U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 PM
 
355 posts, read 441,576 times
Reputation: 132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
ULU knife, I had a brain fart, sorry.


Very. Practical. Knife. We bought one (my parents did anyway) when we were there in the 90's and my mom still uses it all the time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 AM
 
811 posts, read 1,138,258 times
Reputation: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2AK4job View Post
Very. Practical. Knife. We bought one (my parents did anyway) when we were there in the 90's and my mom still uses it all the time!
I use them a lot for cutting up fish and skinning animal and fleshing hides.
I have made a few of my own. I have about 5 very old ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 4,095,702 times
Reputation: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
ULU knife, I had a brain fart, sorry.


That's what I thought you were referring to; Yes an Ulu knife is awesome and so practical to use. they come in all sizes from huge 9" blade to tiny ones for sewing that look like a dolls toy.


Ulu ear-rings are so simple to make and they sell like wildfire all over this state.

If you take the time and do the work & work hard and have a good system set up. you can easily make 100 pair in one day. Do the math - x$20/30 each is one hell of a days pay.




Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
 
355 posts, read 441,576 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
That's what I thought you were referring to; Yes an Ulu knife is awesome and so practical to use. they come in all sizes from huge 9" blade to tiny ones for sewing that look like a dolls toy.


Ulu ear-rings are so simple to make and they sell like wildfire all over this state.

If you take the time and do the work & work hard and have a good system set up. you can easily make 100 pair in one day. Do the math - x$20/30 each is one hell of a days pay.



Wow sity these are amazing as well! I wish i had checked out this thread sooner! I honestly wasnt interested in it at all until i "miss-clicked".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 4,095,702 times
Reputation: 1146
Well this thread is part Duex or Deux Part one is 42 pages of incredible bracelets step by step that were made from last April - Sept there abouts.

Since then they have sold close to 300 of them and more than that in ear-rings. They have quite the reputation all over the arctic and spreading all over Anchorage. I'm very proud of the work they do.

Yeah I pulled them all out of high school and taught them skills that are not taught in school - salesmanship & marketing skills working with professionals in all the many different native corporations all over Anchorage.

We get up early; out the door before 10:am and usually back home before noon with the work day is over. The way we live - we require 300 to make it through the day. Anything over that - we find a way to just give it away to people we know that need help. One such person we were helping (daily) recently passed away the night before last. I'm proud my sons made his last days much more comfortable!

Thanks for the very kind words!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 AM
 
355 posts, read 441,576 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Well this thread is part Duex or Deux Part one is 42 pages of incredible bracelets step by step that were made from last April - Sept there abouts.

Since then they have sold close to 300 of them and more than that in ear-rings. They have quite the reputation all over the arctic and spreading all over Anchorage. I'm very proud of the work they do.

Yeah I pulled them all out of high school and taught them skills that are not taught in school - salesmanship & marketing skills working with professionals in all the many different native corporations all over Anchorage.

We get up early; out the door before 10:am and usually back home before noon with the work day is over. The way we live - we require 300 to make it through the day. Anything over that - we find a way to just give it away to people we know that need help. One such person we were helping (daily) recently passed away the night before last. I'm proud my sons made his last days much more comfortable!

Thanks for the very kind words!!
Its true and a shame that many schools do not teach those practical and necessary life skills and from us "younguns" out here in the real world thanks for passing on those firsthand skills!

Also sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 4,095,702 times
Reputation: 1146
Its a cruel world out there; and I swore up and down when I was a kid that if I ever did grow up( still never have) My kids were not going to go through what I had to endure every day at work. My sons work @ home and they have a great time each & every day.

This has been our norm for 8 years. with 11 months off last year. Its basically free money every day. Yeah we play at home then go out to collect. What a incredibly easy way to get out of the "system" and do it yourself. We eat like kings & fart like pigs Or is it the other way around ? I keep forgetting!

EDIT: Its tough times out there.. This is an easy proven method for anyone to make extra income working from the comfort of your own home (or apt) with no hassles of the world's system- we are accountable to no one - we do what we want when we want & it sure is a huge relief from the old working days for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
 
811 posts, read 1,138,258 times
Reputation: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
That's what I thought you were referring to; Yes an Ulu knife is awesome and so practical to use. they come in all sizes from huge 9" blade to tiny ones for sewing that look like a dolls toy.


Ulu ear-rings are so simple to make and they sell like wildfire all over this state.

If you take the time and do the work & work hard and have a good system set up. you can easily make 100 pair in one day. Do the math - x$20/30 each is one hell of a days pay.




That is very nice work, have you tried to sell them on ebay? I have bought some small carvings made of moose antlers over the year from there. They fetch some good money. With that being ivory it will fetch a lot more money.

Edit: You should open up a website and sell around the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,320 posts, read 4,095,702 times
Reputation: 1146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post

That is very nice work, have you tried to sell them on ebay? I have bought some small carvings made of moose antlers over the year from there. They fetch some good money. With that being ivory it will fetch a lot more money.

Edit: You should open up a website and sell around the world.
Thanks for the great advice - We have been doing that for many years. Mod Cut

I have no desire to post anything on e-bay.

Thanks again for your encouraging comments

Last edited by Rance; 11-06-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Advertising Website
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM
 
811 posts, read 1,138,258 times
Reputation: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Thanks for the great advice - We have been doing that for many years.

I have no desire to post anything on e-bay.

Thanks again for your encouraging comments
Cool website, It take a while to get through the whole thing, cool art and pictures. You have the items as needed? PM with what I would like to buy?
You do other carving on other material than ivory, like antlers?

Last edited by Rance; 11-06-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top