U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM

633 posts, read 850,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
take plenty of vitamin d.

Get a headlight.

Learn to do stuff in the dark. People hike in the dark. I used to trap at night, didn't make a lot of difference. I remember heading out at 10 pm one time with a full moon.

There is still daylight...just not as much as places down south.

About heading out in the dark...when do bears start hibernating? Spottin one of them in the dark might make me want to head for a bar Can you elaborate on the headlight...so everybody doesn't go to local autoparts store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM

431 posts, read 329,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Hailey View Post
I imagine friends gather making a bonfire, cooking s'mores while watching the dancing northern lights..
Yep, that's exactly what we do, every single night if we can. And we play guitars and sing. Boy can we sing.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM

431 posts, read 329,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
About heading out in the dark...when do bears start hibernating? Spottin one of them in the dark might make me want to head for a bar Can you elaborate on the headlight...so everybody doesn't go to local autoparts store
No bears in the winter. But the wolves are constantly nipping at your heels which is a little unsettling when you can't see them.

What Marty means are those little LED lights that strap on to your forehead and shine wherever you're looking.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:22 PM

633 posts, read 850,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
No bears in the winter. But the wolves are constantly nipping at your heels which is a little unsettling when you can't see them.

What Marty means are those little LED lights that strap on to your forehead and shine wherever you're looking.
LOL...your onery Glad you clarified. I was thinking the head lamp....LOL the fake UV light. Oh my....to think I made it through College

I had actually read before in a post...some use indoor or head lamps to get Vit D.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,220,333 times
What we're doing this winter when it's dark and crummy: learning how to cross-country ski, making our own beer and wine, building a climbing wall in the garage, and turning our greenhouse into a sauna.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM

20,991 posts, read 21,865,718 times
It gets dark?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM

850 posts, read 1,072,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It gets dark?
Not if you turn on the lights.

From early May to darkthirty it's a full time job gardening, gathering, fishing, cutting firewood, hunting, canning ....neverending chores to get ready for winter. By the time it gets here I'm so greatful for the chance to kick back and spend time with my friends I look forward to the long gloomy dark nights.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM

14,837 posts, read 24,438,754 times
Skiing, snowmachining, ice fishing, photo taking, dining out, road tripping...there is plenty to do despite the limited daylight hours. One just has to drag their behind off the couch and get out there.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,309,067 times
Just get outdoors, hiking, fishing, snowmachining, anything outside.
Also, it depends of where you're from, myself being from northern MI (lived a way too short 3 1/2 years in AK), there isn't much difference...get out. If you stay inside all winter you'll drive yourself, and others, nuts.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:30 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,600,585 times
Search for phenomenon of extraterrestrial origins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska