U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
1,976 posts, read 1,855,143 times
Reputation: 1139
IL2AK: That was a good post, and I agree with you on some of your points (not all), but I wasn't talking about an energy alternative to oil, I was talking about an economic alternative to oil for the state of Alaska. That way, if something happens to the oil, hopefully the state won't be totally screwed.

Wildchild: I actually couldn't agree more with your premise. I have been saying for several years that we have a major population problem that is only getting worse. Everyone wants to have their own kid when there are so many who need adoption. This planet can't even sustain the numbers we have now, not to mention if the number grows exponentially like it has been. That's really the root of these energy problems: there are too many people. And the thing is, we don't let natural selection do its job. As cruel as it sounds, I read a compelling case that basically says feeding all these starving folks in other countries is really not doing them any favors, and it's probably hurting them. Because we can only keep that up for so long, and when we can't, they're really SOL. Also, there is a theory that if you produce enough food for X amount of people, the world's population will necessarily grow to X. And that will be the case regardless of how high the numbers get, IMO.

Moose: I don't think we're quite so far apart as you think. I do not like President Obama's policies or what they have done. I didn't even vote for him. That said, I don't like any of the Republican candidates either, because they are the same as Obama, just with different catch-phrases and agendas. The thing all those politicians have in common is that they are not concerned with representing their constituents, they are concerned with their own political and economic success. Warren Buffett put out a really good piece on how to fix Congress and the deficit, you should read it. If we can eliminate the concept of "career politicians", we will all be better off.

And Marty, I think I disagree with you on that one. I mean, you said it yourself: there is enough for at least 140 years. That's one person's opinion, but it holds true to the concept that oil is finite, and it will eventually run out. I don't necessarily disagree with your last statement, but here's the problem I see with that: nobody will have that much motivation to come up with new energy sources when we already have oil, because that would hurt their bottom line. Research costs money, and until these companies have a good, solid incentive to put serious money into developing new sources of energy. Although I have heard they're working on it, but I've gotten to where I have trouble trusting these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Texas
573 posts, read 492,577 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
See, I've always found that the taxes in AK were very reasonable, only because I compare them to where I'm at in MI. Our mill rate is at an astounding 22 mills. And to think this area is near to bottom of the tax rate.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ta...s_353623_7.pdf
Just chiming in on the Tx tax rates. The county I lived in before I moved where I live now is home to a commercial property I still own. Texas taxes are figured slightly different than the "mill rate" most of you are familiar with, but the effective mill rate on my property is an astounding 33 mills

Residential mill rates are 21.37 mills for school and county, then add on hospital district, Farm Market Road, Water district, and city taxes.

That county also charges property tax for vehicles. If you own a business, you pay property taxes on inventory, furniture and fixtures as well.

Don't forget that most of Texas has a 8.25% sales tax as well.

We don't have an income tax, but that is not far in the future. Like most other states, the state gov is hungry for more money....

All of the sudden, AK looks cheaper than I thought....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 4,671,888 times
Reputation: 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
ffs

It's not the conservatives who are relieving their bowels in Zucchini Park.
I'll bet 9 9 9 Pizza Man did exactly that while listening to yet another woman accuse him of trying to stimulate her stimulus.

The Hermanator just might surpass Bubba Bill in the number of women who come forward and say: he tried to get me to hand-toss his junk while singing when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
 
811 posts, read 571,572 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I'll bet 9 9 9 Pizza Man did exactly that while listening to yet another woman accuse him of trying to stimulate her stimulus.

The Hermanator just might surpass Bubba Bill in the number of women who come forward and say: he tried to get me to hand-toss his junk while singing when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...
I perfer the 9 9 9 plan much better than the 666 plan were on now.

Well Cain knows how to run a business an make money. He would be a better choice over what we have now.

It will be great day in history when the racist Tea Party votes Mr. 9 9 9 Hermanator Black Cain into office.

God Bless America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Palmer
2,490 posts, read 3,860,861 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
And Marty, I think I disagree with you on that one. I mean, you said it yourself: there is enough for at least 140 years. That's one person's opinion, but it holds true to the concept that oil is finite, and it will eventually run out. I don't necessarily disagree with your last statement, but here's the problem I see with that: nobody will have that much motivation to come up with new energy sources when we already have oil, because that would hurt their bottom line. Research costs money, and until these companies have a good, solid incentive to put serious money into developing new sources of energy. Although I have heard they're working on it, but I've gotten to where I have trouble trusting these folks.
.
I'm not saying there is 140 years worth of oil but that some people think there is. I do think there is a lot more oil than the peak oil people think.

On the other hand, there is ALWAYS incentive to come up with more efficient energy. We aren't going to get it from the oil companies of course but people are constantly thinking and experimenting.

I believe that we will come up with cheaper energy that will put the oil companies out of business or cause them to change their business...eventually. I'm all for using solar, wind, tide, and anything else...IF its more efficient. I'm against artificially incentivising alternative energy. It needs to make sense.

Hey...I'm the guy trying to figure out how to heat a small cabin in Alaska with a compost pile of all things. :-) Not going to work this year...my compost already cooled down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: In a time warp
781 posts, read 803,210 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
ffs

It's not the conservatives who are relieving their bowels in Zucchini Park.

And pointing out that Obama and his Weather Underground administration has set this country on a path toward economic devastation is not "doom and gloom" hyperbole. It is merely stating fact.
I knew it wouldn't be long before Bush's main apologist blamed Obama for Bush's failures. The Bush administration brought the economy to its knees, losing over 700,000 jobs per month on its watch. But you like to gloss over facts, and promulgate your own hysterical ideologies. Alas, carry on with your blithering nonsense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,272 posts, read 7,771,559 times
Reputation: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I'll bet 9 9 9 Pizza Man did exactly that while listening to yet another woman accuse him of trying to stimulate her stimulus.

The Hermanator just might surpass Bubba Bill in the number of women who come forward and say: he tried to get me to hand-toss his junk while singing when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie...
You know, there isn't a person that has lived life that can have those claims thrown about as if they really did that.

What you consider a very nice thing to do by telling a gal she really looks pretty today, can be taken as an insult and get you fired from many companies today. I am guilty of that in the past, and it was meant nothing more than a pleasant complement but those days are gone.

The head of the World Bank was set up by what amounted to a Hooker posing as a maid, they go to parade him around in handcuffs and he resigned and "Then" the story comes out that she has been arrested for prostitution before... Press dropped that like a rock when the truth started to come out.

You don't go to a evening dinner with the CEO of a company to look for a job, you are interviewed at the lower levels, she was there to frame/compromise Cane for something, and we may never know. Twenty+- years is a long time to save a grudge and there is no way to know if it was valid or not, he is guilty because she said so...

Bubba left a stain, and she was pretty detailed about what he did, and he admitted it under oath and was impeached by the house.

Obama has been screwing the country and his followers just smile and say it feels good...

The real downside is that there are women that are truly being abused and it is crap like this that takes the resources away from their plight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
12,920 posts, read 13,885,506 times
Reputation: 8327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
In Alaska the assessments are based on actual market value. It has nothing to do with what you paid for it x number of years ago and very little to do with depreciation other than how much that might change the actual current market value. So if you don't think you could sell your property for $300,000 you might be able to appeal your property tax assessment.

I have served on the appeals board and can tell you that if you have a good case you will win the appeal. But you will actually have to have evidence of what your property is actually worth. Just your opinion or statement that it's worth less will do the deal. You need to show recent comparable sales that show your property is worth less than the tax valuation.
I understand, but my point is as follows: a low mills rate does not mean much if the assessments are hiked up. That's the reason why in some States if a borough assess a property a value that's too high and the property owner can't sell the house at the assessed value, the borough pays the difference to the property owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 5,451,416 times
Reputation: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Our mill rate is at an astounding 22 mills. And to think this area is near to bottom of the tax rate
Good God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 5,451,416 times
Reputation: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Moose: I don't think we're quite so far apart as you think. I do not like President Obama's policies or what they have done. I didn't even vote for him. That said, I don't like any of the Republican candidates either, because they are the same as Obama, just with different catch-phrases and agendas. The thing all those politicians have in common is that they are not concerned with representing their constituents, they are concerned with their own political and economic success. Warren Buffett put out a really good piece on how to fix Congress and the deficit, you should read it. If we can eliminate the concept of "career politicians", we will all be better off.
Herman Cain is not a politician. He is exactly what this country needs at this moment, but you refuse to open your eyes. That's also why the Jackels in the media are trying everything they can to destroy him. He represents a threat to the staus quo of both political party machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top