Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
have spent summers in Ak, own land on the Kenai already and just wait'n on selling this house to move ! yup no old beautiful architecture in Alaska!!....
I am so happy for you. I can't wait to hear how you've settled in....love your pics btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Every time I go visit my youngest daughter in Oklahoma the inflow of illegal aliens seems to have gotten worse. Then after talking to some of my police friends down there they say the same thing. It's a very real problem that has the ability to destroy our economy.
I think it can help and hurt. Although they may be illegals...they work and then they buy and in most states there is a sales tax that they have to pay just like everybody else. On the other side...there is SS and Federal tax that is not getting paid or getting paid under a bogus name and ss#. But there again...I am a rule follower. Do it the right and legal way.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I think it can help and hurt. Although they may be illegals...they work and then they buy and in most states there is a sales tax that they have to pay just like everybody else. On the other side...there is SS and Federal tax that is not getting paid or getting paid under a bogus name and ss#. But there again...I am a rule follower. Do it the right and legal way.
It also drives down the labor rate and companies that use the illegal labor have an unfair advantage. Thereby, it reduces the labor rate that us citizens can make. Also, they may buy certain things here, but make no mistake, alot of them come here to export cash back to their home country.

It is a little more complicated than that. Granted, I don't want to dig ditches or pick fruit 14 hours a day in the summer for $5/hr either...

I don't know what the answer is - other than if they are here illegally deport them, if you don't want to do that, make them legal... This ignore it policy is worse than the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy that was in the military.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Hmmm. What about bats?
Yes there are bats, something I recently learned-a local from my home town told me and wondered how long I have lived here. I had only seen them in the lower 48.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,238,519 times
I had bats around my place in Wasilla, was nice to see. They fly into some of the abandoned mines where it stays a constant temp for the winter. A Small Brown Bat, the ones in AK, need it to be about 30° during hibernation, and their fur covers with dew drops to keep them warm.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
I had bats around my place in Wasilla, was nice to see. They fly into some of the abandoned mines where it stays a constant temp for the winter. A Small Brown Bat, the ones in AK, need it to be about 30° during hibernation, and their fur covers with dew drops to keep them warm.
Good to know that guy wasn't pulling my leg! I was surprised because my dad, a Michigander like you, had given me a pretty thorough education on local flora and fauna.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 AM

370 posts, read 882,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i will take another trip next summer to go fishing, and then take a short trip during the winter, just so i know what i would be getting myself into...and then if i still cant get AK off my mind, i will put in my job transfer packet....
Hi,
There are always travel nurse jobs, right? A coworker of mine's girlfriend got a travel nurse job for 6 weeks or maybe it was 16...and they paid for her to move and her apartment fees/housing fees were included above her pay. Not a bad idea?
Jen

Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
yeah but i wont leave my job-i work for the federal govt..too much time in and dont want to lose my pay/benefits/seniority/retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,
There are always travel nurse jobs, right? A coworker of mine's girlfriend got a travel nurse job for 6 weeks or maybe it was 16...and they paid for her to move and her apartment fees/housing fees were included above her pay. Not a bad idea?
Jen

Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 AM

370 posts, read 882,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yeah but i wont leave my job-i work for the federal govt..too much time in and dont want to lose my pay/benefits/seniority/retirement.
Hi,

That is right, I forgot you mentioned you are word for the gov't, (civil service, GS?) Perhaps you could try a temporary duty assignment there for a year! A TDY with option to make it a permanent change of station?

Best. OH, BTW, I realized the other day that I could never move back and live in Chicago. Texas has spoilt me! All this "sky" is not possible, with the exception of the sky over Lake Michigan, back home.

I told my friend's family at Thanksgiving dinner that I am really excited about Alaska and don't know if I'd be able to stay there beyond my three years but, do know now, after TEXAS, that Chicago can never be "home" again.
Jen

Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
yes Gennaver-civil service/GS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska