Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
hey yea...tigre....it just dawned on me...that i didnt see lots of, if any, fences in AK like here in rural Texas where i live-here everything is fenced and cross-fenced and also lots of high-fenced ranches for exotics and high-dollar management trophy hunts...why is there such little fencing in AK?
Because most of it is publicly owned and most of what is privately owned isn't used for agriculture, so there's no reason to fence it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Do you like good BBQ - Texas or otherwise? You definitely won't find anything like that up here. And that pretty much applies to any type of fine dining or eating out here. Other than a few 5 star restaurants, if you like wide varieties of good food the "best" places in AK would only rate mediocre (or worse) in the -48.

I usually gain several pounds on my trips down south - all of our time is spent pigging-out at our favorite restaurants!
My one trip to the south, when I visited a friend in Charleston, sold me forever on Southern food. And I grew up not far from Kansas City, another BBQ mecca. If you want those dishes, you'll probably need to make them at home. (As I had to learn to in Missouri to get decent grits!)

But if you like sushi or Thai, Anchorage is a great place to eat.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
thats awesome-so lots of places that have public access, right? here in Texas, if you dont live on your own ranch, you have a hard time finding a place to go fourwheeling or muddin'

quote=tigre79;21841010]Because most of it is publicly owned and most of what is privately owned isn't used for agriculture, so there's no reason to fence it.[/quote]

Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM

i absolutely LOVE sushi and Thai....two of my favorite types of food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
My one trip to the south, when I visited a friend in Charleston, sold me forever on Southern food. And I grew up not far from Kansas City, another BBQ mecca. If you want those dishes, you'll probably need to make them at home. (As I had to learn to in Missouri to get decent grits!)

Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:

Yes, it is odd that we actually have Thai food covered here. There are several excellent places in Anc.

I've also had to teach myself how to make authentic Chinese dishes though. But even that doesn't satisfy the cravings for some of our old favorites down south.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
sorry i reckon my post was misinterpreted..i simply asked if it was true there are no illegal aliens in AK...didnt mean to sound racist. it was just a sincere question in response to the person who posted that there are none found working in fast food places in AK
I wasn't calling you racist. I wouldn't know whether someone was an illegal alien or not up in Alaska. I do know there are plenty of different people from other countries living in Alaska. I've never read any news stories about deportation, except for that unregistered fishing boat caught in Alaska water recently. Those guys were deported.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 PM

it was VERY odd to see the purple Thai food truck at the Glennallen truckstop, which after my trip, i learned it is very good...wish i had stopped to taste some!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yes, it is odd that we actually have Thai food covered here. There are several excellent places in Anc.

I've also had to teach myself how to make authentic Chinese dishes though. But even that doesn't satisfy the cravings for some of our old favorites down south.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
I miss tomatoes. Big, fat, vine-ripened tomatoes, still warm from the sun. And outdoor swimming pools.

Gawd, this could degenerate into a whine-fest. If I post on this thread again, I want someone to slap me with an Alaskan salmon.

Where do I sign up for this Salmon Slapping?

Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
There are plenty of people from other countries working at McDonald's, Carl's Jr, etc. I was at Carl's Jr in midtown Anchorage and the employees-mostly Philipino or Samoan, were arguing amongst themselves loud enough for everybody to hear. But do we need racist comments? No!
You should not make racist comments then. McDonalds hiring of illegal aliens in the lower 48 States is just a fact. That's the reality of it.

Immigration raids net 21 at Phoenix-area McDonald's | news10.net

McDonald

Illegal aliens caught working in McDonald

Illegal aliens hired at 11 Reno McDonald's - UPI.com

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
illegal aliens from mexico who can't speak or understand english working behind the counter of mcdonalds.
We have a lot of these in here

That said, the OP will miss:

a. Cheap gasoline
b. Cheaper way to heat his (or her) home
c. Daylight during the winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska