Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

18 posts, read 52,157 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm moving up in a month and have been mulling over whether to move my own junk up, or do something like ABF U-Pack. I've culled all the uneeded things twice already, and plan to do so once again before I pack up.

If I had a question, it'd be this:

Anyone cross the Canadian border here lately with household goods in transit to Alaska? If so, what (if any) did they (the Canadians) want in the way of paperwork for your HH goods?

The Canadian Customs website mentions forms required for HH goods in transit through Canada, but I've also found on the website where nothing in the way of paperwork is required for transporting HH goods through Canada to Alaska.

Thanks!

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 AM

13 posts, read 104,607 times
We recently took an 18' utility trailer across the border full of household goods. We were required to go into the immigration office - but it may've been because they wanted to verify the identity of our children. We didn't need any paperwork for our household goods though I was told that if we were to bring hunting rifles we would need to fill out an application, pay a fee and declare them to customs before entering Canada. No handguns are allowed across. They did not search our utility trailer, though I was told that they could if they wanted to. All in all, seemed to be pretty simple & very busy. If I could do it over though, I would've had our household goods delivered via barge from Seattle or Bellingham instead. It is a long drive through B.C. to be hauling a load. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks AF! Got the paperwork done on the rifles for the crossing and the pistols I've shipped already.

Wasn't sure about the HH goods though. There's a spot on the Canadian Custom website that says HH goods need to be declared, and that declaration is in triplicate and requires descriptions of items, serial #'s, etc... That section is kind of vague as to whether it's talking about immigrants to Canada with HH goods, or if it's talking about in transit HH goods crossing through Canada. I sure wasn't wanting to have to fill that declaration out on my stuff. What a pain that would have been (considering it's pretty much all packed now).

I'm waiting to hear back from ABF U Pack on a quote to move my stuff. If the price is right, I'm not messing with it.

Thank you again AF for the info, I appreciate it.

Ken

Last edited by upstream; 08-27-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,608 times
When I moved I had practically no HH goods (garage sale of the century), but Canadian gun laws is the reason I took the ferry.
The ferry doesn't care what you got, or how many,as long as they are all unloaded and in locked cases (soft cases with a zip-tie securing the zipper counts as a locked case).
Hint: even tho you're on the ferry, in theory you've never left the U.S. On cast-off the ferry is officialy part of the state of Alaska.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Danny, after seeing your post, I went to the AK marine highway website. The shipping calculator quoted me $4039.00 from Bellingham to Whittier for truck, trailer, me and my chocolate lab for the winter rate.

I'd checked before (last winter), but don't remember it being that much.

Ken

Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM

I went and double-checked their web-site, and came up with 2531.00 if it was just me and my vehicle, from Bellingham to Whittier. You must have a larger truck, w/trailer, etc.
BUT, I am amazed it is running thru Oct. Usually Oct 1 was the cut-off, now it is Oct 31st.
Best of luck to you on which ever method you choose.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
I went and double-checked their web-site, and came up with 2531.00 if it was just me and my vehicle, from Bellingham to Whittier. You must have a larger truck, w/trailer, etc.
BUT, I am amazed it is running thru Oct. Usually Oct 1 was the cut-off, now it is Oct 31st.
Danny, Don't the ferry have seasonal rates? I distinctly remember them having preseason which were less. I don't recall anything about postseason. The problem w/a truck and trailer is they charge by the foot and that hitch alone is worth quite a few bucks. When I've used the Juneau ferry, if I am travelling alone, I separate my rv from my car, take the hitch off. Then I persuade someone who is not towing, but have a wife along, to drive my car on board. Of course, it may be a little hard to separate truck and trailer

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 08-27-2007 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
I think the overall length (truck & trailer) is what's driving the quote up that I'm getting.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM

Ramfeb, yes they have "pre-season & post-season" rate and it basically boils down to "pay for the car and you ride free". I looked at the one way price for 1 person and 1 car ticket from Juneau to Whittier and it was 508.00.
Usually these stay booked way in advance, but this year they appear available, for now at least.
I believe pre-season is Feb and post-season is Oct. A couple of weeks may overlap but that's the gist of it for trans-gulf.
Bellingham to Juneau-Haines is year round tho.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,991 times
Just curious upstream. Did you ever made it to AK? If so, how did you ended up moving your belongings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska