U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,574,101 times
Default "I can see Russia from my house"

Well that now famous phrase by Palin that has distorted from what it intent was, is still basically true for most Alaskans in spirit.

Russians "owned" Alaska for 100+ years, had towns established here and there is still a lot of Russian bloodlines here. Many of the local natives here have Russian names (lots of tepee creeping went on) and there is a wealth of influnced design and overall heritage still here. The Russian Orthadox Church is still a big influance in much of rural Alaska as well!

With the Show "Flying Alaska" the term seems to be used a lot when they are flying out to Little Diomede island where you can physically see Russia from their front door.

The cold war started the massive early warning system site to "Look" into Russian Airspace. Now we have radar systems that bounce off the atmosphere and look down into Russia from Alaska. Not counting satellites from both sides looking down on us.

What Palin was referring to is that Alaska is basically our next door neighbor and we can see each other.

Many of the Russians still believe they own Alaska and have even used it in election campaigns that they should take it back. While I would hope that would never be the case, we are on the same par as was the Faulkland Islands when Argentina decided to take them back to divert attention to their own domestic issues. Thus ensued the war and loss of life when England kicked them back out.

At some point when the world economies start to collapse and Politicions are looking for a diversion to shift the blame off themselves, Alaska could become a pawn in the big picture. Yeah we have a military here. But we are not that secure either, couple of subs in the Gulf of Alaska and no freight would make it to Alaska and the AlCan could be shut down with a few blown bridges.

Anyway, Alaskans can truely see Russia from our front door! (Not physically, but as a refferance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,312,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well that now famous phrase by Palin that has distorted from what it intent was, is still basically true for most Alaskans in spirit.
Actually, Palin never said those words. Palin really said "You can see Russia from Parts of Alaska", which is a factually accurate statement.

It was Tina Fey on SNL that said "I can see Russia from my house." And of course the professional LIARS in the media went on to perpetuate the myth that it came directly from Palin (to help boost their pet, Obama naturally).

And as you clearly point out, the real intent of the statement was to demonstrate an actual point - of how closely inteconnected Alaska is with Russia. But of course that touch of common sense is entirely out of reach of the average consumer of mass media in this society.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,670,999 times
Russia trying to retake Alaska would be a huge mistake. Hopefully it is just rhetoric...

Old 11-19-2011, 01:30 PM

215 posts, read 174,791 times
Russia has always kept a close eye on it's boarder, when we - the Storis - got near the line Russan jet's would show up and monitor us flying by until we were back inside our space by 10 miles. Once we went into their waters and they flew several passes less than 100 ft from us, you could see the pilots faces. This was during the grain embargo against russia, 79 I think. Don't mess with the ruskies.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,794,256 times
I think you can see Big Diomede from Wales, on the Seward Peninsula. And they said that the people on Little Diomede call Big Diomede "Tomorrow Island" because BD is 20 hours ahead of LD. I'm not sure why it's only 20, though. I guess because the dateline curves west after the divide between Big and Little Diomede, but I don't know what time zone there is that's west of Aleutian Time. Must be something though, or else it would be 23 hours, right?

Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM

215 posts, read 174,791 times
I've got a cerificate for crossing the International date line and some other one for going up and out there. Hummmmm - might be for crossing arctic circle.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,670,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakester View Post
I've got a cerificate for crossing the International date line and some other one for going up and out there. Hummmmm - might be for crossing arctic circle.
Neat... Don't want to mess with Ruskies, would rather be friends anyways... There is more for each of us to gain by being "friends" then enemies. I am actually hoping that the International Space Station helps bring our countries/cultures closer to each other, but friends don't invade other friends countries though! Having said that, I can see rising tension over the Arctic and the natural resources located there.

It would be a unique experience if you could fly to Little Diomede and walk to Big Diomede and then you could say you walked from Alaska to Russia!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:36 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,574,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Actually, Palin never said those words. Palin really said "You can see Russia from Parts of Alaska", which is a factually accurate statement.

It was Tina Fey on SNL that said "I can see Russia from my house." And of course the professional LIARS in the media went on to perpetuate the myth that it came directly from Palin (to help boost their pet, Obama naturally).

And as you clearly point out, the real intent of the statement was to demonstrate an actual point - of how closely inteconnected Alaska is with Russia. But of course that touch of common sense is entirely out of reach of the average consumer of mass media in this society.

You're right, but it's been repeated so many time most people are clueless about it I didn't feel like trying to change the masses with that fact, just the point that Alaska is tied to Russians in more cases than just close. Besides, if I titled the thread with what she really said, nobody would have read the thread!

Gotta admit thought Tina did do a killer impression of Palin, even if it was satire!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,794,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9
Gotta admit thought Tina did do a killer impression of Palin, even if it was satire!
Haha, yeah she did. And she's hot too!

So what was the deal with the guy on Flying Wild being so paranoid about hitting Russian airspace when on approach to Little Diomede? Would the Russians really care that much if a twin-engine Cessna crossed into their airspace by a wingtip? Would they even notice? Just seems like a bit of over-dramatization, but then again airspace is often really tightly controlled so I could see how it might be more of an issue than one might think. Still, you would think they would understand that Era is not coming to invade their country, but merely dropping off critical supplies to a very isolated village.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM

4,988 posts, read 5,312,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You're right, but it's been repeated so many time most people are clueless about it I didn't feel like trying to change the masses with that fact, just the point that Alaska is tied to Russians in more cases than just close. Besides, if I titled the thread with what she really said, nobody would have read the thread!

Yes, I thought it was funny, and even Sarah thought so as well. The problem though is that the so-called impartial media then used what was clearly intended to be a comedy sketch for their nefarious purposes of rigging an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska