U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM

6,271 posts, read 7,919,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
What happens when you put more energy into a wave? Do the waves get bigger or smaller?
Energy doesn't go away, when something absorbs energy, or releases it, the energy just transfers elsewhere. You heat something the energy from the heat source which in turn was created from something else.

Every fall we hear how the ice is breaking off the South pole.... Well that is because it's spring there. When it refreezes in our spring, nobody says a word.

Fill up a glass with ice/water so the cubes are up above the level of the glass, then fill it with water to the brim, the ice will be floating above the surface of the glass rim. Let it melt... What happens? Nothing, the reason the water doesn't flow over the lip of the glass is that the density of the ice expands so it can float, as the water melts the ice, the ice contracts and the level of water stays the same. That is why with all this global melting hasn't changed the ocean's levels since most of the remaining ice is already on water.

During the "ice age", the ice was mostly on land and that did lower the oceans just like pulling an ice cube out of the glass and putting it on the table... At that point the water drops!

Aren't we suppose to have something like a twenty foot rise in the oceans now according to Gore's experts? Ain't going to happen, few inches at best if all the land bound ice melted.

Nature itself is going to decide if we survive here, and it will be a real mess when it's our time for extinction.I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 PM

3,783 posts, read 4,186,358 times
Sitydata - I agree with you that the Earth is going through its natural cycles. I don't think we are helping it either...

AGW or not, I still think that the Earth would be better off if we didn't pollute and we used renewable rather than limited resources. Granted, I am not trading in my Diesel Truck for a Volt/Leaf/Prius, etc...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,900,760 times
Yeah, that's why I don't refer to it as "global warming", I refer to it as "climate change", because that is a more accurate description of what's going on overall. I won't be buying a Prius or a Leaf anytime soon either, in fact I plan for my next vehicle to run on good ole unrefined, black smoky diesel. Well, really it's that new super-low-sulfur diesel or whatever that everyone's required to use, but you know what I mean. I just don't think it's deniable that we have had a hand in some of the changes that have taken place, especially the ozone hole, as I was talking about in some other thread. And now they say that we mostly fixed the ozone problem, and that the hole is closing, but nitrous oxide emissions (mostly from farming) are delaying that from happening as fast as it was going to.

In any case, I would trade our spastic Appalachian weather for a nice, crisp 25 below right about now, heheh. We need some snow, dammit. Everything is just brown right now.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,498,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Nah, I think it was his dad. Can't blame a kid for something his dad did. Heh.
Well the bible clearly states.

John 1:1 Jesus is the word of God (ho logos)

John 1: 2 All things were made by the word and without the word was not anything made that was made.

John 1:14 The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.

"children often come up with mere dreams of fantasy" not based on actual facts.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,900,760 times
Yeah, but while we're quoting bible verses here, it also clearly state in genesis somewhere that "god created the heaven and the earth". And that's the old testament, before ole Jesus was born. So, seems to me that it was Jesus's dad who built this place, if you're going by the bible. Plus, how can a person be "the word"? The bible contradicts itself all the time because it is a book of symbolism, not to be taken literally. There is historical value in some of it, sure, but it's basically a big, symbolic book that summarizes a way of life that some folks live.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,785,586 times
First the popcorn. Then the lock.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,498,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah, but while we're quoting bible verses here, it also clearly state in genesis somewhere that "god created the heaven and the earth". And that's the old testament, before ole Jesus was born. So, seems to me that it was Jesus's dad who built this place, if you're going by the bible. Plus, how can a person be "the word"? The bible contradicts itself all the time because it is a book of symbolism, not to be taken literally. There is historical value in some of it, sure, but it's basically a big, symbolic book that summarizes a way of life that some folks live.
Yes Genesis 1:1 and why is Elohim (God) written in the plural sense.

There was never a time when God could not speak. His word or voice was not born or created. It always existed.

God said: let light be. The Word(s) created that light !!

This is too far over your head to understand Ship!!

FYI Jesus made 3 appearances in the Old Testament (before he was born).

Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,828,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
"children often come up with mere dreams of fantasy" not based on actual facts.
Ooohhhh so true!...an one did state he was a child and will always be!....the world is simply evolving, no divine intervention is happening...man is abusing natural resources for greed....if some where not so arrogant to think they are the only educated one...there might be a worthwhile discussion on global warming!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,546,387 times
Just another novel written by some guy, or woman that was high on mushrooms.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,828,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Just another novel written by some guy, or woman that was high on mushrooms.
yup just like in 100 yrs the bible of the renaissance church! it's how most all got started! most are based on "rules to follow" not introspective of ones being for living.

Last edited by blueflames50; 11-18-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska