Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM

455 posts, read 743,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
They get to speak for themselves at meetings and whatever, but I very highly doubt that is given any serious consideration at an oil company's meeting when they make the decision to drill or not to drill.
Alaska Native Corporations are very influential in all matters, state and federal, in Alaska. Oil companies ignore them at great peril. Now that's not to say they run the show, but NANA does not just show up to say a few words at some meeting, believe me. Wealthy ANCs benefit from no-bid federal contracts (thanks Uncle Ted), using (and sometimes abusing) their special preferences at every level.

We're not talking about small companies/humble natives trying to find their way and grow in order to help the native populations.

Also, oil companies don't get to "make the decision to drill or not to drill", they only get to make the decision to pursue it through the Gordian knot of federal, state, private and ANC interests--in a highly competitive and incredibly regulated environment.

Maybe the egregious past history influences our view of the "noble Eskimo" who simply wants to hunt whales in peace like his ancestors. The real truth is much more complex.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
That's completely absurd. None of you read the article, huh? This is about OFF-SHORE drilling, extremely different from the drilling they are doing at Prudhoe Bay. This is the kind of drilling that could severely alter whale migration patterns and yes, it could destroy their subsistence way of life, as a matter of fact.
That's right COULD, as in maybe, might, we don't know. If it were known for certain then your precious Obama wouldn't have issued Shell the permits now would he?

Once again, you are simply posting hysterical accusations based on hyperbole obtained from the internets, rather than based on actual fact or real life experience like the rest of us.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
What paved roads across the tundra ????????? I've never seen one anyplace.

The Inupiat people do not receive any money from the Oil companies !!

I guess I'm stupid because I am not aware of any of these statements as being factual. That's Ok !!

I am learning !!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I would have to say no to drilling and mining because everyone can benifit from nature but only a select few will see life changing quantities of cash from such an operation. The problem with all this "development" is only a VERY select few actually benifit in a meaningful way (ie millions of dollars per individual).

Why should someone support something that is not in their best interests. I would be all for drill baby drill if I somehow got a million or more out of the deal, if not why would I support it?
That's not a reason, it's a pathetic, self pittying excuse.

And if you had to pay $10 for a gallon of gas because we couldn't drill for our own resources in our own country, I'd say that would be pretty "life changing".

Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
and what village is that road in or at ??

Not any village in the NSB that I am aware of ..

Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Not sure. Snarf'ed it from Jammin thru Alaska ... Deadhorse? But yeah, not a Native Village. But it is a paved road across the tundra

Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM

468 posts, read 799,785 times
Point Hope has some paved road, right? I swear my husband said there was some when he was there last week.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I'm sorry,Ship, but I find that comment to be patronizing. I know you care, but you are lumping the entire Inupiat people and their culture into one monolithic entity. I have only been here a little over a month, and I can safely say that isn't fair. I am slowly learning, but in doing so, I have learned that it is important to try not to judge through a Western cultural lens.

What I have noticed, is that the influx of western culture and dividends has already changed things a lot up here (based partially on what I have read). I see some families that have found ways to protect their cultural values and are figuring out how to get through rapid changes. I see families that struggle with it. I have also noticed that any culture that goes through rapid changes and an influx of a radically different culture needs to figure it out for themselves. I don't think Inupiats want "white" folks telling them what they need and don't need or how they should feel about their own culture and land. As much as you care, you are caring though a Western cultural lens. I try to sit back and try to understand, but even so, I don't think we can truly ever shed our primary culture.

Back to the topic at hand, Statoil is going to be here on Friday to report on results from a Chukchi Sea health study and I think, seismic study. I am going to the meeting to learn. I am curious about the process and how people feel about it. I am also doing a group project in one of my classes about analyzing offshore oil leases, so that is a bonus.
Would be interesting to have your opinion on what you hear at the meeting!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Point Hope has some paved road, right? I swear my husband said there was some when he was there last week.
As of 2 years ago the only paved road in Point Hope was the 4000 foot airstrip.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
and what village is that road in or at ??

Not any village in the NSB that I am aware of ..
They have a few winter ice roads out of Deadhorse in the winter, some once in awhile to Barrow even, but your right, I never heard of any otherwise.

About the only pavement is on the major runways to keep the jets from sucking rocks. Some may have short paved roads when the asphalt pacers were there, but even dirt/gravel roads on the permafrost is a pain to maintain.

In the Deadhorse area there is some test pavement on the oilfield roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska