Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM

370 posts, read 882,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
A woman captured this shot of a rare albino deer outside of Milwaukee recently. Pretty cool.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/MJS..._WHITETAIL.jpg
Hi,
There is a place near western Chicago where I used to go running on the trails that had quite a few "white" deer. Gosh, let me see if I can even remember the name of the place!...

Ah, found it. I used to jog the trails at Waterfall Glenn Forest preserve which houses Argonne national laboratories, (or a part of it.)

LocalHikes - Waterfall Glen
Argonne's White Deer: Dwindling, But Not Departed - Darien, IL Patch

Hey, very glad to read this thread because it made me do a search about this. I used to see those deer frequently when I was younger, at the trails, and then not at all since about '94 ish.
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM

41 posts, read 49,454 times
As far as wolfdogs being dangerous unpredictable and all that.. its inly because they are extremely missunderstood.. They can in fact make great companions as long as you know what your doing, know how to handle them and give them love and care they need. Only time ive ever seem them dangerous is when people who dont know what there doing or how properly take care of them or abuse them. And yes high contents can be alot harder take care of then any other dog breed there not to be treated as a pet and more so a companion. I dont agree with taking wild wolves out the wild. But wolfdogs can be great companions if you know what your doing and live longer happier life as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:33 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
And that's the reason they are against the law here. Because people think they can make great companions as long as you know what you're doing....

Old 11-27-2011, 12:28 AM

And thats reason many people need to be properly educated, learn and do the reasearch required before owning them. Then again that saying goes for any animal regardless wether its a cat, lab, retriever, ferret, wahtever animal it maybe you should do the research before and make sure you can properly take care of any animal you get. And if you dont think you can take care of them and properly train them then you shouldnt get them.. There maybe lots wolfdogs in rescues and shelters but there are every other type dog in shelters and rescues and reason being is people dont know what there getting into before hand..

So before anyone gets any animal they need do research and training. Wolfdogs maybe need more attention but so do many other breeds. its no difference. other then the stupidity and igorance of people not learning. Then again some people just arent meant have animals in there possesion and one incident can give them a bad name. Look at pitbulls they have a horrible name and everyone fears them yet they are great dogs and nothing fear in hands of someone who will properly care for them.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Local News : Wolf Country USA raided - Frontiersman (http://frontiersman.com/articles/2011/06/17/local_news/doc4dfa5f5e6b185225122064.txt - broken link)

Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
I have been close to people with wolf hybrids. One good friend has several at a time. They were very interesting animals. Some of them were mostly wolf. They acted very different than a dog.

One of them I called the alligator because it had jaws like that. It would come up to the window when we were inside and open it's mouth wide against the window. It had a mouth like an alligator

Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Wolf country usa was a bad example of a breeder that mistreated there animals and didnt properly train or take care there animals. Yes there are lot of idiots out there and yes there are alot bad breeders and even breeders that misrepresent there animals claiming there high content when there not. Yet tehre are many good breeders out there and good responisbly owners that properly take care of and train there animals...

Wolf country usa was not one of those... And as i said before all it takes is one person or one incident and its all over news or getting bad reputation.. same as other breeds such as i mentioned before like the pitbull. only reasons why wolf hybrids get bad name is cause bad owners same as any other breed of dog..

you have to remember dogs came from wolves and wolves were the very first dogs and companions way back in the day. They have been used by the native americans, dog sleders, and also made some the best search and rescue dogs ever cause no other dog has the sensories that can compare to a wolf or wolf hybrid.

So yes its all within the owners responsiblity for wolf hybrids to gain the proper knowledge of them and how to properly train and care for them. just as any other breed or animal you own. And if they get loose or cause damage then its not on the animal its on the owner for being a bad owner not properly caring for and any damage or anything else caused by wolf hybrid or any other animal for that matter should be paid for or taken care of by the owner and one responsible for there animals.

It only takes one incident, and for wolf hybrids whom many fear cause stories and big bad wolves they here about makes it worse for them.. When there greatly misunderstood in the first place.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,458 times
So I'm curious. Have you had a wolf hybrid before, or known people who did? I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences if you have, and also about Marty's.

Wolves are beautiful animals and they fascinate me, but I think it would be awfully easy to idealize them, and even romanticize the idea of owning one.

I have never actually been around a hybrid, but I have read about them, both the good and the bad, and would like to have some first-hand accounts. I do not tend to buy into scare stories about any breed (I adore pit bulls, most that I've met are goofy-friendly), but this is one time where I think those who discourage a breeding practice have a point, and that the animals could be quite unstable.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM

I have yet to own a wolf hybrid due to the fact that ive been in the military and moved around alot. But yes i have known many that have had them and been around few. yes they can be dangerous in wrong hands but that goes with any breed.

I wouldnt rec. taking a wild wolf out the wild or try to intervene and play with them as if they were a pet or animal you owned. wolf hybrids are just that. hybrids and under laws and by the akc are considered dogs.

Those that discourage breeding practices and that dont condone wolfdogs are those that misunderstand them and dont know much about them. That doesnt mean take a wild wolf out the wild to breed with dogs.

There are many good breeders out there and many good owners. and just like any other breed not everyone should have one. to someone perfect companion maybe a lab while to others a wolfdog and others a cat or ferret. so all stories you here about such as wolf country usa up there that shut down and other bad breeders and owners where the animals are taken to shelters and sanctuaries are because they were bad breeders and impluse buyers who didnt know what they were getting themselves into and just thought it would be "cool" couldnt handle them and dropped them off somewhere else.

And thats where alot of the problems come from and why so many dont agree with owning or having them. Like said before thats with any breed just some get more attention and bad reps then others.

I have yet to own one but would like to, and while i havent ive done lots of research over the years as well as talked to many breeders and been around those who have wolfdogs. And in the right hands and with proper training and care they can make just as good a companion as any. doesnt mean there right for everyone.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
So I'm curious. Have you had a wolf hybrid before, or known people who did? I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences if you have, and also about Marty's.
My parents had one from a rescue when I was a kid. It was balls-out crazy. Beautiful animal, and smart, but really unpredictable. One of my folks was a professional animal trainer and worked with it from the time it was a pup, and even so you had to be pretty careful around it. Probably wasn't a great idea to try to make it into a pet.

I'm sure there are some hybrids that end up with a good combination of the qualities of a wolf and of a dog but IMO you're just as likely to end up with a neurotic mess. IMO if someone wants a wolfy dog they should just get a wolfy breed of dog; there are plenty of them out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska