Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,154 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Mike and this is my first post here! Would like to get some info on alaska if i can.At the moment i live in ohio but recently found a job opportunity i'm thinking of applying for with a company called alaska commercial company.It offers a pay of 42k a year after their 6 month training and paid relocation and housing and utilities.Here are some of the training areas Aniak,Emmonak,Saint Mary's, Saint Michael's.After training i would be put in my own store.I am trying to learn as much as i can about Alaska and stumbled across this forum.So if anyone can tell me about living there about these areas, economy,Anything to help me i would be most greatful.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Alaska Commercial Company? Well, you need to be prepared to live remote. Couldn't hurt to apply and see where it goes. There's one in my area.

By remote I mean fly-in, no amenities like movie theaters, shopping centers, et al. Even a small town in Ohio is going to seem like a big city compared to the places you've mentioned. If you're cool with that it could turn out fine for you....but there's going to be some culture shock nonetheless. If you're adaptable it could work out fine...if not...give it a pass.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Aniak...Great scenery, small upriver hub village with a paved runway and direct Anchorage flights. Great fishing for all species of salmon, Dolly Varden, Grayling, and Rainbow Trout.

Emmonak...Small village at the middle mouth of the Yukon river. Not much going on there.

Saint Mary's...Sits at the mouth of the Andreafski River, great salmon fishing, grayling and dollies. Small village with Anchorage/Bethel flights.

Saint Micheal's...Never been there.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:49 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
It would be a good first adventure for you!

Travel light in case it isn't your dream job, but they have been in Alaska for a long time and I doubt they are going anywhere soon!

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM

460 posts, read 609,093 times
I think all of these villages are either damp, where you are allowed to import your own alcohol for your own personal use, or dry where you can not have alcohol at all in your home. The pay is pretty good, considering you get free housing, and probably a vehicle, but it is totally different than anything you have probably dreamed of. I think all of these places have a mostly Native (Eskimo, Indian, Aleut) population. Plan on long hours. With Aniak, you at least have daily one daily flight in and out. It is a hub area, with probably more non-locals traveling around. Its nice to see a new face every once in a while. Ask if your house has things like a washer and dryer.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks alot for the responses please keep them coming!! For the last person to post are you saying there is no housing in Aniak? I would have to fly in and out everyday?Thanks alot everyone this is helpful!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
AC might have housing, you can ask them. I don't know about the other places either.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Appreciate the replies! In these areas what is there to do if anything? Are you able to get internet and cable tv?Any restaurants?
Thanks for any additional information!!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 PM

460 posts, read 609,093 times
I meant that Aniak was a hub city in that there is daily plane service there. If AC provides the housing, it is probably local and within a couple of miles of the store. I know that there is approximately close to 500 people in the village and several villages withing 50 or so river miles from there. I have heard that it does not have any sit down restaurants, probably the other villages don't either. I think internet and cable are available in Aniak. Don't know about the other villages. Things about living in the bush. Gas for vehicles here is 7.15. Fuel oil (what you would use to heat your house) is 7.45. Electricity is .45 per kwh. Heating in some houses can run several hundred a month in the winter. No television is available unless you pay for it. Most likely, there is cell phone and the company that owns practically the whole bush area charges around $50 a month, but you can get calls in and out of the village on a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska