U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,116,985 times

Advertisements

The core has no ivory; Spiral Ear-rings or simpel dot types can be made out of a larger piece of core; but there is not really enough to work with in this case. And... if there were; time spent working with actual ivory is time better spent. It is not cost effective to work with the core. It is akin to switching from ivory to working with a common type of wood. The time spent working with that material will not produce very much income or have much sales appeal.

Thanks for the comments. We should have some new photos soon for more ideas. Books on Native art are a good source for ideas. I'll post a kewl trick in the new post to show you how easy it can be to make an eagle out of a small piece of ivory. All you need is a pair of scissors and some glue!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Tricks of the PRO'S .. ..

Here is a very kewl trick to help you become a pro in no time. As soon as people see your finished work; they will marvel at your skill!

Take your scissors out and cut out the picture and glue it to the ivory that will be shaped to your drawing.

Use your dremel tool and add the detail where needed. Or add insets made of baleen, turquoise, oynx, or other colored stones you can purchase @ Black Elk Leather or any other type craft shop.

What can I say ? Except it is the end of another very great day!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Today we work on these pieces; put them together. Draw the shapes on the shapes for added insets of the same shape.

Wake up! It is time to 'walk' to work! No traffic - no hassles, Finish 3 bracelets and get out the door to hustle; and try and be home before noon and our day is finished!

While two of my sons work on these pieces today, One will work on making more pieces to add to the total amount of the10 existing bracelets by making pieces for ten more. That is going to require an additional 100 pieces; and for insets an additional 100 additional smaller pieces! They will stay busy; for a few hours; Same simple routine, same simple boring steps; but all I hear all day long;.. .. is laughter, they have a good time, working but it is more akin to playing & learning how to have fun doing -their JOB!!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Our latest designs and products we finished this morning. Ear-rings & Bracelets.

Taking a break from polishing a bracelet with fabuluster;

The signature is barely visible in the back black piece of baleen.

You can see the signature on the back of all of our bracelets. Name & date

Exceptional quality in a hexagonal bracelet with hex insets placed perfectly & precisely into each piece.

Our latest batch of ear-rings requested by another different shop owner here in Anchorage.

Another day is finished... ... ! Everything was sold today. We begin all over again first thing tommorrow morning!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Default IMPROVISE.. ..at times it is necessary!

We have no 'studs' to insert in the top of the ear-ring(s) for the loops to attach to. We have to 'make' some.

Mail seems to be running slow and our order from Black Elk hasn't arrived yet. No biggie. We will improvise.

Using a metal cutting fiber wheel we will cut the tops off the loops. Use those to insert into the tops of the ear-rings and attach a new loop.

Cutting metal requires the use of safety glasses, Safety is first! Take the time.

YOU.. ... only have one pair of eyes- that can't be replaced!

Quality products w/ rock solid lifetime guarantee!

More to follow (daily)...

Old 12-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Slow & Easy today... ..

Walrus teeth; Polar bear paw pendant; more baleen / ivory ear-rings!

See ya tomorrow!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Default A new Artist - His first pieces of mastodon Ivory!

Yes someone from City Data has taken the time to follow the simple instructions and photograhs to create his very first Ivory Bracelet!!

WoW! I am impressed; but not surprised; As I said many times before; this is very simple to accomplish!!

Same simple shapes done by a different person - who has never done this before ever! These pieces could easily pass for our work but they are not even done in the same state!

Soaking the pieces in baby oil or mineral oil to bring out the hues of fossil ivory to a darker color!

Not bad for a person doing it for their very first time - A rookie! But he produces the exact same results we do!!

Although this member may be a rookie when it comes to working with ivory; His shop display's all the products & tools of a true professional!

I currently know of and are aware of 1/2 dozen members now attempting to duplicate our style of braclets - go for it!! We wish you all the very best of luck in your new hobby. I know for a fact each of you will become very successfull in doing this.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Default Work @ home.. make kewl stuff.. carving ivory!

Well I provided proof positive that a complete rookie can duplicate our style and make Ivory shapes, that look exactly like ours!!

Two pendents; The face of an owl ? And a plain piece of fossil mastodon ivory.

Black & White; This simple design is the most popular requested style in Kotzebue by the tourists each year.

Making simple products; is very easy to do; your imagination will provide you with a wealth of different types of simple things to make that you can easily turn into cash! The magic word is IVORY! It truely is .. .. more valuable than gold and much easier to obtain.

Much more to follow; including something new, Yesterday we met someone who has heard about us and he called us on the phone saying; I've heard many good things about you young men; I want to discuss some upcoming work I have for you- Lots of repair work and something new I need. Gun handles made out of pure ivory! Yes! We have done that before. The repair work is for lots of bracelets - not made by us!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,406,117 times
great job La***ter! not sure you want your name out there! hahaaa

Last edited by blueflames50; 12-14-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM

22,652 posts, read 30,738,970 times
Where's my bracelet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska