Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,019 times

Advertisements

I'm fascinated, as extreme weather has intrigued me since childhood, but ultimately glad to be in Anchorage and out of the path of this one. My little place isn't outfitted for that kind of weather, and neither am I!

I hope everyone is keeping safe.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The engineer in Kotz Dave when I lived there extolled the virtues of the 3 generators next to the Maniilaq Hospital. Each one was about 30 yds x 15 yds and one of them he said could run the town. Pretty impressive.

I haven't worked on those. I've worked in the Power house in Kotz and I had two months working on the new ones in Barrow when they were installed in 1996.

The power plant in Point Hope has 3 huge diesel generators; power failures are all too common in that village @ any part of the day or night.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
... Coastal Flood Warning remains in effect until midnight akst
tonight...

A coastal Flood Warning remains in effect until midnight akst
tonight.

* Location... the entire Kuskokwim Delta coast.

* Coastal flooding... expect water levels to reach 3 to 4 feet
above maximum astronomical tide.

* Timing... storm surge will be at its highest between 11 am and 4
PM today... and between 9 PM and midnight tonight.

* Impacts... property close to the coast will be in danger of
flooding.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A coastal Flood Warning means that flooding is occurring or
imminent. Coastal residents in the warned area should be alert
for rising water... and take appropriate action to protect life
and property.

Here's a shot of Scammon Bay before the flood, and after the flood.

They moved the boats there onto the dock road.

After the flood.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There is no lose of it. The shorefast sea ice just hasn't frozen yet....
?

Here's what Bryan Fisher, chief of operations for the Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management said

"Air traffic will not be flying in the weather that we're expecting in the next 24 to 48 hours," he said. Posing an additional threat is the lack of sea ice off northwestern Alaska.

"The last time a storm of a similar magnitude was sent in the same northward direction was 1974, but the sea surface was much more frozen then"

"History tells that the sea ice helps subdue the storm surge,"

"With no sea ice there, we could see the full brunt of that 6- to 9-foot storm surge."

"Arctic sea ice this year reached the second-lowest coverage since satellite records began in 1979, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado."

"Forty years ago, a big storm like this would come through and the sea ice would act as sort of a buffer," said Mark Serreze, director of the Snow and Ice Data Center."

"The Bering Sea has and always will have these strong storms. What is different now is their potential destructiveness as you lose the sea ice cover," he added."

Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
?

Here's what Bryan Fisher, chief of operations for the Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management said

"Air traffic will not be flying in the weather that we're expecting in the next 24 to 48 hours," he said. Posing an additional threat is the lack of sea ice off northwestern Alaska.

"The last time a storm of a similar magnitude was sent in the same northward direction was 1974, but the sea surface was much more frozen then"

"History tells that the sea ice helps subdue the storm surge,"

"With no sea ice there, we could see the full brunt of that 6- to 9-foot storm surge."

"Arctic sea ice this year reached the second-lowest coverage since satellite records began in 1979, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado."

"Forty years ago, a big storm like this would come through and the sea ice would act as sort of a buffer," said Mark Serreze, director of the Snow and Ice Data Center."

"The Bering Sea has and always will have these strong storms. What is different now is their potential destructiveness as you lose the sea ice cover," he added."

It's not my fault he said all that. It's darn sure not what I would have said if they called and talked to me.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM

I concur; its rare that is solid & land fast this early

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Wait... you concur about what? Are you saying that the ocean hasn't been freezing up later in recent years than it used to? If so, I've got a bunch of scientists who would like to tell you otherwise. But of course, those links wouldn't mean anything (especially to Stiff) unless they were posted by someone who had actually been to Alaska! But in all seriousness, plenty of people, from whaling captains in the Arctic to biologists and other scientists in the Arctic, have said the same stuff about the ocean freezing later.

Someone remarked on that at some point I believe, how Alaska has so many climate change deniers and yet they are the ones experiencing it more than anyone.

And wow, what a huge, drastic change in Scammon. Those videos are incredible too. Really impressive storm.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Wait... you concur about what? Are you saying that the ocean hasn't been freezing up later in recent years than it used to? If so, I've got a bunch of scientists who would like to tell you otherwise. But of course, those links wouldn't mean anything (especially to Stiff) unless they were posted by someone who had actually been to Alaska! But in all seriousness, plenty of people, from whaling captains in the Arctic to biologists and other scientists in the Arctic, have said the same stuff about the ocean freezing later.

Someone remarked on that at some point I believe, how Alaska has so many climate change deniers and yet they are the ones experiencing it more than anyone.
Once again you have zero clue what you're talking about. Do you even have any idea what "shorefast ice" even is????????????????????????

Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

And wow, what a huge, drastic change in Scammon. Those videos are incredible too. Really impressive storm.
I am saying, it is too early in the year for the ice to freeze solid and become landfast !! I thought I made myself clear on that, Yeah... its been freezing later in the year than it did 20 years ago.. I'm sorry I am so far off base on this.... WoW ! Your reading skills sure need no mention what so ever. I will have to learn to explain it easier .. (somehow). Wow again I apologize.

Last edited by SityData; 11-09-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
November 2011 Blizzard Bethel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska