Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM

811 posts, read 1,310,340 times

Advertisements

I don't know if the Natives/Eskimos in Alaska would go for it, letting TV crews into their world. The money would be great for the villages. Also show the outside world.

Flying Wild Alaska and the Palins Show "Only showing Todd's family in Bristol bay in the village cleaning salmon an making moose sausage"

Has really drawn me and other to the Natives/Eskimos life style and history in Alaska.

*Please keep it civil and NO politics*

Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,996,582 times
Flying Wild does a good job. There's a few Yup'ik pilots to be featured again this season.

No politics? You brought up the dimwit's name...

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Flying Wild does a good job. There's a few Yup'ik pilots to be featured again this season.

No politics? You brought up the dimwit's name...
I enjoy Flying Wild, where they show them putting I believe seal tongue in the ground for a year or so.

Todd's Palin, was born in Dillingham and his mother, "née Kallstrom" a former secretary of the Alaska Federation of Natives, is one-quarter Yup'ik Eskimo.

No Politics, just Natives/Eskimos.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,512,838 times
It would be a neat subject, but I would like to see a lot of the Southeast Natives featured. They were a pretty interesting bunch as well, and the Russian got their butt's kicked by them a lot and were scared to death by them! Where the Western Coast of Alaska and the Aleutions natives were pretty much torn apart by the Russians in the 1800's and as early as the late 1700's.....

There was a lot of bad stupid stuff as well that was self inflicked, but history is still a neat thing, good and bad!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It would be a neat subject, but I would like to see a lot of the Southeast Natives featured. They were a pretty interesting bunch as well, and the Russian got their butt's kicked by them a lot and were scared to death by them! Where the Western Coast of Alaska and the Aleutions natives were pretty much torn apart by the Russians in the 1800's and as early as the late 1700's.....

There was a lot of bad stupid stuff as well that was self inflicked, but history is still a neat thing, good and bad!
I am for a few series of it from all over Alaska. I have read on the
Metlakatla Indian Community, Ketchikan Northwest Native Culture, and now the Native/Eskimo. It is different how they each do there own thing there own way. Just amazing.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM

860 posts, read 2,049,371 times
"Aleutions natives were pretty much torn apart by the Russians in the 1800's and as early as the late 1700's....."

If you think what the Russians did to the Aleuts was bad, you should research what our government did to them during WWII. "When the Wind was a River" is a good example. Sorry, I can't remember the author. That was just a generation ago, their scars still run deep but such a happy,forgiving people just can't carry a grudge.
Our local Tlinget tribe is currently re-building the clan house, carving new totem poles and preserving the old ones. They are hand adzing every beam on every wall of the building with adzes they made by hand. They have Nat. Geo, Bill Gates and the Oprah foundation all interested. It'll be something to watch.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,512,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
"Aleutions natives were pretty much torn apart by the Russians in the 1800's and as early as the late 1700's....."

If you think what the Russians did to the Aleuts was bad, you should research what our government did to them during WWII. "When the Wind was a River" is a good example. Sorry, I can't remember the author. That was just a generation ago, their scars still run deep but such a happy,forgiving people just can't carry a grudge.
Our local Tlinget tribe is currently re-building the clan house, carving new totem poles and preserving the old ones. They are hand adzing every beam on every wall of the building with adzes they made by hand. They have Nat. Geo, Bill Gates and the Oprah foundation all interested. It'll be something to watch.
Well during WWII they didn't treat them right per say, but they were trying to move them out of harms way with limited resources fighting a war on two fronts. If the Japanese had got to them first they would have been taken to Japan as slave labor and more than likely none would have survived.

Neither solution was great, but they were at least on their own and free of sorts, in Japan they would have had zero choices. The Indians of Southeast did very well and the US Government figured the Aleuts would do the same, they didn't realize that their culture and knowledge base was foreign to Southeast and they had no defense of or had seen bears before. Then there was illness that wasn't looked into as well, they were just basically dropped off at an old cannery to fend for themselves in what amounted to a foreign planet.

It was sad, but considering the world at War, the times were hard for all involved, some 50,000,000 people died and untold millions were crippled, lost homes and in some cases their countries. So for the few hundred Aleuts that were moved was a game changer, but I don't think it was as bad as others fared out in the world, but was still not good. When you put it as a story by itself it was a tragedy of epic scale, but when you look at it in the world at war, it isn't a footnote, which is sad but factual.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:37 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,677,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post

I wish the would reprint "When the Wind was a River"...can't afford a copy! yikes.....Snow falling on Cedars by David Guterson is a great story about this time also.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:46 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,757,975 times
I wish the would reprint ?? YOU CAN'T AFFORD A BOOK ??

No wonder you don't take the time to read properly

Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,677,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I wish the would reprint ?? YOU CAN'T AFFORD A BOOK ??

No wonder you don't take the time to read properly
lame...yes right now I can not afford the luxury of buying a book over $30!...so just send me the money and I will gladly buy it...stop the also lame thing of telling people they can't read..you who dug up an old thread 2 yrs old to take a swipe at another poster who catches and calls you on your crap!

oh better yet...buy the book and have it sent to me seeing you have so much money!
http://www.amazon.com/When-Wind-Was-.../dp/0295974036
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska