U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 5,464 times
Default pros and cons to moving to wasilla alaska....

can people tell me some pros and cons to moving to wasilla alaska?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM

3,759 posts, read 1,625,885 times
If I had to assign a point system:

+10 WAY more bang for your buck with housing
+10 Most areas of the valley are quiet (other than the main strip of wasilla)
+10 you can snowmachine or 4 wheel right out of your drive way and are closer to more outdoor activities without the crowds that are in anchorage

-100 THE COMMUTE, it is the most aweful drive I have ever made in my life during rush hour (wonderful drive outside of rush hour). Plus the milage and fuel on your car will offset any money you save on real estate in about 5 years and once your car repairs/replacements, fuel, etc fills in the money you saved on the property you are running a deficit every year so you might as well just bought something close to work in anchorage. Also its 2-3 hours EVERY WORK DAY out of your life that is largely wasted (there are some that will try to make the best of it, but its not true quality or productive time).

If you can get a fat money job in the valley and live in the valley and never come to anchorage other than to go to a few stores once in a while then you have the golden ticket, problem is fat money jobs are far and few between in the valley if they exist at all unless you work on the slope but thats a whole different life style choice (cant do certian things with your wife when your on the slope for 2 weeks so think about that one).

I would love to live and work in the valley but there are no jobs there that pay real money and even if you found one I would be apprehensive about buying something because if you got laid off your odds of finding another fat money job in the valley are slim to none and now you are going to have to sell a house that no one in the valley can afford other than someone willing to commute.

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM

684 posts, read 639,818 times
Need more info. What's your profession? education? familiy situation? worldview? What do you like to do in your free time? What sort of people do you like to spend time with?

Generally speaking, Wasilla is one of my least favorite towns in Alaska (though it's where I'm sitting right now...) since it kinda has the worst aspects of suburban and rural areas, without all the benefits of either. But the Mat-Su region has fantastic outdoor recreation, a relatively mild climate (in between the excessive cold of the interior and excessive dampness of the coast), and is pretty "convenient" in a modern western civilization kinda way.

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM

20,865 posts, read 20,226,754 times
Pros? It's in Alaska.

Cons? It's Wasilla.

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM

684 posts, read 639,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Pros? It's in Alaska.

Cons? It's Wasilla.

Haha, nailed it...

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM

3,759 posts, read 1,625,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Need more info. What's your profession? education? familiy situation? worldview? What do you like to do in your free time? What sort of people do you like to spend time with?

Generally speaking, Wasilla is one of my least favorite towns in Alaska (though it's where I'm sitting right now...) since it kinda has the worst aspects of suburban and rural areas, without all the benefits of either. But the Mat-Su region has fantastic outdoor recreation, a relatively mild climate (in between the excessive cold of the interior and excessive dampness of the coast), and is pretty "convenient" in a modern western civilization kinda way.
If one of your hobbies is driving in dense traffic with idiots then living in the valley would be great. At the end of the day there is no way around dealing with the commuting issue UNLESS you work in the valley. Its like the 300 lb gorilla in the room when any discussion of living in the valley comes up IF you work in anchorage.

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
Yup, terrible commute. Took two and a half hours to get in today, due to a wreck.

Unread 11-01-2011, 12:04 PM

4,988 posts, read 4,900,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
If one of your hobbies is driving in dense traffic with idiots then living in the valley would be great. At the end of the day there is no way around dealing with the commuting issue UNLESS you work in the valley. Its like the 300 lb gorilla in the room when any discussion of living in the valley comes up IF you work in anchorage.
Correct. Just this morning an inbound lane on the Glenn was closed and those commuting in from the Valley were ****ed. Even in summer road conditions, a simple break down or traffic stop on the Glenn can create a backup 5-10 miles long. The behavior exhibited on that highway is truly stupefying. One needs to go to places like the freeways of Southern California to see the equivalent.

And it’s not just the commute into Anchorage either. The traffic in the central portion of Wassilly is truly horrific. It is easily as bad as, or even worse than some of the most congested areas of Anchorage. I am truly disgusted every time I’m driving back from Denali and forced to endure that stretch of the Parks from Houston through Methsilla. I can’t wait to get out and get back to Anchorage - at least in Anchorage their are multiple ways to get around the bad parts if you know how. It reminds me of the drive out of California on I 15 into Vegas. Miles and miles of empty highway then suddenly Bam – you are stopped dead in your tracks by an urban traffic jam.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 11-01-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Unread 11-01-2011, 01:16 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,366,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Correct. Just this morning an inbound lane on the Glenn was closed and those commuting in from the Valley were ****ed. Even in summer road conditions, a simple break down or traffic stop on the Glenn can create a backup 5-10 miles long. The behavior exhibited on that highway is truly stupefying. One needs to go to places like the freeways of Southern California to see the equivalent.

And itís not just the commute into Anchorage either. The traffic in the central portion of Wassilly is truly horrific. It is easily as bad as, or even worse than some of the most congested areas of Anchorage. I am truly disgusted every time Iím driving back from Denali and forced to endure that stretch of the Parks from Houston through Methsilla. I canít wait to get out and get back to Anchorage - at least in Anchorage their are multiple ways to get around the bad parts if you know how. It reminds me of the drive out of California on I 15 into Vegas. Miles and miles of empty highway then suddenly Bam Ė you are stopped dead in your tracks by an urban traffic jam.

I grant you Alaska is full of terrible drivers, however I do recall Los Anchorage had 103 wrecks the first day of snow, and this happens every year. The Valley didn't even have half of those wrecks.

This is real nice, referring to article; An idiot who drives like a maniac and runs people off the road!

Palmer man bragged about his speeding habit, troopers say: Crime | Alaska news at adn.com

Unread 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,366,347 times
Pros

Less murders and crime than Los Anchorage. It's not Bethel.

Cons

Poor commute to Anchorage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska