Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 PM

355 posts, read 508,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
amen amen....let me tell you, i am a college educated professional with almost 20 years in my career. i know MANY E5's who are driving much more expensive trucks than me, have those jumbo sized plasma tv's, and own nice homes, boats etc. people just do not realize how well these folks are doing. not having to pay for health insurance, dental insurance, or housing, and getting substinence allowance, and not paying for ANYTHING medical or dental-not even copays, and getting military discounts every which way you look, trust me, they aint hurtin'. and if they are, it definitely is THEIR fault. the military is the best welfare system you could ever be a recipient of.
That may be true but for many of the families of KIA/MIA/POW that money isnt worth what they lost. But i agree many of the higher ups get so many kickbacks that the money they save per year is more than the poverty line! Many things should be changed, without touching survivor benefits (wich isnt much anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Some of your have to take into consideration that military member work long hours, and don't get paid over-time. During exercises they train or work 12-hour shifts for a week or longer depending on the type of exercise. Back in the early '90s when I retired from the military I was working around 60 hours per week.

The best, by average, are State Jobs. In fact, a lot of State workers don't pay S.S. taxes. This money goes straight into retirement accounts and market investments. Also, the State pays for most of the cost of health insurance, and pays a portion of the PERS system. Not only that, but State workers by average accrue more leave time than military members, get more paid-for days off (holidays), and get paid for every for over-time hour.

By the way, while active military members don't have to pay for healthcare, they do have to pay for the care of their dependents. While non-military members receive care from the best doctors around, not so active military members. Military healthcare is what we will receive under Obamacare. Well, by "we" I am not including members of Congress and other government officials, since these will never fall under Obamacare.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-06-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM

355 posts, read 508,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Some of your have to take into consideration that military member work long hours, and don't get pid over-time. During exercises they train or work 12-hour shifts for a week or longer depending on the type of exercise. Back in the early '90s when I retired from the military I was working around 60 hours per week.

The best, by average, are State Jobs. In far, a lot of State workers don't pay S.S. taxes. This money goes straight into retirement accounts and market investments. Also, the State pays for most of the cost of health insurance.

By the way, while active military members don't have to pay for healthcare, they do have to pay for the care of their dependents.
This is true and unfair in many ways. There is a form of overtime pay, deployment bonuses. However as i said before that money means near nothing to their survivors.

Dont get me wrong i think service men and women deserve our (the american publics) respect and admiration, but there are ways that they (the proverbial they) can change the workings of the pay structure and bonuses/benefits to benefit all who serve, not just higher ups, and those they support. Dont ask me what those changes are, all i know is that strictly speaking something needs to be done to cut total government expenditures that does not compromise the integrity of our defense.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
yes durnig deployments or exercises, but when not, they work MUCH less than their civilian counterparts. and in certain MOS's, i can tell you that they work way under 40 hours a week. the military is VERY different than even 7 years ago...its amazing the changes that i have seen.

Quote:
Some of your have to take into consideration that military member work long hours, and don't get paid over-time. During exercises they train or work 12-hour shifts for a week or longer depending on the type of exercise. Back in the early '90s when I retired from the military I was working around 60 hours per week.

The best, by average, are State Jobs. In fact, a lot of State workers don't pay S.S. taxes. This money goes straight into retirement accounts and market investments. Also, the State pays for most of the cost of health insurance, and pays a portion of the PERS system. Not only that, but State workers by average accrue more leave time than military members, get more paid-for days off (holidays), and get paid for every for over-time hour.

By the way, while active military members don't have to pay for healthcare, they do have to pay for the care of their dependents. While non-military members receive care from the best doctors around, not so active military members. Military healthcare is what we will receive under Obamacare. Well, by "we" I am not including members of Congress and other government officials, since these will never fall under Obamacare.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
if military healthcare is what we will receive under Obama-care, then i as a conservative right-wing Republican, will find one reason to like Obama. because military healthcare is the BEST in the world. hands down. and believe me, i know...first hand...and all my friends and coworkers would agree with that. if people are looking at military healthcare as substandard, then they must be looking at past experiences, not present perhaps?

and regarding paying for dependents, only retirees have to pay for their dependents for tricare. the only money that active members have to pay for their dependents is the dental and that is a very very small amount. max $100 a year if that even.

Quote:

Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 AM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
if military healthcare is what we will receive under Obama-care, then i as a conservative right-wing Republican, will find one reason to like Obama. because military healthcare is the BEST in the world. hands down.
Under the "Tea Party, white raciest, conservative, right-wing, Republican,
African-American, President Cain" he will most likely flush Obama-care down the toilet, just like they did the Assault weapon ban.

Many veterans I know say the VA hospitals are nothing like the regular hospital.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
if military healthcare is what we will receive under Obama-care, then i as a conservative right-wing Republican, will find one reason to like Obama. because military healthcare is the BEST in the world.
Sounds good, but you haven't been in the military have you?

The reason the military health care sounds great is the same reason Obama Care sounds great.... The "PR".

The private programs funded by Public support like Wounded Warrors and other fine privately funded org's are doing what the Government should be doing to help the troops.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM

178 posts, read 250,607 times
Quote:
if military healthcare is what we will receive under Obama-care, then i as a conservative right-wing Republican, will find one reason to like Obama. because military healthcare is the BEST in the world. hands down. and believe me, i know...first hand...and all my friends and coworkers would agree with that. if people are looking at military healthcare as substandard, then they must be looking at past experiences, not present perhaps?

and regarding paying for dependents, only retirees have to pay for their dependents for tricare. the only money that active members have to pay for their dependents is the dental and that is a very very small amount. max $100 a year if that even.

Are you serious? The co pay for the dental may be small, but it doesn't cover a whole heck of a lot. Last time I checked . . . MAX benefit of $2500/year and then it comes completely out of your pocket. Plus cleanings may be free . . But you pay out of pocket for 50% to 80% of all other services; and that is 50%-80% of "allowable costs". Plus if you want dental work above the former East German standards, any cost above that minimal level of care comes directly out of your pocket.

As to the health care . . . Managed military health care came damn close to killing both me and my son during childbirth.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM

178 posts, read 250,607 times
Quote:
yes durnig deployments or exercises, but when not, they work MUCH less than their civilian counterparts. and in certain MOS's, i can tell you that they work way under 40 hours a week. the military is VERY different than even 7 years ago...its amazing the changes that i have seen.

Really? I dare you to tell that to my son (who is 10 y/o) that has spent fewer than 3 years in the same country as his father. Who just deployed . . . again.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
[quote=NOTAM;21593843]amen amen....let me tell you, i am a college educated professional with almost 20 years in my career. i know MANY E5's who are driving much more expensive trucks than me, have those jumbo sized plasma tv's, and own nice homes, boats etc. people just do not realize how well these folks are doing. not having to pay for health insurance, dental insurance, or housing, and getting substinence allowance, and not paying for ANYTHING medical or dental-not even copays, and getting military discounts every which way you look, trust me, they aint hurtin'. and if they are, it definitely is THEIR fault. the military is the best welfare system you could ever be a recipient of.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to say that to the soldiers fighting on the front lines ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska