U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM

11,861 posts, read 6,987,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
it was 48 in minneapolis today. i guess i cant complain about how cold it is.
Haha 48?? that's sweatshirt weather
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,414,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Haha 48?? that's sweatshirt weather
Sweatshirt? T-Shirt

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 PM

215 posts, read 179,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Sweatshirt? T-Shirt
50 it's starting to get hot

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,360,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Let me show you something If I may that is beyond amazing; and proof positive of divine intervention.

Lets examine one silly verse in the book of Isaiah. God speaking says. Behold I am going to build a monumentin the middle of Egypt on the border.At first glance that statement seems impossible. How is it possible to build a monument in the middle of a country and be (located) on the border (of that same country?). IMPOSSIBLE is your first reaction.

There is a huge monument located in the middle of Egypt right smack dab on the border!

Lower Egypt is north. Upper Egypt is south . right on that border between those two. sits the great pyramid of Giza.
Firstly Isaiah was written in the 6th Century BCE. The Great pyramid was build in the 25th Century BCE, so it's possible that Isaiah had learned or even seen the great pyramid since it was already 19 centuries old at the time of Isaiah's writing. To use an analogy that's like saying a book written in 1985 stating "Great shining needles ride flames to the silver sky maiden" is a prediction of that the moon landings for your local cult de-jour, and proof of it's veracity.

Secondly the Giza Plateau is on the outskirts of Cairo, to the south was Memphis the seat of the lower kingdom of Egypt. The Upper Kingdom stretched from the first cataract of the Nile around Aswan to Dahshur with the capital in Thebes (Luxor), however it was extended further South by Ramesses II (a strong candidate for the Pharaoh in the book of Exodus) to Abu Simbel where he built a huge temple.

Here's a map for ya...

Now tell me again there's a big monument on the border in the middle of a country...

It's not in the middle of the country by far, and it's North of the capital of the Lower Kingdom, which I suspect was classed by the Lower Egyptians as "not on the border". Although you can convince yourself of anything I guess. Maybe in the "middle of the country" applies to weighted population density or something else we're not privy to

Last edited by Gungnir; 11-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: North, South, Meh!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 PM

21,010 posts, read 22,156,505 times

On The Border - YouTube

Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM

17,585 posts, read 11,192,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Sitydata - I agree with you that the Earth is going through its natural cycles. I don't think we are helping it either...

AGW or not, I still think that the Earth would be better off if we didn't pollute and we used renewable rather than limited resources. Granted, I am not trading in my Diesel Truck for a Volt/Leaf/Prius, etc...
All resources are renewable, it is only a question of the amount of time involved and the amount we use. Our ability to effect the planet's climate is laughable at best, hubris at worst, when compared to nature. For example, in 1991 the Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines the volcano spewed so much sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere that it lowered the entire planet's temperature by 1.2F for a period of almost two years. And that was only one eruption from one volcano.

Humans are the only species on the planet that are actually concerned about their environment. All other predators will hunt their prey to extinction, even at the cost of their own lives. All non-predators will consume every available resource until none exist, even at the cost of their own lives. Humans have at least some semblance of foresight.

If the goal of AGW believers is to "save the planet" then they are delusional, because the planet will survive just fine with or without us. In reality it is about saving the human species, or at the very least preserving the current environment so that humans do not have to adapt. In either case it is misguided, because the only way for a species to survive in the long run is by being able to adapt to an ever changing environment.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,762,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
don't hang out yer laundry then....could shatter too just like them nose hairs!..sure hope you got your blue seat in place!
Yep, at the cabin the blue foam is at the ready by the door!

Yeah, can't hang out the clothes in the subzero winds!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,418,458 times
Blue foam is a lifesaver when you need a warm place to sit!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,853,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Sweatshirt? T-Shirt
No kidding. Somewhere around the mid 30's is sweatshirt weather to me, and then somewhere around the low 20's is when I really start to get cold without a jacket on. But usually as the winter moves on those temperatures tend to decrease pretty significantly. Yay for acclimation!

In other news, it's about 50˚ warmer here than it is in Fairbanks. But it's blowing pretty good here on the mountain right now, hitting almost 30 mph.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 11-18-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,126,563 times
I spent several minutes in the freezer at work earlier! It was -10 degrees F, and the fans were blowing! Wearing a regular winter coat over a thin zipup sweatshirt (and my work shirt) kept me plenty warm. Leaving the freezer, I felt as though I was overheating! I took off the coat and sweatshirt, and if I could have done so, I also would have taken off my work shirt!

I know it's not the same thing as living in a place where the outdoor temperatures are as colder or colder for periods of weeks or months, but it is amazing still how after spending even just 10 minutes at temps that cold, going back to what seemed normal before now feels as though it is burning you up! (Hell, just the difference from -10 to about +40 while walking through the cooler felt very warm!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska