Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,727,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
Man it happened again! A kid from Mississippi got a job because of his dad. One of the guys I worked with before filled me in. A kid with no experience. I applied for this position, and was told it was already filled when I called. I have a family to take care of and this crap. At least give it to an IN STATE kid.
maybe it is time you had a sit down with a former boss and ask if there is any particular reason you are being passed over for these positions....maybe something needs to be cleared up or changed...just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,624,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
I'm to the point if i don't get something decent soon to accomplish my goals I'm going to head to North Dakota since I know many southern boys, like up here, will ditch for the winter and I will prevail.
North Dakota is soon going to become the number two oil producing state. Texas is number one.

Why doesn't Alaska utilize more wind power? I hear a lot of folks living in Alaska talk about the wind there, so why not use it?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM

455 posts, read 743,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Why doesn't Alaska utilize more wind power? I hear a lot of folks living in Alaska talk about the wind there, so why not use it?
Because it's fugly as hell and we like our state purdy.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Because it's fugly as hell and we like our state purdy.
Oh.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 PM

455 posts, read 743,125 times
Quote:
Oh.
Yup.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,419 times
Quote:
Sale of Fire Island wind power to Chugach Electric gets OK: Energy | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 PM

That's what I'm talking about. Just as soon as I can figure out a way to get 6 or more PFDs a year, I'm moving to Alaska.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,419 times
Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. Just as soon as I can figure out a way to get 6 or more PFDs a year, I'm moving to Alaska.
Well I know how, but kids are expensive (and a pain in the butt!)!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,461 times
This here:

Quote:
Chugach estimates the deal will initially result in a 1.7 percent increase in a typical residential bill. The utility forecasts the 25-year wind power agreement will save customers money over the longer term, though, with expected increases in the price of natural gas.
Is why, I think, wind projects often don't get the go-ahead. They raise costs for people in the short term, and the projected long-term benefit is hard to see since it's so far off. And honestly, with the very small amount of trust I have in large corporations' ability to be open and accountable with their finances, I kinda doubt anyone will ever see that benefit other than the bigwigs at Chugach Electric. I dunno, wind power costs money to get going, and it provides a very small amount of electricity. Plus those windmills have to be maintained and everything else, and that requires paying workers and paying for materials, so your cost goes up again. When all is said and done, it's hard to say if there's any tremendous benefit in investing in wind power options.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
Quote:
North Dakota is soon going to become the number two oil producing state. Texas is number one.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - State approves GVEA wind farm project (http://newsminer.com/bookmark/16059137-State-approves-GVEA-wind-farm-project - broken link)

Delta Wind Farm - Fairbanks Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska