Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:11 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Wow. You guys have cheaper store brand milk than we do! And we've got dairy farms all over the place!

And that gas price ain't bad at all. It's only about 50 cents more than here. Still ridiculous considering the fact that so much oil is pumped from Alaska, but as far as compared to lower 48 prices, that's really not bad. 'Course if you're driving a large truck, it's still expensive no matter what. But, I have decided, well worth the extra money.
Generic items aren't too expensive, although in here most of us have to drive long distances to the stores, which in turn adds to the expense. However, a lot of people wait until they need a lot of supplies, not just one or two items, before driving to Fairbanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I'm moving to Alaska (Anchorage) soon and I'd like compare prices on some Wal-Mart items. What would I pay for these items in Anchorage?
Here are some photos/prices at an Anchorage grocery store from two years ago.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageGroceryPrices

For the heck of it, here are some from Barrow from last year.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/BarrowGroceryPrices

Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
Grocery prices in Anchorage and Fairbanks are about what I was paying in Tampa, which was higher than in North Texas. Prices average about 30% more out here, so when we go to town everything (especially produce) seems really cheap. You get used to it though, and if you don't live in the city you're probably saving money elsewhere just because you don't have all the shopping and expensive entertainment around tempting you to throw away your money. And even if you don't fish or hunt or garden, you can save quite a bit of money on groceries by buying in bulk and not buying junk food.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
You are so right no matter where you live... Junk food cut out of my grocery bill and it's amazing how much cheaper I can live... the most entertainment I've had lately is when I break a drill bit

the prices are a bit higher on somethings and not too far off other things. items here went up quite a bit when gas prices went up.. most things are shipped by truck so with diesel really high it hurts the cost of our produce too... The only thing much cheaper here are potatoes... many potatoe farmers in the state of Wisconsin.. yes you thought it was cheese right?? LOL.. I'm going to have to ship a bunch of cheese to myself when I move.. really do love it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
You are so right no matter where you live... Junk food cut out of my grocery bill and it's amazing how much cheaper I can live... the most entertainment I've had lately is when I break a drill bit

the prices are a bit higher on somethings and not too far off other things. items here went up quite a bit when gas prices went up.. most things are shipped by truck so with diesel really high it hurts the cost of our produce too... The only thing much cheaper here are potatoes... many potatoe farmers in the state of Wisconsin.. yes you thought it was cheese right?? LOL.. I'm going to have to ship a bunch of cheese to myself when I move.. really do love it.
Potatoes grow quite well in Fairbanks and vicinity, and there are a few potato farmers around North Pole and Salcha. Also, the potatoes in this area aren't sprayed to retard bud growth like they are in the lower-48. So, if you move up here, even with our short summers you still can do a little farming.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM

200 posts, read 287,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I'm moving to Alaska (Anchorage) soon and I'd like compare prices on some Wal-Mart items. What would I pay for these items in Anchorage?
Prices listed are what I paid today.
gallon of milk-$3.48
26.5 oz Hunts spaghetti sauce $.92
13 oz nutella $3.08
114 oz. Metamucil $9.58
Pillsbury cake mix $.92
16 oz. pecan halves $4.98
4 lb. Sugar $2.24
5 lb flour $1.88
9 lb. 12 oz Surf laundry soap $10.97
Great Value gallon distilled water $.83
nature Sweet cherry tomatoes 10.5 oz. $3.48
Libby pumpkin 15 oz can $1.68
GV evaporated milk 12 oz $.82
GV sweetened condensed milk 14 oz. $1.48
chef boy dee mini ravioli 15 oz $.92
I recently moved to the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage, and have been closely watching the grocery prices in this area. I must say, I have been pleasantly surprised! Milk is actually the same or cheaper here than it was in TN. Snack foods are definitely higher, as well as some packaged foods. You can save some money by using store coupons and shopping the sales if you are trying to stick to a budget. Without coupons, I would say the prices are, on average, approx. 15% higher. The sales tax is much lower here than in TN, so that offsets my price comparison a bit. I recently bought fresh veggies grown in the Mat-Su Valley that were very reasonably priced and yummy on top of that! Next time I go shopping, I will try to save receipt so that I can give you specifics

Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Milk runs about $3.49 - $3.99 a gallon.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 PM

468 posts, read 799,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Here are some photos/prices at an Anchorage grocery store from two years ago.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageGroceryPrices

For the heck of it, here are some from Barrow from last year.
https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/BarrowGroceryPrices
Kinda sad that I am jealous of the grocery prices in Barrow. I paid $8 for a loaf of bread this week. I really *needed* it!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Kinda sad that I am jealous of the grocery prices in Barrow. I paid $8 for a loaf of bread this week. I really *needed* it!

That's a line you don't see often!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,169 times
the most entertainment I've had lately is when I break a drill bit

(too funny)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska