Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 PM

216 posts, read 364,618 times

Advertisements

Kenai, Soldotna would be a good place to look into. There was talk awhile ago of some kind of med center or clinic going in in Kenai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post
As for why we want some acreage, why not? Property ownership is a stalwart of stable societies and I like to be able to have some space to do things, whether to raise animals or grow ice-rice as was alluded (rice is a staple of our diet, after all).
On a more serious note then, if you're going to grow rice you might want to consider one of the wild varieties that is more suited to the Alaskan climate.

In southeast Alaska you could plant Northern Rice Root as pictured below. Or in southcentral Alaska you could plant Chocolate Lily. They both produce a rice bulblet that is edible.

On a nature tour I was doing in Ketchikan a few years ago I came across this plant. I was calling it a Chocolate Lily until it was pointed out to me that it was actually a Northern Rice Root. The differences are small but they are there.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
If you want some acreage, more layed-back lifestyle, not sure where you are now, but lower cost of living in AK (though higher than -48) I would stick with Kenai peninsula. You have a decent selection of grocery stores, other stores, and do not need to go far unless you want city entertainment, lots of outdoor activities, hey maybe they have a Thai cooking class at the community college, etc., or start one?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
On a more serious note then, if you're going to grow rice you might want to consider one of the wild varieties that is more suited to the Alaskan climate.

In southeast Alaska you could plant Northern Rice Root as pictured below. Or in southcentral Alaska you could plant Chocolate Lily. They both produce a rice bulblet that is edible.

On a nature tour I was doing in Ketchikan a few years ago I came across this plant. I was calling it a Chocolate Lily until it was pointed out to me that it was actually a Northern Rice Root. The differences are small but they are there.
We have these all over the yard at our cabin! I had no idea it was edible.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We have these all over the yard at our cabin! I had no idea it was edible.
What you have in your area are probably Chocolate lillies. Good article in the Redbout Reporter, link attached.

Wait until late in the summer/early fall and there is a bulblet of rice lookin' stuff attached to it. You gotta soak it over night to take some of the bitterness out of it. In all honesty it's really just easier to buy a bag of rice at the store. But in one of those Bear Grylls survival moments it could come in handy.

Science of the Seasons: Pretty smelly

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
amazed that people dont know how much us RN's make. i have made way over 100K/year with just a little overtime or per diem work on the side.
most of the RN's i work with make a base pay of around 65-80K here in Texas

Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 AM

48 posts, read 111,186 times
Well...seems that our choices are being narrowed down to Soldotna or Fairbanks. Juneau seems nice climate wise, but the cost-of-living is higher than we would like, especially compared to Soldotna or Fairbanks. But perhaps it is worth it? I need to get up and take a tour of all these places.

That being said, is winter the worst time to visit, lol? Or perhaps the best, so that we can see the worst of the weather?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Danisiri... Juneau is a friendly place with locals willing to help.. at least when I visited there and they found out I wasn't on a cruise ship

The problem with Juneau is you are locked in with only boat or air to get to other areas in Alaska. Since you would have the "income" to fly to other areas that might work out for you but like you stated the cost of living is much higher. I had asian food while there and it was great.. not Thai though.. good luck in your choice.

Like Ship posted... many helpful people in these Alaskan posts and there are so many posters such as yourself and myself wanting to move to Alaska and the first thing most Alaskan "wanna bes" must keep in mind... it is nothing like the lower 48 and thank goodness it isn't.. that's why I want to relocate myself... and I wish I could visit more before my move but the cost, at least for me, just isn't feasible.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Default interesting :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What you have in your area are probably Chocolate lillies. Good article in the Redbout Reporter, link attached.

Wait until late in the summer/early fall and there is a bulblet of rice lookin' stuff attached to it. You gotta soak it over night to take some of the bitterness out of it. In all honesty it's really just easier to buy a bag of rice at the store. But in one of those Bear Grylls survival moments it could come in handy.

Science of the Seasons: Pretty smelly
Stiff... very interesting... there are more things that are so incredible that one would have never have imagined... thank you for these..

Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post

That being said, is winter the worst time to visit, lol? Or perhaps the best, so that we can see the worst of the weather?
I would say you should visit this winter...like in January or February, and then again in June. That would show you the best and worst of Alaska. It's like night and day. Part of what I like about Alaska is the extremes and winter and summer in Alaska are certainly extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska