Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:07 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
OMG !!! Sprinker system in my home ?? wow that is going to be too expensive .......OMG!!

But install them in a different place and no one says a damn thing;

I can't believe the manner in which this is being blown all out of proportion!!

DOH !!! Where are the people protesting this terrible rule ???

they are too busy putting sprinkler systems in to reach every part of their yard so the grass and flowers look all nice.

IN other words it is chump change to install a sprinkler system!!

Now I just know someone is going to post a link to a 4,000,000 sprinkler system to attempt to refute what I am saying.

Do the simple math and make the list !! all you need is some pipe. sprinkler heads and a control panel.. The whole thing is less than 1k Probably a lot less.
My kids have the skills to install something that simple. So don't most of you people on this board that work in construction or other type jobs.

There is nothing hard or terribly expensive about doing this and I for one think it is a great idea. It will greatly reduce the # of homes that burn to the ground!

BUT............."this is just my opinion" !
I work for one of the larger employers in the State, and this institution pays around $45K for a fire sprinkler system on a 2-bedrrom large house. First, the water pipes must be kept insulated to avoid freezing, which means that in a home you can't just run the pipes in the attic, but through relatively warm areas. Yes, some systems are designed with freeze-proof circulating pumps and such, but this makes the system even more expensive.

Regardless, there is a chance that when the sprinkler goes off in the middle of the night, the cold water would wake one up from a state of drunkenness...just enough for one to stumble out the front door Other than that-and perhaps if I were a fire-srpinkler installer, I see no reasons to install fire sprinklers at home.

But I do see use for fire sprinklers at public buildings, school dormitories, and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,738,637 times
Why of course - I am a licensed electrician; and I know lots about plumbing having worked beside plumbers for 40 years. DOH !

What you fail to realize is that # 1 A business is much different than a home owner for code and other aspects of the construction industry two completely entirely different set of RULES !!

Any home owner; is allowed to do anything they want inside their homes with no inspector or inspections allowed or necessary even if that homeowner does the electrical himself.

It is not a very difficult job to install a sprinker system in an already existing home. The same manner to keep the water flowing (warm) is easily accomplished; just by using "heat trace" cable that is used on pipes that sit outside year round in Prudhoe - I've installed miles of that cable on all sorts of pipes. Plumbers do not run heat trace on their pipes - that is the job of an electrician. We put that stuff on Electrical pipes, water pipes and even oil lines.

For the Fairbanks area; The entire Borough - The entire massive complex in Prudhoe bay- and all the different villages in the arctic (over 20 of them) For this huge area - guess how many electrical inspectors the STATE OF ALASKA EMPLOYES ??? the answer is just one.

Prudhoe Bay consists of billions of dollars in equipment and buildings. They are not bound to follow the code. if they were; then we wouldn't have had the 400 million dollar upgrade of code violations in the early 90's to the entire pipeline.

I speak from experience and I do know what I speak of. In any school; if a sprinkler goes off.. it sends a signal to the fire alarm control panel!

That panel then contacts the police & fire depts automatically!!

I apologize for being so utterly stupid !!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
The point most of us are trying to make is that a fire sprinkler system at a private home is not something that should be mandated by a government. Now, if the house belongs to a government, then it can create its own rules for itself.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Yes I did take my meds today (heart medicine(s) - Charlie and a business is so much different than a home.

Thank you for your comments !! And for what it is worth; I am licensed by the State !! I have to pass a code test every year which costs hundreds of $$ just to keep my license current.

Ok
Charlie ?? I was born at night ... But it wasn't last night !!
Better get my waders on it's getting deep, and not from the snow.

Do make fire extinguishers also also? If so is Ivory an option to?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
The people in Kenai need to rise up and start voting. Maybe this is enough to get them out. Anyone on the council that votes for this measure needs to be released from their responsibility.

The Mat-Su recently changed their assembly and are beginning to repeal regulations rather than add new ones. This needs to be done across the state and across the country. Unnecessary regulations are killing private industry.
Along with all the BS the big taxes follow soon after.

I listen to the Dave Stieren Show on AM 750 KFQD out of Anchorage, Alaska.
He is the middle of the road guy and has both sides of the isle on at times, he is the one I heard about this Kenai crap going on.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM

748 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I often wish I knew everything...
Me too. It would make life much easier.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well this is certainly going to add to the cost of building a home in Alaska if it goes thru! anyone heard if this is being discussed in other areas of Alaska as well?

City of Kenai considering sprinklers as part of new building code

Help or harm? City of Kenai considering sprinklers as part of new building code | Peninsula Clarion
Bonnie if this goes through, how do you see it affecting building a home there?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Me too. It would make life much easier.
Well; as a matter of fact: A redfaced foreman once yelled at me in front of the whole crew: Is there anything you don't know ??? Yes I replied; I don't know why you are yelling at me!! (everyone broke out in huge laughter).

When I told the superintendent @ Pump station six; That his firealarm system was wired wrong.. He almost took my head off with his yelling and screaming. We test this system 3 times a day every day for 17 years - who the hell do you think you are ???? My simple diagram had to be faxed to every pump station on the line; for 17 years they had it wired backwards .. FOR SEVENTEEN YEARS; and not one person had the smarts to figure that out ?????????????????????????????????????

I had an incredible education...! It was rammed down my throat from the 3rd grade onward's.l Quite simple actually; I am just a dumb stupid no nothing electrician!!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Ah, The Life Of Brian has nothing on The Life Of Eves....

Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Well it just goes to show you - the talent in this state: 10 pump stations for 17 years ran the same tests - without knowing what was going on ???

Oh Please ! -

All the systems were wired BACKWARDS - in the event of a fire; instead of blowing the air and smoke out of the Personal Living Quarters - It would force the air into the PLQ and feed the fire !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska