I don't know of any other way to do a transfer, do you? And you consider someone untrustworthy because they won't give their bank account number to a complete stranger from CL? LOL.

Maybe they care because they don't want to see others fall victim to an identity theft scam.

Because that's exactly what this sounds like. There was someone recently on scammers.com trying to pull this same thing. Renting from afar...having the landlord "collect" the car...paying by money transfer.

This is how to do it if you're real....if you must buy a vehicle sight unseen, you get a cashier's check from a legit. bank and you overnight it to the seller. The seller then waits until the check clears before turning it over to you or to your landlord.

Anyway, I hope that explains to you why some people are hesitant to do business with you. edit to add. It is not an issue for me because I am putting a deposit/transfer/funds into the account to purchase. I feel that if someone isn't comfortable with that then, so be it. Trying to sway them or convince them is not even a consideration because I was the same way at first. I respect their choice. It doesn't bother me one iota. However, if they want to call me a scammer on the phone then I think they may have issues but, again, I don't care.

Moving on and buying a different car then, no worries.

And I would advise anyone reading this not to give their bank account numbers to strangers. Seems like a given in today's world but there are still some pretty naive and too trusting people out there. Some Alaskans may be more trusting than most because identity theft really hasn't been much of a problem here.
It is a non-issue for me. I am not bothered by it in the least.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
It is a non-issue for me. I am not bothered by it in the least.
I didn't make that post for you. I made it to warn others that there are scammers out there trying to get their bank account numbers.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I didn't make that post for you. I made it to warn others that there are scammers out there trying to get their bank account numbers.
"Again, does the way you want to purchase a car involve the seller giving you their bank account number? I don't know of any other way to do a transfer, do you? And you consider someone untrustworthy because they won't give their bank account number to a complete stranger from CL? LOL. "

The above is a non-issue for me. I won't push someone, if they don't want a transfer that is perfectly respectable. I agreed for the first 15 years of online banking too. Thought it was crazy.

Gen

Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Again, I didn't post it for you. I posted it for anyone considering giving their bank account number to a stranger from Craigslist. And I think it's flat out weird that you don't seem to want to consider another way.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
What's wrong with a cashiers check sent overnight??

Old 10-06-2011, 04:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
I should have saved the emails I received from swindlers when I put some items up for sale on CL.

You'd really have to be more numb than a frozen mukluk to fall for their shenanigans. That's more of a diss on the moronic scammers than it is on the people who may fall prey to their pathetic attempts to victimize you.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What's wrong with a cashiers check sent overnight??

I owned several retail businesses in a small town for most of a decade, and I never, NEVER accepted a mailed in cashier's check. Never accepted one over the counter either, unless it was drawn on either of the local banks, who would vouch for the authenticity of the checks before I accepted them.

But then, no one would take the time to get a cahsier's check from a bank two blocks away when they could hand me the cash instead.

My accountant, and my banker both insisted on the "no cashier's checks" thing because of the high incidence of forged cashier's checks.

Same went for money orders, the only ones I ever accepted through my online business were postal money orders, as other flavors were a bit more likely to be forged.

It is a terrible thing to not trust something as simple and long lived as the cashier's check, but that is where the world is now.

Admittedly it is much more inconvenient to NOT accept that as a form of payment, but not near as inconvenient as losing several thousand dollars to a forged cashier's check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska