Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,819,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
I did not mean to imply that Alaskans were anti-social, just more interesting. I think most of the people that move to Alaska are the kind of people who want more than just growing up in their home town, marrying their high-school sweet-heart, and working at the same 9 to 5 job for 30 years. Alaskans want to experience what life has to offer in all its glory, and they are not afraid to take risks.
This is the thing I picked up on from this forum quite early on, and I would say it's probably the single biggest reason I plan to move to Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,855,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I did not mean to imply that Alaskans were anti-social, just more interesting. I think most of the people that move to Alaska are the kind of people who want more than just growing up in their home town, marrying their high-school sweet-heart, and working at the same 9 to 5 job for 30 years. Alaskans want to experience what life has to offer in all its glory, and they are not afraid to take risks.
Glitch.. I've put myself in a "cubicle" kind of world for SO long for many reasons.. I've never felt complete and never could put my finger on it... a dramatic life change put me in a position to review my life and then a "chance" meeting and friendship put me in Alaska for almost a month.. Hard to explain the "feeling" and the need for Alaska (like Notam describes).. I'm not one to do anything on a "half cocked" whim... Yes there are special personalities that are drawn to Alaska.. that is one of the reasons I like it. Oh there are the good with the bad like any place else.. I was born at night but not last night LOL

I have my eyes wide open with the challenges I will face being a single income, female and know that if I don't do it now... I never will. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, blistered and work any type of job to get my heating bill paid and live the rest of my days where I feel I am meant to be... crazy hey??? just loving it

Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 AM

837 posts, read 1,216,877 times
I agree with the OP 100% -- you forum regulars here are not only entertaining, but perhaps also one of the most, if not the most, informative group on the City Data site

The only AK I know is through TV shows. Could I see myself ever living there? I love the idea because I'm always up for a challenge, but realistically I know I'd have to either live in or very near a populated area. More power to those who can live and thrive in the bush. I don't think I could. I blame my northeast corridor mentality

Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 AM

457 posts, read 602,503 times
There are a lot of people that come up here because they want to get as far away from something or someone as possible and still live in the US. There are also a lot of people that are "running from the law" in AK. I think that there is a lot of people that come up here that want to live the subsistance life, but I am not sure how long they stay.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 PM

26,480 posts, read 36,312,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Okay you guys, I've been reading this forum for a couple of years and I have no idea why I am addicted to it but I am. I rarely post here because I've never been to Alaska. It's the only state I have never visited or lived in.

Having said that, I've been watching the TV show Tougher in Alaska today and I do realize that many, many things are tougher in Alaska. Still, I think that is part of the Alaskan lure.

Alaska Coast Guard is also a really fine show. I am oriented toward the military and the show appeals to my love of that genre.

I have to say that I have never run into such a wide variety of personalities as I have found in this forum. Very few of you hold back and it results in skirmishes that are hysterical. Truly, there is only one person I would like to slap in the forum and I'm not a violent person. I've never hit anyone in my life. That person drives me nuts.

So, thanks for the entertainment (and education) in the Alaska forum. Y'all should have your own show on television. It would be bloody but still good.

One personality type you rarely, if ever, find outside of the populated areas of Alaska is the scourge known as the urban liberal.

My community in Oregon has been overrun by this type. They "play" at having outdoor lifestyles. They got a bunch of grant money to advocate this area for mountain biking, and then when locals complain that these mountain roads really aren't the safest anymore because you can go around a blind curve and there's a bunch of people on bicycles. Their response to that is that the government claims that there is no money to widen the roads to make them more bicycle friendly....and these are people who have set up for profit biking based businesses. You'd think they could perhaps use some of that grant money to print up some informational fliers outlining the dangers of riding their bikes down the middle of the road to distribute to their customers. They have huge mountain biking events over the summer where they hog up the city parks and they squeal like pigs for "volunteer help" during these events. If people want to donate their time that's fine, but we're talking about for profit events here. I'd be embarrassed to be begging the local community in SE for free labor. They have almost literally bankrupted the town by and applying for and getting any government grant they could and developing projects that they could not later sustain. Then they squeal like pigs when the government doesn't have any more cash for them to waste. And now some of them think that my front yard is an appropriate place for those who attend their events to park/camp out on. There are several campgrounds nearby by they cost money, which I guess is a concept that some of these event organizers don't understand unless they are spending someone else's money. They also didn't seem to understand a little something called the 2nd Amendment but that's another story.

And I happen to be a liberal myself.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,957,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
One personality type you rarely, if ever, find outside of the populated areas of Alaska is the scourge known as the urban liberal.

Steve The Liberal Calls The Savage Nation - YouTube

Quote:
Critical Mass rides have been perceived as protest and intimidation activities.
Critical Mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,991,748 times
[quote=Metlakatla;21686301
And I happen to be a liberal myself.[/QUOTE]

Yep...but the more you hang around the real liberals the more conservative you beome.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM

370 posts, read 877,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Glitch.. I've put myself in a "cubicle" kind of world for SO long for many reasons.. I've never felt complete and never could put my finger on it... a dramatic life change put me in a position to review my life and then a "chance" meeting and friendship put me in Alaska for almost a month.. Hard to explain the "feeling" and the need for Alaska (like Notam describes).. I'm not one to do anything on a "half cocked" whim... Yes there are special personalities that are drawn to Alaska.. that is one of the reasons I like it. Oh there are the good with the bad like any place else.. I was born at night but not last night LOL

I have my eyes wide open with the challenges I will face being a single income, female and know that if I don't do it now... I never will. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, blistered and work any type of job to get my heating bill paid and live the rest of my days where I feel I am meant to be... crazy hey??? just loving it
Hi,
edit=crud, referenced to wrong person!

I definately agree about there being a magnetic draw!
Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: