Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

Wondering how single females who have relocated to AK deal with AK elements? There is just so much more that can go wrong, due to the weather-house and auto related. So, what if you are not a mechanic, carpenter or electrician? I watch alot of the "reality" shows, and I only imagine that the only ones that can cope with it all are ones like the female truck driver on Ice Road Truckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
There are plenty of men who aren't mechanics, carpenters or electricians, so I'm not sure why this only applies to single females. But whatever.

I can fix quite a bit of everyday stuff myself, because despite having two x chromosomes, I am not an idiot nor do I lack opposable thumbs. If I cannot fix something myself, I call a repair guy or a friend who knows what they're doing. So basically the same as in the lower 48, but while wearing boots.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Yes I'm with you Frostnip... I learn so much more fixing and repairing myself... amazing how that works... I have the internet research and then call in the expert if all else fails (like a cracked toilet tank) yikes had a rainforest with all the water.. Many times just get great advice from friends. Doing things/ repairing things my ex just didn't do because he didn't know how.. doesn't stop me and it is looking mighty fine now... just great satisfaction to just "do it yourself".. mechanic I am not.. that's where the expert comes in handy LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM

178 posts, read 250,761 times
What frostnip and naturesdream said. Just like everyone else deals with it. I do what I can, and rely upon friends and professionals for the rest.

And I do it while still managing to be a girly girl.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

157 posts, read 240,441 times
My single friend gave her married, male neighbor her snowblower. He now clears her driveway as well as his own.

For anything else, she calls a repairman.

I have a single neighbor across the street. I see her take care of most things herself, or else there is a repair truck in the driveway.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM

811 posts, read 1,317,709 times
You put your mind to it, you will be amazed how much you can do. Just like Lisa on Ice Road Truckers, you learn as you go. Don't be afraid of making a mistake that is how most people learn. If it is a very hard or dangerous job, hire a contractor. If you need some help at times check out youtube, net, many companies have there manuals in PDF on the net.

Check around town, some have classes for women and seminars for the basic fix it..

Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
You put your mind to it, you will be amazed how much you can do. Just like Lisa on Ice Road Truckers, you learn as you go. Don't be afraid of making a mistake that is how most people learn. If it is a very hard or dangerous job, hire a contractor. If you need some help at times check out youtube, net, many companies have there manuals in PDF on the net.

Check around town, some have classes for women and seminars for the basic fix it..
That is the ONLY WAY everyone learns!!

Learning how to recognize the mistake and correct it is a SKILL.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
WOW the ignorance of Texans... That is just like saying that only females can't fix their own cars plumbing or electrical. Chances are if you live in the bush alone then you don't have to worry about plumbing or electrical. If not then like stated you call the repair person or a friend. If it's a car then you have it towed to a shop or a friend.

I would have thought that was pretty much the standard throughout the world.

AK twice the size of Texas since 1849!!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
I'm heading to Texas for a trip in a few weeks. I'll report back on whether the women there are in fact retarded.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Wondering how single females who have relocated to AK deal with AK elements? There is just so much more that can go wrong, due to the weather-house and auto related. So, what if you are not a mechanic, carpenter or electrician? I watch alot of the "reality" shows, and I only imagine that the only ones that can cope with it all are ones like the female truck driver on Ice Road Truckers.
So you watch a lot of "reality shows" and therefore think that the women in Alaska must be like the ones on TV.

I'm surprised that you haven't managed to learn from reading this board yet that the reality shows you watch aren't quite so real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska