U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM

811 posts, read 1,012,194 times

Advertisements

You get into hunting, trapping, fishing, snowmachining, skiing, snowboarding, flying, hobbies, etc.?

Hunting, trapping and fishing are the most fun here.
Working on making some custom Ula's, have some antique ones.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,272,823 times
Mushing:
Get up dogs.wmv - YouTube

Giving tours:
http://vimeo.com/21254202

In March, the Ice Park by day:
Ice Park Fun - YouTube

And by night:
Ice slide at night. - YouTube

Go into town to go to the gym so we don't break an ankle:
http://vimeo.com/20463181

Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,575,577 times
I like to curl up with a good book or cook. I've never really enjoyed being cold despite the fact that I was born and raised in Alaska.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,272,823 times
Take pictures of the northern lights, have parties, protest injustices, hunt Easter eggs, go to dinner with friends, shovel snow, try to stay warm.
March is my favorite month. Alaska, The Madness

Work the Yukon Quest.
Yukon Quest 2011! Alaska, The Madness
In one form or another:
Yukon Quest, Adventures in Handling Alaska, The Madness

Toast passed friends from mountain tops.
Toasting on the Tundra Alaska, The Madness

Celebrate a variety of holidays.
7 Years in Tibet? Alaska, The Madness

Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,943,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Take pictures of the northern lights, have parties, protest injustices, hunt Easter eggs, go to dinner with friends, shovel snow, try to stay warm.
March is my favorite month. Alaska, The Madness

Work the Yukon Quest.
Yukon Quest 2011! Alaska, The Madness
In one form or another:
Yukon Quest, Adventures in Handling Alaska, The Madness

Toast passed friends from mountain tops.
Toasting on the Tundra Alaska, The Madness

Celebrate a variety of holidays.
7 Years in Tibet? Alaska, The Madness

Mushing:
Get up dogs.wmv - YouTube

Giving tours:
Sled Dog Rides on Vimeo

In March, the Ice Park by day:
Ice Park Fun - YouTube

And by night:
Ice slide at night. - YouTube

Go into town to go to the gym so we don't break an ankle:
Windy Winter Day in Fairbanks on Vimeo
Yeah, what she said, but add ski flying and snowmachining!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

165 posts, read 478,913 times
Well I couldn't afford a snowmachine so I turned wood bowls, and built furniture. Also hiked, camped and hunted in the winter.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 PM

355 posts, read 399,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Well I couldn't afford a snowmachine so I turned wood bowls, and built furniture. Also hiked, camped and hunted in the winter.
Lay out and sunbathe. Oh winter you say, i look forwars to ice fishing and hunting and snowmachining!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM

2,762 posts, read 4,196,334 times
Shoveling snow, snowmachining, snowboarding, snow skiing, snowshoeing...just about anything to do with snow. Or anything you'd do inside anywhere else. Lots of indoor projects get put off in the summer because you need to do outside stuff then, so we've got plenty of stuff we want to do inside, like painting, some woodworking projects, learning to bake bread, brewing beer, etc.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times
I think I'll get back into building/flying RC planes.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,516,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Shoveling snow, snowmachining, snowboarding, snow skiing, snowshoeing...just about anything to do with snow. Or anything you'd do inside anywhere else. Lots of indoor projects get put off in the summer because you need to do outside stuff then, so we've got plenty of stuff we want to do inside, like painting, some woodworking projects, learning to bake bread, brewing beer, etc.
Slurp! There is no finer aroma than fresh bread coming out of the oven!

All the women in Point Hope and quite a few in Barrow say - I bake the best bread they have ever tasted! When I raised my sons - we couldn't afford to buy bread. not the way four of them went through it. I would bake my own every other day for years. I learned by watching!! One Eskimo woman.

5 lbs of bleached white flour

One sugar container (restrauant type) full of sugar.

combine the two and mix by hand.

Make a hole in the center and add 3/4 cup of vegtable oil

Pour in one cup of water w/ 3 small packs of yeast (dissolved) into oil @ correct temp. 120 - 130 F

Pour in 5 cups of liquid powerded milk @ same temp as yeast.

Knead, mix, pound, that dough until it is all shaped to the right consistency. Use brush and brush inside of big clean mixing bowl with veg oil a very light coat.

brush a coat of oil all over the dough, place into clean well oiled bowl and cover with towel and place up high away from drafts.

Let rise for 2 - 3 hours. Punch it down and knead it a few times. roll into balls and place in muffin pans or fill bread pan or meatloaf pan 1/2 full and let rise.

Preheat oven to 325 - place muffin pans in way back.. 25 minutes remove them and get the butter ready after you brush another final coat of veg oil on the muffins or bread before you remove them from metal container.

40 minutes for bread. When you toast home made bread in your toaster; you will never go back to store bought bread ever again!!

That was the recipie for plain bisquits and bread

INSERT whole container of freeze fried onion flakes into the dry flower and mix.. Whoa momma !!! Them women went nutz !!

One woman; came to my house three times; I followed all your steps carefully she said; It just doesn't taste the same. I looked at her and said.. Eva, your hands are too tiny. Make your husband knead the dough for you... and as he is learning how to do it.. make him mad so he will POUND that dough and mix it throughly.. she laughed and came back a few days later..- it worked she said with a big smile!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska