U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM

811 posts, read 607,340 times

Advertisements

What Necessities would people need to live in the country or become bush dwellers?

It seems like many folks want to move to Alaska and buy that dream land an build that dream cabin outside of the city. Which is a lot different than doing that in the -48.

You folks who live outside the cities what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,377,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
What Necessities would people need to live in the country or become bush dwellers?

It seems like many folks want to move to Alaska and buy that dream land an build that dream cabin outside of the city. Which is a lot different than doing that in the -48.

You folks who live outside the cities what would you recommend?
What I can tell after 12 months of research and reading from these fine people... LOTS OF MONEY reserves... the right gear/vehicle ... enough water and food... survival experience with someone FROM Alaska, strength, endurance and knowing how to be alone.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 7,268,416 times
I'm not always real good with words so I'll just use a few pictures.

A BIG FUR HAT!!!

SOME SNICKERS CANDY BARS!!

XTRA TUFF BOOTS!!!!!

SAILOR BOY PILOT BREAD!!

XTRA TUFFS FOR SOCIALIZING!!

SOME KINDA OF MEDICINAL BEVERAGE!!

FOOD!!!!!

CABIN!!

GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM

745 posts, read 840,302 times
1. Decide how rustic you want to live. "Does it have running water and road access?" is a fair question when trying to find a place to rent or buy.

2. Move up in summer, when conditions are least challenging, and TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBORS! Everywhere presents different challenges. Where I'm at out Knik River road for example rarely sees a snowplow, but I can get away living there with a 2-wheel drive pickup since the whole access route is quite flat, and sees regular traffic. On the other hand, many "suburban" mountain roads outside Anchorage and Eagle River would be absolutely nuts in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

3. Think up realistic plans for situations that might come up. What do I do when the power goes out? for example. This is a different question at -40 than at +40... A likely solution would be to have a headlamp handy, maybe a propane space heater if you don't have a woodstove (remember, most oil stoves require power to run!). What do I do if the road in is impassable for a few days? Solution: have plenty of general supplies, canned food, dried goods, ect.

Generally speaking, if you're on the maintained road system, and on the power grid, basic precautions similar to what you'd need in the lower 48 will be plenty. Living in the bush, off the maintained road system is a different story. It's been said here many times, but the knowledge required to do that cannot be learned on a message board. If that's your desire, move to one of the small road system towns in the region you're interested in first, and learn what you need to know before wandering off into the bush.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,685,976 times
Stiffnecked has given the BEST. REPLY. EVER.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM

[quote=stiffnecked;21612420]I'm not always real good with words so I'll just use a few pictures.

A BIG FUR HAT!!! Nice with the nice plaid shirt?

SOME SNICKERS CANDY BARS!! Yuck!! Jars of peanut butter.

XTRA TUFF BOOTS!!!!! OK

SAILOR BOY PILOT BREAD!! Yuck!!

XTRA TUFFS FOR SOCIALIZING!! Yuck!!

SOME KINDA OF MEDICINAL BEVERAGE!! Yuck!!

FOOD!!!!! OK....

CABIN!! Awesome!!!!!

GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND!!! You should be banned for posting nasty stuff like this..

Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 7,268,416 times
[quote=wildchild_to;21613188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I'm not always real good with words so I'll just use a few pictures.

GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND!!! You should be banned for posting nasty stuff like this..
As they say "the goods are odd"!!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
1. Decide how rustic you want to live. "Does it have running water and road access?" is a fair question when trying to find a place to rent or buy.

2. Move up in summer, when conditions are least challenging, and TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBORS! Everywhere presents different challenges. Where I'm at out Knik River road for example rarely sees a snowplow, but I can get away living there with a 2-wheel drive pickup since the whole access route is quite flat, and sees regular traffic. On the other hand, many "suburban" mountain roads outside Anchorage and Eagle River would be absolutely nuts in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

3. Think up realistic plans for situations that might come up. What do I do when the power goes out? for example. This is a different question at -40 than at +40... A likely solution would be to have a headlamp handy, maybe a propane space heater if you don't have a woodstove (remember, most oil stoves require power to run!). What do I do if the road in is impassable for a few days? Solution: have plenty of general supplies, canned food, dried goods, ect.

Generally speaking, if you're on the maintained road system, and on the power grid, basic precautions similar to what you'd need in the lower 48 will be plenty. Living in the bush, off the maintained road system is a different story. It's been said here many times, but the knowledge required to do that cannot be learned on a message board. If that's your desire, move to one of the small road system towns in the region you're interested in first, and learn what you need to know before wandering off into the bush.
I would use 1KW solar, 8500 watt gen for tools, etc, Honda Eu2000 watt gen for small stuff, recharge battery bank. Big fan battery power of led lights.

Wood burner/five wood box, with 2 100lbs propane tanks with propane heaters for back up, fire & carbon detectors.

Small gas water pump with hose for water/fire with fire hose attachment, a few stainless water fire extinguishes, fire shelter.

Well, hydro, ram pump for water, depending where the water source was.

Canned good, some, rice, some bean, peanut butter for the fat.

Definitely a portable gas band sawmill.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM

6,271 posts, read 8,065,118 times
Funny how everyone always forgets the real basics....

Toilet Paper....

You can always spot the newbies....

Last edited by starlite9; 11-07-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM

[quote=stiffnecked;21613284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post

As they say "the goods are odd"!!!!
With that hefty thing, no need for a tent. Your plane wouldn't even get off the ground, you would need a chinook for transporting her and her food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska