Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times

Advertisements

Notam, the nice thing about most people in Alaska is that if your car broke down in the middle of nowhere, helpful people would stop to help you and make sure you were safe. Even tourists seem to be helpful-my car broke down 30 miles from the nearest community on the Richardson Highway and Canadian RVers stopped and helped me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I get that a lot online. (Not in person, though ) Apparently I write like a man.
It's not so much that you write like a man, it's that your screen name is unisex and you live in the toolies and I should know better but it was just a bad assumption on my part.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 AM

370 posts, read 882,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Wondering how single females who have relocated to AK deal with AK elements? There is just so much more that can go wrong, due to the weather-house and auto related. So, what if you are not a mechanic, carpenter or electrician? I watch alot of the "reality" shows, and I only imagine that the only ones that can cope with it all are ones like the female truck driver on Ice Road Truckers.
Hi Deer whisperer,

So, I take it by your screen name that you are a hunter?

I'm not yet in AK but, I just really do not "get" your question. What are you trying to ask, because I just don't see why you are isolating people based on sex.

Then again, perhaps you are married, or have a dad, Grand dad, Uncle or brother and people who hold your hand while you start your car and otherwise pamper you? No? Me either, never have.

Jen

Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
yeah, sorry..i know it came across as ignorant. i know there are women who are electricians, truck drivers, plumbers, mechanics...but i guess i should have clarified, the ones who aint any of the above....
and yes, pretty standard around the world however, Alaska is one tough State....lots more to deal with, esp if you are not accustomed to severe winter weather conditions
Actually, there are several states that have similar, if not worse, weather than Alaska. The problem is that television and movies have always shown Alaska in a condescending and biased way. For example, they almost always show blizzards....very few shows or movies show Alaska during the summer. I have been to rural and urban Texas many times, from what I have seen, traditional male/female roles are valued-at least from the initial impression to an outsider. Nothing wrong with that as long as no one calls me "little lady". The people I met there were very friendly and seemed different to me but I liked the open kindness, especially in the country.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
yes i hunt and fish.

no, i dont have a husband or even a family or kids. thats why i hesitate to move to AK on my own.
here in rural small town Texas everyone knows everyone and you are never left stranded. folks are down home friendly. i am starting to think Ak may be just as!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi Deer whisperer,

So, I take it by your screen name that you are a hunter?

I'm not yet in AK but, I just really do not "get" your question. What are you trying to ask, because I just don't see why you are isolating people based on sex.

Then again, perhaps you are married, or have a dad, Grand dad, Uncle or brother and people who hold your hand while you start your car and otherwise pamper you? No? Me either, never have.

Jen

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
yes i hunt and fish.

no, i dont have a husband or even a family or kids. thats why i hesitate to move to AK on my own.
here in rural small town Texas everyone knows everyone and you are never left stranded. folks are down home friendly. i am starting to think Ak may be just as!
Well Notam... I do understand the hesitation.. things seem to be easier (monitary wise) with a duel income and the cost of things in Alaska.. of course more expense but all in all easier... I've had a duel income for 22 years and now on my own.. I am definitely relocating and know that if I can keep my costs low here I can do it the same there...

many differences (thank god!!) in Alaska but with help from others, great advice and using my brain.. I will be alright. Challenging yes indeed... ahh but after all isn't that what great adventures are all about?

I could sit back and rock in that rocking chair on my porch and watch the world pass me by or "Live Life" to its fullest and explore. I haven't found one person on CD that hasn't tried to help and give a reality check to those who only ask...

Enjoy your Wednesday... hope everyone is dug out from the storm... snow is hitting here today... first snow idgit alert!! LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 AM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
all i can say is that "Texas tough" dont know tough compared to "Alaska tough", thats for dang sure.
and i always thought "Everything is bigger and better in Texas", until I had my first visit this year to Alaska. Yall definitely got one on us.
Just look at Lisa from ice road truckers, see was born in Michigan. She is a Small lady but tough as nails. If you have a strong will and strong mind and confidence you will be able to do it no problem.

I look back at my granddaddy who was born and raised in a tent in Northern Ontario back in the day. He chose to move out of the bush and try the small town life, he did very well. He moved to Detroit and climbed the ladder of success here. He was among one of the original organizers of the birth of the union. He sat on the board till he passed away in his 90's. He has taught me the sky is the limit, how hight do you want to climb. God Bless hi.
From being born and raised in the bush to the starting of the Unionized labor.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
yes i hunt and fish.

Just look at a long vacation and if you really like it stay, if not move back south. You will never know till you try it. If you don't do it you will be kicking yourself in the butt later. I coulda of shoulda deals.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Just look at Lisa from ice road truckers, see was born in Michigan. She is a Small lady but tough as nails.
Ariel Tweto showed more moxie on her visit to the show Wipeout than Lisa ever has, or ever will. She's a Reality Show creation.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Ariel Tweto showed more moxie on her visit to the show Wipeout than Lisa ever has, or ever will. She's a Reality Show creation.
I used Lisa as her name was brought before by the OP.
Ariel and Lisa shows seem to be more real and no big hype drama in their shows.
Lisa is very active in motocross riding, horse riding, skydiving, hang gliding, snowboarding.

Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Trucker opened the reality TV show world for Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska