Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times

Advertisements

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I think GrandmasCabin is right. He has adopted me. He knows were there is plenty of food, it is nice and warm, and neither I nor my dogs bother him. He is performing a very useful service as far as I am concerned. So it is a win/win for both of us.
I'm glad the little guy has a warm, safe place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,618 times
Quote:
I think GrandmasCabin is right. He has adopted me. He knows were there is plenty of food, it is nice and warm, and neither I nor my dogs bother him. He is performing a very useful service as far as I am concerned. So it is a win/win for both of us.
That is so cool. You are most fortunate to have such a useful and charming visitor.

Has he shown any interest in interacting with you, beyond hanging out there? Clearly he is unafraid, and I am just wondering if he will become "tame" enough to let you pet him.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 PM

249 posts, read 803,304 times
I'm no expert but two questions:

In the latest photos it appears that one of his eyes is closed. Is it injured? or is he just winking?

And, before you decide to keep him (or let him keep you) make sure there is no law against keeping owls. I know for instance that one cannot keep hawks or eagles without certain permission in some states.

Gosh, I love this thread, hope it goes on forever.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,057 times
Awww... Glitch.. he is too adorable.. and he does seem to have adopted you as a friend... too funny about the bedroom. I hope he does keep visiting you and helping you out. How exciting... I love birds and owls are so very special. Good thing your dogs do leave it alone because I would hate for him to get injured... What a great gift you were given

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
That is so cool. You are most fortunate to have such a useful and charming visitor.

Has he shown any interest in interacting with you, beyond hanging out there? Clearly he is unafraid, and I am just wondering if he will become "tame" enough to let you pet him.
I hope not. He should remain wild, and I have avoided any interaction with him. Staying at least 10 feet away from him, if I can, to keep him from stressing out. He apparently did feel comfortable enough last Sunday to give me two of his hoots.

From what I read about boreal owls, it is the males that hoot in order to attract a female. While I kind of like the little guy, I do not want a family of owls living indoors with me. I do not think that will happen however. I expect he will disappear as soon as works his way through my mouse population, or by the time Spring arrives.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
I'm no expert but two questions:

In the latest photos it appears that one of his eyes is closed. Is it injured? or is he just winking?
The night before I took these pictures I heard him bang into my windows a couple of times. I think he may have swollen his left eye almost shut the entire day following. That was just before Thanksgiving.

He has returned twice since Thanksgiving and appears to be fine. Both eyes look normal, he is still catching mice, and more importantly, he is no longer flying into my closed windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
And, before you decide to keep him (or let him keep you) make sure there is no law against keeping owls. I know for instance that one cannot keep hawks or eagles without certain permission in some states.

Gosh, I love this thread, hope it goes on forever.
It is against federal law, not state law. The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (1 6 U.S.C . 703-712) does prohibit keeping an owl (Order Strigiformes) in captivity without a permit.

Quote:
No person shall take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such bird except as may be permitted under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to the provisions of this part and part 13, or as permitted by regulations in this part or part 20 (the hunting regulations).

Source: 50 CFR 21 - Migratory Bird Permits
It also defines "captivity" as meaning:

Quote:
...a live raptor is held in a controlled environment that is intensively manipulated by man for the purpose of producing raptors of selected species, and that has boundaries designed to prevent raptors, eggs or gametes of the selected species from entering or leaving the controlled environment. General characteristics of captivity may include, but are not limited to, artificial housing, waste removal, health care, protection from predators, and artificially supplied food.
I am not interacting with the owl in any way. I did not invite or lure the owl into my home, and I have (repeatedly) offered it another exit from my home which it has taken, only to return later. If the feds wanted to be a prick about it, they could contrive that I was keeping the owl in captivity because I clean up its mess ("waste removal"), and it comes into my house which could be construed as "artificial housing", but none of the rest of the definition applies.

I have not taken, possessed, imported, exported, transported, sold, purchased, bartered, or offered for sale, purchase or barter, any bird (migratory or otherwise), or the parts, nests, or eggs of such bird. But I am absolutely certain the Department of Homeland Security would consider me an Owl Terrorist!

The owl (which I have named "Peppe") is free to come or go as he pleases. He provides a service I truly need, and if I can keep him warm while he catches and feeds on my mice, then it is to the benefit of both of us.

I have no interest in keeping him as a pet. He has shown up a total of six times over the course of the last 40 days. Except on one occasion where Peppe spent five days in my home just before Thanksgiving, he has never stayed longer than 24 hours. He shows up in the evening after 9:00 PM. I go to bed between 10:00 PM and 11:00 PM, and Peppe is gone by the time I get up at 5:00 AM.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Awww... Glitch.. he is too adorable.. and he does seem to have adopted you as a friend... too funny about the bedroom. I hope he does keep visiting you and helping you out. How exciting... I love birds and owls are so very special. Good thing your dogs do leave it alone because I would hate for him to get injured... What a great gift you were given
Blizzard (my female Alaskan Husky) does not even know the owl exists ... yet. She is completely oblivious to his presence. Buddy (my male Boerboel), on the other hand, notices the owl often before I do. He is naturally curious, but would not harm the owl even if he could, and I do not allow him to get close. Blizzard is the one I am concerned about. If she did notice the owl, she would most likely try to kill it if she could. Thankfully Peppe appears smart enough to stay out of everyone's reach. Except when he is making a kill, Peppe never drops below 8 feet in altitude (I have a vaulted ceiling that is 15 feet above the floor at its peak).

I am still waiting for my invitation to Hogwarts.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:

. But I am absolutely certain the Department of Homeland Security would consider me an Owl Terrorist!
I've just notified the DHS and informed them you're harboring a terrorist bird known as Owl Cappone, and I feel extra patriotic for having done so.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I've just notified the DHS and informed them you're harboring a terrorist bird known as Owl Cappone, and I feel extra patriotic for having done so.
LOL! You might have gotten a quicker response if you told them the owl had recently received training in Pakistan and is a member of Owl Qaeda.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
LOL! You might have gotten a quicker response if you told them the owl had recently received training in Pakistan and is a member of Owl Qaeda.
Okay, yours was better. I just did a C&P job and sent it off to the DHS. That place is jam-packed with paranoid freaks, so expect a visit real soon.

Hell, they just might drop a bomb on your home and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska